Hey guys, just wondering what ya'll think is the best maps ap? I need one that has voice directions. I have been told that these four have them: vzw navigator, garmin gps, nav4all gps, and amaze gps. Can you guys tell me what ya'll think about these and which one is the best? Any of these free or a one time fee? thanks!!
    06-09-09 10:03 PM
    Garmin is $99 for the life of your phone, or $10/month. They specifically state on their website that the license is linked to the Pin, and not transferable to a new device, but I have read in the forums that people who bought a new phone were able to get Garmin to transfer the license. That's something to consider if you plan on keeping your phone less than 10 months. VZNav is $10/month. Nav4All and amAze are free. Garmin worked well for me. I liked the location based information, like directions to the nearest coffee shop. I have not used VZNav or Amaze. I found Nav4All's user interface odd and unintuitive. Since amAze and Nav4All are free, try them for yourself.
    Last edited by JeffH; 06-09-09 at 10:44 PM. Reason: typo
    06-09-09 10:31 PM
    I like the vz nav...hated telenav...never use that junk
    06-09-09 10:38 PM
    anyone else??
    06-10-09 01:00 PM
    I've played with AmAze and it's not bad other than it doesn't use SurePress (currently, Storm support is fairly new so that may change) which makes things "interesting" to navigate around. It seems passable, I'd definitely prefer it over a standalone GPS but I like my in-dash OEM GPS units better. And for $99 for the life of the phone the Garmin price is too high for me (I'd rather use VZ Nav).

It's hard to beat the price, but I'm curious how the ads will appear once they're ready. It would be interesting if they'd calculate a route to a Burger King along the way and then make you take a picture of a receipt with a Whopper on it to continue Done correctly it could also just give preference to certain POIs in a search or let you know about a coupon available locally.
    06-10-09 01:13 PM
    LIke Jeff said, you can try the two free ones. I also think VZW gives you the first 30 days of VZNav free. They were a few back anyway. That will give you another free option to try. Just make sure that if you don't like it, you cancel before the 30 days are up.

I for one use VZNav and love it. It has always got me to my destination within a few feet. It's pretty easy to use and I also like the built in traffic and weather features.

Try them all. Good luck in your decision.
    06-10-09 01:24 PM
    06-10-09 01:32 PM
    I have amaze on my phone. Just took me a few minutes to get used to options and the touch screen for it. After I saved my home address to favs not probs for me after that. I especially like that it is voice command and that is free at least till 2010(i think)
    06-10-09 09:10 PM
    yeah i tried amaze today and immediately deleted. its not very good for the storm
    06-11-09 07:40 AM
    Last i heard that amaze wasnt exactly a North American App.. idk just saying- I saw it in a thread before, I searched but couldn't find it. Apparantly, tho, I also read somewhere that Amaze is being worked on for N.A, and should be available shortly- still free. Dont quote me tho.
    06-11-09 08:50 AM
    Last i heard that amaze wasnt exactly a North American App..
    Nope, it works fine in the US (at least it does now). It also has a significant number of other maps.

Dont quote me tho.
    D'oh!

It'll be nice if they fix the Storm UI, but I think the plan is to be sustainably free with ads and offers. Of course, I use Google for finding POIs so all I really use it for is voice navigation and most of the time I'm in a car with an in-dash unit anyway. Maybe I'll have to compare to Nav4All, but I don't need it often enough to pay $10/month and I'd rather not risk changing out my phone in the next year for the $100 Garmin phone-life subscription.
    06-11-09 09:28 AM
    Tried VZNav but I decided $10/month was too much. I tried amAze and it took too long to find my location it didn't help when I needed it. I tried Nav4all but the GUI isn't pretty and doesn't work indoors . I'm sticking to Poynt and Google Maps.
    06-13-09 01:39 AM
    Hey guys, just wondering what ya'll think is the best maps ap? I need one that has voice directions. I have been told that these four have them: vzw navigator, garmin gps, nav4all gps, and amaze gps. Can you guys tell me what ya'll think about these and which one is the best? Any of these free or a one time fee? thanks!!
    I like VZ Navigator. Some might argue there are cheaper or free alternatives. But I have been using VZ Navigator for several months and it works great!

I don't like to nickel and dime things, especially when I have spent $150 for the phone and paying almost $100 a month for the calling plan + unlimited data. So additional $10 a month is really nothing at all. Heck, I spend more than $10 every day just for lunch!

But don't take my words (or anybody's else) for it. Different strokes for different folks. Things that work for me may not work for you. That's why some people are driving sedans and some people are driving pickup trucks. All the pay GPS apps have free trial. I strongly suggest you to try it yourself and make an educated decision yourself. And not just based on what we have said.
    06-13-09 01:51 AM
    I like VZ Navigator. Some might argue there are cheaper or free alternatives. But I have been using VZ Navigator for several months and it works great!

I don't like to nickel and dime things, especially when I have spent $150 for the phone and paying almost $100 a month for the calling plan + unlimited data. So additional $10 a month is really nothing at all. Heck, I spend more than $10 every day just for lunch!

But don't take my words (or anybody's else) for it. Different strokes for different folks. Things that work for me may not work for you. That's why some people are driving sedans and some people are driving pickup trucks. All the pay GPS apps have free trial. I strongly suggest you to try it yourself and make an educated decision yourself. And not just based on what we have said.
    Agree with you entirely, especially your points on cost rational

I have tried them all too, I found Garmin Mobile for BlackBerry Storm meets my needs, and pricing was right too. Not free, but found I could get it for $70 which is not bad for GPS that has traffic, weather and more besides the routing info.
    Handango has promotion for 25% off for purchase of $75 or more - enter code SUMMER25, drops price of the Garmin Mobile to $74.99. There's an additional 7% cashback available at several hot deals sites, drops price to just under $70.
    I've had Garmin's almost exclusively, so I've find it's UI to be easy to use. I dabbled with looking into other GPS's (Mio, TomTom and Magellan and didn't like their UI's so I went back and paid more for Garmin, always been happy.

Info on GPS's and user comments already in abundance on here, don't think we are going to scratch any new surface in this thread to what's already been said right here in the Storm Third Party Apps forum:
    What's the most solid, cheap gps
    good application: life in pocket
    FREE GPS APPS: amAze vs. LifeinPocket
    Garmin Mobile - BB Storm Released
    AmazeGPS - New Storm Version
    Garmin Mobile = Worth it?
    Issue with Garmin Mobile on BB Storm
    Stand alone GPS unit vs. VZ Navigator vs. Garmin
    Best GPS App Please?
    VZ Navigator vs. Garmin Mobile
    GPS Apps
    Is there anything better than the VZNavigator??
    VZ Navigator on BB Storm, Tips and Tricks
    AmazeGPS vs Nav4All
    best navigation for the storm??
    Where vs VZ Navigator
    Garmin vs VZ Nav 4
    Free Working GPS?
    Is there a reliable GPS navigation app thats out there for free?
    Looking for turn by turn directions
    GPS Software for Storm
    VZNavigator
    any one else hate Nav4All?
    Has Anyone tried Garmin for there Storm?
    GPS navigation program?
    My quick VZ Navigator review
    Storm GPS Software Options Review
    Garmin/TeleNav Price Questions - Decision Time
    Vz Navigator best app on storm currently
    Garmin Mobile
    GPS other than VZNAV?
    Garmin vs. TeleNav
    06-13-09 07:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD