Why do so many people overlook the simplest explanation?

It's no secret that the Blackberry ecosystem is in a transitional stage. Until the transition is complete, you can't expect everybody else to participate in the transition.

The PB/BB10 operating system and the development tools are still being developed, and not complete. By all accounts, sure, it's getting much closer to maturity, but still not quite finished.

It wouldn't be irrational logic to conclude that Netflix and many others are simply waiting for BB10 to be complete before committing resources to begin development. Especially for a company that is very dependent on ensuring that a suitable DRM model is in place. Not many are going to commit when they see a high potential for numerous OS updates that could require frequent re-writes.

Or is it just more exciting to scream "conspiracy"?
    This is closest to being the right answer. My only correction would be that there is a perception that RIM is on its deathbed. Companies are not going to commit resources until this perception is proved wrong.
    02-26-12 03:05 PM
    Boycott Netflix. No Berry coverage is just pure arrogance.
    02-26-12 03:32 PM
    Occupy Netflix. Have at it.
    02-26-12 03:34 PM
    Boycott Netflix. No Berry coverage is just pure arrogance.
    Arrogance? RIM is up there as well.

I read a comment in a different thread that went something like "Netflix has had almost a year to develop an app for the PB, this is ridiculous". If Netflix doesn't want to support the BB platform that is their choice. There is no law saying they have to.
    02-26-12 03:38 PM
    For you the user, it may well be functional, and a simple matter to repackage. But from the developer/support side it's a different matter entirely. Ensuring suitable DRM methods are in place isn't always a simple matter of repackaging, QA checks to ensure it works as well as they would prefer, support tickets for a device for which the app was not specifically designed for, etc...

I know if I were on the development team, I'd sooner choose to produce a native app designed to take advantage of and run reliably specific to that platform. And for that, I'd wait until BB10 was out, development tools complete, and the ecosystem established.
    bottom line. if netflix was waiting for OS2/BB10 tools to be finished, wouldnt they say that? puts the pressure on RIM then, rather than `we have no plans` which makes it seem like their own decision irrespective of what tooling is available.

there would be no `conspiracy` shouts if they said they were waiting on RIM, but they havent, hence the doubt.
    02-26-12 05:34 PM
    bottom line. if netflix was waiting for OS2/BB10 tools to be finished, wouldnt they say that? puts the pressure on RIM then, rather than `we have no plans` which makes it seem like their own decision irrespective of what tooling is available.

there would be no `conspiracy` shouts if they said they were waiting on RIM, but they havent, hence the doubt.
    Netflix has no obligation to be more specific. Nor would it be in their best interest to be more specific.

If they were to state openly they're waiting for BB10 and tools to be complete before making a decision, the media would pound both Netflix and RIM/BB with headlines similar to "Netflix not confident about the current state of BB" etc..

Any statement gets spun. Take for example the uproar that sparked this thread. Netflix simply stated they have no plans to develop for PB/BB at this time. However, the simple three words at this time are notoriously left out. Any rational person who reads the whole quote in its entirety would easily recognize that they're simply waiting.
    avt123 and lotuslanderz like this.
    02-26-12 05:58 PM
    I just closed my netflix account. So who's writing the letter to the netfix CEO?
    02-26-12 11:19 PM
    Netflix does not OWE you an application because you bought a blackberry. Neither does Skype or any other developer who chooses not to waste their time and resources.

If you need apps, you need Apple or Android. Simple as.
    02-26-12 11:37 PM
    It seems we're all missing a pretty huge point. We're not losing out on air, food, clothing, shelter, medical coverage, sex.... Netflix supplies ENTERTAINMENT. Nothing more. When they made the wonderful decisions that lost them 2,000,000 customers in one month, I was one of them. I have since slept comfortably, eaten well, dressed decently, breathed, and all the other good things most American men enjoy, all while being without Netflix.

No, there's very likely no conspiracy by Netflix, Apple, Android or others like them. Netflix made a decision that several of the later posts have indicated actually made good business sense. By the time BB10 comes out, companies would have to support OS4.x, OS5, OS6, OS7, OS7.1, and BB10 -- all sufficiently different that they might as well be considered different OSes. And BB10 is going to be a major departure from previous OS versions. There are some situations where it just doesn't make sense to support even some of that till the dust clears. That's not to say that Netflix hasn't made poor business decisions before or won't again. But this one makes sense.

Conspiracy? The only conspiracy I've seen around here is from those who have such insecurity about their phone choices that they have to put down other peoples' choices. On Crackberry, that seems to be mostly iOS and Android visitors, but it's not limited to them. Guess I'll stick to the tech sections. Immaturity grows old quick.
    avt123 likes this.
    02-27-12 01:06 AM
    On that, there may be a huge difference. Tivo is primarily in 1st world countries where Netflix is strong or gaining a footprint. A lot of RIM's customer base is in countries that, for one reason or another, Netflix doesn't have a presence, may not want a presence.
    Like the UK...
    BBC News - Netflix launches UK film and TV streaming service
    02-27-12 02:59 AM
    devildrifterX found and posted a great graph in another thread that sheds a lot of light on the benefits (or not) for a bb netflix app.
    Originally Posted by devildrifterX

"Thats assuming that 200k people will sign up for Netflix solely because of the Playbook, and that would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 20-25% of the Playbook userbase to date if RIM has sold 800k-1million devices. For many people, especially the ones complaining right now they are already subscribers, Netflix would lose money just to support a small segment of their users. They would need to sign up new users to make money or at the very least cover their costs to support the platform.

Look at this graph, you can see the trend of how people actually use Netflix and on what devices Click to view quoted image

Only 3% of iPad users use Netflix...what do you think 3% of the Playbook would be?

The vast majority of Netflix use is done on devices tied to the home, or on devices with massive marketshare in the mobile space, or mobile entertainment devices (3DS/Vita).

When you have stats that look like this, would you think it would be wise to support the Playbook?"

Interesting breakdown. Surprising (for me) to see how many people actually watch Netflix on their computers, and the low percentages for iPhone/iPad and especially Apple TV. In any case, a PlayBook/BB10 app may not make much of a dent right now but writing/calling/tweeting Netflix may (further) get their attention -- if anything to point out there there are potential customers out there that they may be losing.

I got a Netflix subscription when it first came to Canada just to support its model (despite the lousy lineup) and to give it traction. Turns out, I hardly watch it. Well, looks like Netflix doesnt need me anymore, and wont miss me if I leave (judging by the low numbers of PlayBooks out there ). I know my $8/month isnt a lot but hey, if I can give traction to another cause ...
    02-27-12 03:30 AM
    For you the user, it may well be functional, and a simple matter to repackage. But from the developer/support side it's a different matter entirely. Ensuring suitable DRM methods are in place isn't always a simple matter of repackaging, QA checks to ensure it works as well as they would prefer, support tickets for a device for which the app was not specifically designed for, etc...
    NetFlix already has an API for managing the queue. The only thing they would need to do is open the API up for the streaming of the video. If the user is already authenticated for managing the queue, they should also be authenticated for viewing the video that they are streaming.

If they can stream videos on PC browsers, smart TVs, Android, iOS, Xbox, Wii and PS3, then they have everything already worked out, they just need someone to build a front end to their service.

The API issue is the reason their aren't other apps on the PlayBook, 3rd party developers don't have access to provide the app. However, I understand that companies want to keep a tight control on what represents them, but on the other side, business is all about getting customers.
    02-27-12 07:07 AM
    NetFlix already has an API for managing the queue. The only thing they would need to do is open the API up for the streaming of the video. If the user is already authenticated for managing the queue, they should also be authenticated for viewing the video that they are streaming.

If they can stream videos on PC browsers, smart TVs, Android, iOS, Xbox, Wii and PS3, then they have everything already worked out, they just need someone to build a front end to their service.

The API issue is the reason their aren't other apps on the PlayBook, 3rd party developers don't have access to provide the app. However, I understand that companies want to keep a tight control on what represents them, but on the other side, business is all about getting customers.
    The queue has an open API because there's zero need for DRM. The content itself is a different beast entirely.

If Netflix doesn't take every means possible to protect the content with a suitable method of DRM, all the content would be pulled from Netflix within days. No way would there ever be an open API for streaming their content.
    02-27-12 07:14 AM
    TIf Netflix doesn't take every means possible to protect the content with a suitable method of DRM, all the content would be pulled from Netflix within days. No way would there ever be an open API for streaming their content.
    I agree, but my main point was that they have made the stream available on a variety of platforms, from the PC to tablets to gaming consoles, it would be reasonable to state that they should be able to get it to work on a Flash (since they used to stream in Flash), HTML5 (because they will HAVE to go in that direction) or a C/C++ based (because they've already programmed something in that language).

Granted, Netflix has done a few things in the past year that didn't make a whole lot of sense.
    02-27-12 09:19 AM
    What I am really wondering is what percentage of PB owners are currently Netflix customers already. That further reduces the potential revenue from new subscribers as a result of a PB app. This might be a reason why Netflix won't even bother to develop such an app as it is not commercially viable.
    02-27-12 01:13 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD