07-26-08 04:35 PM
33 12
tools
    Just a little guide for adding, moving, or managing Media content on a Blackberry that has a memory card installed and using a PC and Windows Explorer.

There are two methods you can use to get media files onto your Blackberry's MicroSD memory card.

A - using Mass Media and Windows Explorer.
    B - using Media Manager within Desktop Manager.

This will explain method A.
    (I never use method B)

First - Go to Options> Media Card and set the following:
    * Media Card Support - On
    * Mass Storage Mode Support - On
    * Auto Enable Mass storage Mode When Connected - On or Prompt. (with prompt, select yes in the pop-up on the BB)

Then -
    * Ensure that Blackberry Desktop Manager is not open.
    * Connect the device to the PC using the USB cable.
    * When the pop-up window appears, select Open with Windows Explorer, then minimize.
    * Open a new Windows Explorer, go to the file you want to add, Right Click it, select copy -
    * Maximize the other Explorer window, select the correct folder, right click, select paste.

Alternate of this method-

After connecting to USB, got to the file you want to add, highlight it, select Copy this File, then navigate to the proper folder on the Blackberry, and select copy.

As for moving files, creating folders, or other tasks -
    After connecting, go to My Computer, then select Blackberry E:
    Note - you may see a different drive letter.
    You may also get an error - if so, try changing the drive letter to something else not in use on your PC.

Once that window is open, simply move, create, add whatever you like.
    (You can also use this method to open pictures in you image editing programs without the need to transfer the image to the PC.)
    Last edited by Chaz; 06-03-08 at 12:41 PM.
    06-03-08 12:33 PM
    lol

you also got tired of answering those questions

free bump

06-03-08 12:45 PM

you also got tired of answering those questions

Naahhhh.... just thought it would help having a step-by-step guide.
    06-03-08 12:47 PM
    as an aside (having just tried it), creating a subfolder using Windows Explorer does nothing in the BB.

Ex: Music with all the music vs Music with a subfolder of Techno will simply show all the music as if the subfolder was not there.

This is with OS 422170 on the Curve 8310.

06-03-08 12:51 PM
    Thanks for the info I am sure a lot of people will find it useful.
    06-03-08 12:55 PM
    as an aside (having just tried it), creating a subfolder using Windows Explorer does nothing in the BB.

Ex: Music with all the music vs Music with a subfolder of Techno will simply show all the music as if the subfolder was not there.

This is with OS 422170 on the Curve 8310.

I just tried it with images - no problem, worked great.
    Then tried it with music - If you go to All Music, it doesn't show subfolders, but if you go to Media, Hit Menu, Explore - all subfolders are listed, even those created through Windows Explorer.
    06-03-08 01:05 PM
    Great info.
    06-03-08 01:09 PM
    Then tried it with music - If you go to All Music, it doesn't show subfolders, but if you go to Media, Hit Menu, Explore - all subfolders are listed, even those created through Windows Explorer.
    Sweet

06-03-08 02:09 PM
    Very helpful! Thank you very much.
    06-05-08 02:26 PM
    I always use the Desktop Manager when I'm adding or deleting files on my BB but I didn't know about folders so thanks for the info.
    06-09-08 04:35 PM
    I'm trying to free up memory on my Pearl. I've taken pictures before I knew to set the device memory to zero, so the pics are taking up memory. I have a perfectly good 2G media card...but can't figure out how to move the pics from device memory to the media card.

Please suggest some other method (if there is one) than using the BB Desktop: that thing is so buggy on my Vista machine that I only use to sync stuff or remove apps. The media manager just flat doesn't work on it.

besiderself
    06-21-08 08:58 PM
    Bumping this because I still need an answer...

besiderself
    06-24-08 03:03 PM
    I'm trying to free up memory on my Pearl. I've taken pictures before I knew to set the device memory to zero, so the pics are taking up memory. I have a perfectly good 2G media card...but can't figure out how to move the pics from device memory to the media card.

Please suggest some other method (if there is one) than using the BB Desktop: that thing is so buggy on my Vista machine that I only use to sync stuff or remove apps. The media manager just flat doesn't work on it.

besiderself
    I don't know of another way then using the Desktop Manager. Follow what Chaz says (using method B), and then copy up to your selected folder (IE: BlackBerry Pics). Then go to the Device Memory and copy down the select pictures you want.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Miss.Horrible; 06-24-08 at 03:24 PM.
    06-24-08 03:22 PM
    I have os 4.5 and the thing I wasn't use to coming from an iphone was that it takes a very long time for media to be "scanned" with the default media application.

I bought an 8 gig microsdhc card used the itunes media sync thingy and all the music transferred but it took literally an hour for all the songs to be scanned.

Weird is this normal? Iphone it is instant.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-08 04:00 PM
    I don't know of another way then using the Desktop Manager. Follow what Chaz says (using method B), and then copy up to your selected folder (IE: BlackBerry Pics). Then go to the Device Memory and copy down the select pictures you want.

Hope that helps.
    Sorry, no, it didn't. As I said in my previous post, Desktop Manager will not work on my machine. Especially since I downloaded 4.5...it's useless to me. At least with the previous version I could sync my calendar and whatnot though the media manager crashed on opening. Now I can't even do the other things. The interface looks real nice, but it's just pretty. Doesn't do anything useful.

I need further help. Guess I'll end up at the Alltel store...like they'll know anything (NOT).

besiderself
    06-24-08 04:06 PM
    The only other way to get a pic from device memory to the SD card is to go to the pic, hit menu, move, navigate to the SD card and the folder you want it in, then hit menu, move here. It works, but it's a one-at-a-time deal.
    06-24-08 04:09 PM
    THANK YOU CHAZ!!!!

(if there were hug or kiss emoticons, you'd be gettin' some)

That was the answer I was looking for all the time. I just didn't know how to move it, though I knew there HAD to be a way.

Thanks again SOOO much.

besiderself
    06-24-08 04:28 PM
    ^^ I love responses like that ^^
    06-24-08 04:31 PM
    I've tried that...and it doesn't work for me...
    06-24-08 04:41 PM
    Ok I'm clueless, how do u navigate to the SD on the BB!!! Sorry I got my memory card 2da & its just chillin in my fone

06-24-08 05:42 PM
    Chazz

When you enable mass storage you get a message saying some files might not be accessible. Do you know what type of files or which folders this message is reffering too ?
    06-24-08 06:04 PM
    When you enable Mass Storage, any files on the Memory card cannot be accessed from the BB. So if you edit a photo on the PC, you won't be able to check it on the BB until after you disconnect.
    06-24-08 06:07 PM
    Ok I'm clueless, how do u navigate to the SD on the BB!!! Sorry I got my memory card 2da & its just chillin in my fone

Depends on how you want to use it. To automatically store photos to the card as you take them, go to Camera, hit menu, options, Store Pictures: select On Media Card.

To view what's on it, go to Media, and either go to the type of media you're looking for, or hit Menu, Explore, then select Media Card.
    06-24-08 06:11 PM
    Gotcha (didn't kno u could access menu on that main screen). Now
    1. To xfr my pix & ringtones, I hv 2 do it with either the device mgr or windows explorer?
    1a. Can I do drag & drop?
    2. Any ringtones I download moving 4wrd, is there a way 2 save them automaticlly on the memory card?

06-24-08 07:29 PM
    If you mean transfer from PC to memory card in BB -
    1) Correct.
    1a) Yes - if you open two instances of windows explorer, one with you BB media, one with your PC media, drag & drop between the two.

2) If I remember correctly, once the card is formatted in the BB, downloaded media should automatically go to the card. I could be wrong there, I don't D/L media on the BB very often.
    06-24-08 07:46 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD