Maturing technology markets are anything but cyclical. There's no reason for Blackberry to automatically come into favor again. As others have mentioned, Apple revolutionized three new categories of mobile technology. Does Blackberry have something like that in the works? HP said they did with Palm but ended up with nothing.
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    08-08-13 02:51 PM
    Market are not always cyclical. This is one of the most commonly misused adages. What does it mean for a market to be cyclical? It usually means that the same company selling the exact same product (or close to it) will be awarded or punished by arbitrary forces in regular intervals.

Real estate and automobiles are two good examples of cyclical markets. Little change about houses or cars over the years; but, real estate and automobile markets can regularly be projected to rise and dip along with the economy, interest rates, inflation etc. Automakers like Chrysler or GM have been threatened numerous times to be rise back up again for little apparent reason.

Technology is the least cyclical as they come. Products are constantly evolving and there are no arbitrary awards or punishments. There is absolutely no reason to believe that a BB OS7 kepad phone will rise back to popularity in the future. Consumers purchase based on the (new) features of the product rather than arbitrary, uncontrollable external cyclical forces.

That is the basics to understanding cycles.
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    08-08-13 02:55 PM
    We all know this, trends com and go and come again. What once was big is now small, only to grow again.
    Apple was the bomb before, then they kicked out Jobs, and they tanked. They came back under his guidance, and now where are they now that he is gone.......

iPhone sinks as Android seizes market share | Fox News

Microsoft could do no wrong in the 90's and even though they still dominate in the desktop market, there public perception is horrible. Most of the people I know hate Micorsoft and anything that they touch.

BlackBerry invented the smartphone, and anyone that was anyone had a BlackBerry. Right now Android is dominating the market, both in specs, UI, hardware, creativity, everything! Now I don't want to hear about how specs really don't matter and that BB10is better, blah blah blah. The lay person, which is the vast majority of the market believes this, and when they walk in to a store for an upgrade they see specs, and apps and base there purchase on that. I am all in for BB, I have almost 40 lines, BESX, and am upgrading to BES10 when I feel 100% confident that BB is in it for the long haul. I love the security, I love the qwerty, peak and flow are just plain awesome!!! But I am not the norm, and most CB readers are not either, truly very few people on any of the Talk Mobile sites will every change from the die hard fan that they currently are. So BB needs to blow the doors off the people that don't visit any of these sites and walk in to the store and buy a new phone in 20 minutes with very little if any research. They need the WOW factor!!!

Either that, or they just need to wait around for it to be there turn again. Its really up to them.
    FYI, Jobs was never kicked out, he abandoned ship when Apple was sinking much like the execs are doing at BBRY. I would never of called Apple "The Bomb" in the 90's. They were lucky they kept their head above water as long as they did without going bankrupt.

I cannot see a time where it will be BBRY's turn again at the state in which they currently envision the market. But time will tell....
    08-08-13 04:54 PM
    Microsoft could do no wrong in the 90's and even though they still dominate in the desktop market, there public perception is horrible. Most of the people I know hate Micorsoft and anything that they touch
    Not true. Microsoft was even more reviled back then, but they were untouchable in the 90s due to their unprecedented dominance.
    Their Image is much better these days. The Xbox 360 is immensely popular and Windows Phone has pretty good user satisfaction ratings.

BlackBerry invented the smartphone
    No. No they did not.
    08-09-13 04:26 AM
    This thread labours under so many odd ideas it is hard to know where to start - of particular note is the idea that companies take it in turns to be on top and some invisible (hand?) force or balance ensures that this happens - that is why no company ever has failed anywhere...

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 2
    08-09-13 04:35 AM
    This thread labours under so many odd ideas it is hard to know where to start - of particular note is the idea that companies take it in turns to be on top and some invisible (hand?) force or balance ensures that this happens - that is why no company ever has failed anywhere...

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 2
    In for a penny in for a pound.
    08-09-13 05:28 AM
31 12