I know similar discussion have been had, but no good answers, so I am asking this with a twist.

I would like the blackberry to not automatically mark a message read... ever. Let me decide to mark something read or not.

In Outlook, I do this by using the preview pane, and disabling the automatic options. This way, an email is only marked read when I say it is.

On the bb, I would like the same functionality. If I read a message, let me decide to mark read or not. Now I mark as unread all the time, but it would be better for me to not automatically mark read.

Is there any way to make this happen?
    08-12-10 08:24 AM
    I don't believe there is. You can go back and manually change the read status, but I understand that's not what you're asking.
    08-12-10 08:32 AM
    If you read the message, it will get marked as being read.

There's no "Preview Pane" mode.
    08-12-10 08:35 AM
    Hmmm ... I wonder why I have a "confirm mark prior opened" feature in my message options. I have mine set for "no.". I'll have to try setting it for "yes" to see what happens.
    08-12-10 10:33 AM
    On second thought, I suppose I might want to not read some messages and mark them opened anyway necessitating an option for "confirm mark prior open."
    08-12-10 10:36 AM
    You want to read a message but have your BB think you did not read it? Why?
    08-12-10 10:40 AM
    The difference between Outlook and BB is that Outlook has a preview pane and BB doesn't. If you actually open the email in Outlook (not preview) it is marked read.

I agree that it could be a useful option, but I don't think it is anything we will see in the near future (or even the distant future).
    08-12-10 11:04 AM
    Hmmm ... I wonder why I have a "confirm mark prior opened" feature in my message options. I have mine set for "no.". I'll have to try setting it for "yes" to see what happens.
    Is is referring the a "bulk" mark as read command -- which can be done by highlighting a date field on the messages screen and selecting "mark prior opened", to mark all items prior to that date opened. If you have it set to "YES" it will make you confirm this action if you select it, otherwise it just does it.
    08-12-10 11:04 AM
    I'm guessing if there is a read receipt on the message the op doesn't want that going to the sender for whatever reason.
    08-12-10 11:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD