I need to find a GPS solution that uses maps stored locally in a memory card. I travel in Russia and I want to be able to use the GPS software when there is not coverage, in addition to reduce roaming charges when there is.

I have TomTom 6 in my old Treo 650 and it works (still) pretty well. However, I would like to use my BB 8820 as the only device and stop carrying the Treo around. So far I have been able to use apps like Google Maps or Nav4all and they work well, but they have the problem of being an online-only solution.

Does anybody know of any BB on-board GPS solution, like TomTom 6 is for the Treo?

Thanks in advance
    11-25-08 12:29 AM
    TrekBuddy, although you will need to use Googleak to aquire maps and put them in a manner suitable for trekbuddy.
    11-25-08 06:15 AM
    Going where youare ging, I would buy a stand-alone GPS and use the phone as a backup. All the GPS products that I have seen (that are of decent quality) seem to use the data network for their maps. This is great in your own country but if you are travelling it costs a fortune.
    11-25-08 06:48 AM
    TrekBuddy doesn't use network connectivity at all, and for the most part is a nice app, pity it isn't a native BB app though.
    11-25-08 08:21 AM
    Thanks for your replies. I will have a look at TrekBuddy. But apart from this, I am afraid that you confirm my impression: all the "big" names are going the route of the online-only for their mobile versions, at least for BB.
    I am very happy with my 8820 and it works perfect in Moscow, but it seems that I will have to carry another device for GPS. No need for a dedicated device though, as my old Treo with TomTom 6 still works well. Maps are a bit outdated, but good enough in most cases.

What a pity I can not have everyting in my Blackberry...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-25-08 10:57 AM
    OUTDATED maps are probably the reason so many of the BIG NAMES as you call them have gone the data route. They do not have to deal with updating maps either free or selling them.

I think that at one time Garmin had the maps on an sd card but I'm pretty sure that was limited to the USA anyway. But their latest version is data.

I played with Trekbuddy locally and it worked. But compiling the maps was a bit awkward and you definitely had to plan in advance.
    11-25-08 09:25 PM
    I played with Trekbuddy locally and it worked. But compiling the maps was a bit awkward and you definitely had to plan in advance.
    Yea, unfortunate, but it still works when there is no network connections

I'm currently blundering my way through a geocaching app at present, and one thing I hope to tackle in future is using OpenStreetMap (OSM) data to display mapping info on the blackberry, java coding isn't really in my usual job description so I've absolutely no idea how far I'll get with that.
    Last edited by delta_foxtrot2; 11-25-08 at 09:47 PM.
    11-25-08 09:36 PM
    In my opinion data only GPS so short-sighted. I am never going to pay for such a service and as a result they will never get a penny from me, if they released a device based version I’d buy it straight away. I wonder how many people feel the same?

I am travelling in France soon and there is no way I would use a data based GPS for that. It would likely be cheaper to buy a standalone tom-tom unit.
    11-26-08 07:39 AM
    I also believe that using DATA slows down the mapping process. You send them data on your location, they have to send data on where that maps to, you miss a turn, it takes time for the back and forth data to give a position update. Obviously, a faster processor on the BB and a faster network could overcome some of that lag-time.

My TomTom almost immediately senses I'm off route and begins its recalc. Clearly, multiple devices it not exactly convenient but so far.....
    11-26-08 09:54 AM
    Another vote for TrekBuddy, works well!
    11-26-08 10:28 AM
    As I said, I downloaded TrekBuddy yesterday night, then I searched for a ready-made map of Moscow, downloaded it on the PC and tranferred to the memory card on the BB. I tested it this morning from home (if I can call home anything not Sunny Spain) to work, and it worked perfectly the first time! I'm impressed! TrekBuddy delivers what it promises. However, it is not what I was looking for, as I need turn-by-turn directions. However, I will keep it with some more maps as an emergency tool if I need to now where I am and the whereabouts.
    Hope sometime an off-line solution for BB will appear soon. I would by it instantly!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-26-08 04:59 PM
    You can do turn by turn directions with trekbuddy, no audio though, by using a browser bookmark to pull the google directions into a waypoint file and then using that file for a route in trekbuddy.

As a previous poster said, TrekBuddy requires you to plan ahead, although I have seen comments where people dump their Garmin/Tom Tom/etc because google routing is better
    Last edited by delta_foxtrot2; 11-26-08 at 08:50 PM.
    11-26-08 08:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD