I just caught Mark Saltzman's review of smart phone platforms on Canada AM this morning. Mark is a big Apple fanboy and CTV derives a substantial amount of advertising dollars from Apple. His conclusion was that the IPhone was wonderful, Android was not too easy to use, and that BlackBerry was great for messaging, but no fun. He made no mention of the upcoming BlackBerry 10 and even speculated that Windows would supplant BlackBerry as the third major ecosystem. So much for balanced reporting from a Canadian news outlet.
    07-23-12 07:38 AM
    What's wrong with what he said? I don't think anyone disagrees that Apple has the most apps and games and is the most "fun" phone or that Blackberrys are fantasitc as communication devices.

BB10 is at least 6 months away and is a massive unknown. What could he say about it other than it's a new OS? Did he mention either the iPhone 5 or iOS 6?
    07-23-12 08:26 AM
    Are we really going to do another one of these "the media is in Apples pocket and have it in for RIM" threads?

Mr. Saltzman is entitled to his opinion. If said opinion bothers you the simplest course is to stop listening to him.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 07-23-12 at 09:55 AM.
    know.nothing and pri79269 like this.
    07-23-12 08:30 AM
    I don't see what's wrong with what he said.

What did you want him to say?
    07-23-12 09:09 AM
    Yeah I agree with the commenters above.. doesn't sound like he told any "untruths". I've heard worse made-up-stuff in the media which really bugs me. Hopefully he stays objective once BB10 is released but for me I like the facts stated with a touch of opinion.. not the other way around.

RIM and BB10 does have their work cut out for them though
    07-23-12 09:25 AM
    1) I fail to see anything he said that was not true. Not sure where the teeth gnashing is coming in.

2) CTV is owned by Bell. Bell networks pretty evenly advertise all platforms. I was watching during prime time the other night and saw ads for Bell which showed the 9900, Nexus and SGS 3, a Mac book ad, and an iPhone as well as a SGS ad from Samsung. TSN is owned by Bell, ever watch a Jays game? There is BB stuff everywhere during that with their sponsorship. Same with the NHL, BB is everywhere during games because of their sponsorship with the PB.

I disagree that CTV is biased towards any platform and saw nothing that Saltzman said that deserves the breathless angry chant of BIASED. There are so many unknowns right now with BB10 what did you want him to do, say everything is sunshine and lollipops and rainbows and make stuff up so as to not offend anyone?

There is no evidence that CTV or Saltzman did anything wrong here. It's turning into a witch hunt.

Sent from mah brainzzzzz via Galaxy S III and Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by reeneebob; 07-23-12 at 09:46 AM.
    07-23-12 09:44 AM
    I just caught Mark Saltzman's review of smart phone platforms on Canada AM this morning. Mark is a big Apple fanboy and CTV derives a substantial amount of advertising dollars from Apple. His conclusion was that the IPhone was wonderful, Android was not too easy to use, and that BlackBerry was great for messaging, but no fun. He made no mention of the upcoming BlackBerry 10 and even speculated that Windows would supplant BlackBerry as the third major ecosystem. So much for balanced reporting from a Canadian news outlet.
    Based on demand for iPhones... it must be a wonder.

Android is a little fractured (different manufactured UI) and not everything is served up on a golden platter like it is with Apple... which is why some like it.

BlackBerry is a great communication tool, but CURRENTLY lacks much of the content (fun stuff) that they other platforms do. And for most current (non OS7) owners it is an underpowered and slow performing device.

A large percentage of people use Windows based computers and office software. Microsoft's current Windows phone has been positively reviewed and many people like it, they just don't love it yet. But with Windows 8 that is due out before the end of the year - and Microsoft has been talking about quite a bit.... the whole going from the desktop, to a tablet to your phone MIGHT be seamless and this has alot of people excited.

BB10.... what is there to say? Has RIM release some details as to how BB10 is going to be a truly different experience from iOS or Android? Any hardware specification to talk about? Any word on how they will provide the content that is missing for the current BlackBerry ecosystem? Any reason to trust that there will be a BB10 device out anytime soon?

Seems like he pretty much hit the nail on the head.
    07-23-12 10:47 AM
    Noooooooo he is teh biased! Burn the witch! :banghead:

Saltzman is one of the more non biased tech guys. He simply likes tech. If he had said that BB10 will unicorns there would be calls to throw a parade in his honour. But represent the nebulous nature of where BB10 stands and its bias. There was simply nothing wrong with what he said.

Sent from mah brainzzzzz via Galaxy S III and Tapatalk 2
    07-23-12 10:55 AM
    Are we really going to do another one of these "the media is in Apples pocket and have it in for RIM" threads?

Mr. Saltzman is entitled to his opinion. If said opinion bothers you the simplest course is to stop listening to him.
    He is indeed entitled to his opinion that BBM is great on "iPhone" while holding up the white Bold and talking about the Blackberry platform. Other than the OP, nobody saw the piece right? Does it make sense to say "this phone has an old fashioned keyboard" because "a lot of people don't like touchscreen phones". He's got a touchscreen phone in his hand but it's the only one of the four phones that he deliberately avoids touching the screen. Why? Because he's entitled to his opinion that BlackBerry doesn't make touchscreen phones?
    07-23-12 12:16 PM
    He is indeed entitled to his opinion that BBM is great on "iPhone" while holding up the white Bold and talking about the Blackberry platform. Other than the OP, nobody saw the piece right? Does it make sense to say "this phone has an old fashioned keyboard" because "a lot of people don't like touchscreen phones". He's got a touchscreen phone in his hand but it's the only one of the four phones that he deliberately avoids touching the screen. Why? Because he's entitled to his opinion that BlackBerry doesn't make touchscreen phones?
    I absolutely did see it. Please don't tell me what I did and didn't do. And no, I see nothing wrong with his report, regardless of the filter you're feeding it through, and you are feeding it through a filter. And having owned a 9900, it has a touchscreen but it's so small, it's not exactly a true touchscreen experience whne I compare it to the full touchscreen phones I've used, including the Storm (and I didn't mind the Storm). It was easier to use the trackpad because the screen was so small on the 9900. People were freaking out about BB10 releasing touchscreen only first. So, BB fans can't have it both ways - either the keyboard is better or not. Have you watched more of Mark Saltzman than this one story? He is so far from biased it's not funny.
    07-23-12 01:28 PM
    I think its "fair to say" that Apple is the current market leader in the "household". Android is fragmented and "techie", BlackBerry is in transition (plus is known as a "business" phone).

Not much news here OP. Until BB10 releases with consumer "fun" apps BB will just be left out of the conversation. Thank god its relatively easy to port games from Android and IOS! BB10 could be very awesome and fun! Too bad we have to wait though
    07-23-12 01:35 PM
    There are several (most) journalists out there who are just silly-minded. This guy is one of them, along with the rest of them who speak on Canadian radio.

Having said that, did you catch the piece with that female/womyn/lady/man-hater talking about how degrading Magic Mike is a couple weeks back? CBC Radio, and most other "talk radio with a hole (yes, like a person referred to as an "opening")" is just garbage that makes Canadian listeners feel intelligent when they listen to it, as if they came up with the garbage themselves.

I should give credit where it's due though, there was someone who spoke on CBC Radio who actually ACKNOWLEDGED the Rimpire going on over in, you know, NOT-America.
    07-23-12 01:42 PM
    My initial post was not to dispute Mr Saltzman's assessment of the current state of affairs, other then referring to the "keyboard" white IPhone. The problem that I had was his assessment of the future "big three".
    If you're going to speculate on which platform is going to be in third place, you might want to mention that the launch of Bb10 is not far off. His presentation left the average consumer with the impression that Microsoft had a "new" phone experience and Blackberry was mired in the past. As we all know, the reality is a little more complex then he would have people believe.
    I expect a little more from a journalist. Especially from a Canadian journalist.
    07-23-12 03:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD