I bought a Curve 8310 because I liked the keyboard over the iPhone and e-mail push, however I'm making the switch to Apple. The Internet speeds on the Blackberry are just horrible, and the only web pages I can get to load at decent speeds are CNN, ESPN, and my bank which are huge companies. I live in Tusla and always have max signal strength but it doesn't matter. I used an iPhone out in midwest Oklahoma with medium signal strength and still got better speeds and service.

The choice of applications on the Blackberry, in my opinion, are horrible compared to the iPhone. Yes, the iPhone has a ton of apps that I'll never use but at least I have the option. My bank "app" on my 8310 is more or less a hotlink to their mobile website while the iPhone app has ATM locations and more banking options. Radio stations that I like to listen to, including Sirius, are making apps for the iPhone..even my Blizzard authenticator for WoW. I feel like I'm back in the days when everyone made stuff for the PC and I had a Mac. I know this is like posting something about Honda in a Harley forum, but I think more people will drop their Blackberrys for iPhones when they see the applications and in my personal experience the speed difference. This isn't to start a flame war, I'm just so disappointed with my browsing speeds and lack of apps that I'm dumping it. Yes, I have the latest OS installed.
    06-22-09 08:05 AM
    The Top 3 selling devices are 83xx, I-phone, then Storm. I don't think more BlackBerry owners will drop their phones for the iPhone. Anyway, you did what's best for you, and that's what matters the most. I've never had that sort of problem in NY, so I don't know where you're coming from. CDMA limitations aside, I'm satisfied.
    Last edited by Sinternet Jr.; 06-22-09 at 08:16 AM.
    06-22-09 08:13 AM
    First off, you are on a Blackberry forum and moving to an iphone, so many will either not care or wave by to you since you say the iphone is better.

If you BB is having issues, then it is hardware and maybe try to get a replacement before going iphone. OR it could be the towers you are near. Have you tried an iphone in the same location as your BB? This would be a great way to test the tower. I would try another BB and an iphone in the same location to test. Plus on the "more people will drop their Blackberrys for iphones", please! The iphone is good, but 3, count it 3, versions to get MMS (BBs had that for a LONG time) and on speed? The Bold and storm are blazing fast and the Tour s coming out, again super fast. Plus GPS still not out of the box? Nickel and Diming people. The first iphone had no 3G? Pathetic. We could go on, but lets not. Applications? I would rather Apple not tell me what I can and can't have, thank you very much and yes I am a Mac Fan! So if you are going iphone, I wish you the best.
    06-22-09 08:14 AM
    And many times, slow internet is caused by poor configuration. So many folks shoot themselves in the foot over this, but, bon soir.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-22-09 08:18 AM
    One other thing to try would be to pick up the 8900.... I am on Tmobile and the 8900 flies!!!

I have Bank of America and that App works great for me as well.
    06-22-09 08:18 AM
    Sorry to hear you are having such bad luck.

I've been a Verizon customer for a l-o-n-g time and have never had any service issues, currently having 4 Curve 8330's on my plan right now.

It comes down to a personal choice. Having never owned an iphone I have nothing to campare with. I personally prefer Linux over Micro$oft, but that's another discussion for another place.
    06-22-09 08:22 AM
    yeah it is hard to get the 2G 8310 curve to be as fast as a 3G Bold or iPhone.
    06-22-09 08:40 AM

The choice of applications on the Blackberry, in my opinion, are horrible compared to the iPhone. Yes, the iPhone has a ton of apps that I'll never use but at least I have the option. My bank "app" on my 8310 is more or less a hotlink to their mobile website while the iPhone app has ATM locations and more banking options. Radio stations that I like to listen to, including Sirius, are making apps for the iPhone..even my Blizzard authenticator for WoW. I feel like I'm back in the days when everyone made stuff for the PC and I had a Mac.
    I always thought it was crappy that companies do stuff like this. It isn't like there aren't plenty of Blackberries out there to make software for, they just cater to Apple. It was like this with the accessories for the iPod as well. Everyone uses these 3rd party software/hardwares as a selling point for the Apple devices and then as the excuse as to why they only make accesories for the Apple devices. Do you know how hard it is to find cases for, lets say a Creative Zen, or any other relatively popular mp3 player besides the iPod? You usually have to go straight to the manufacturer. But there are plenty of these devices out there that would warrant the 3rd party manufacturers making accesories for them.

They kind of back you into a corner til you say, "well, if I want a supported player, I'd better go with an iPod."

Apple makes great devices but they expect me to use iTunes and only that player. They have wised up with the DRM-free files but sorry Apple, I don't want to use your crappy software on my PC and I don't want to switch to AT&T. It's for these reasons that I may never own an iPhone although I like the device. Hopefully RIM will make the Storm live up to it's potential before the iPhone arrives on VZW cause I'd rather wait that out than switch carriers.

If the iPhone comes before RIM puts out an update on the Storm that makes it the phone that I thought I was buying, then I'll definitely consider switching. Though I still don't like iTunes(I was given an iPod so I used to use it)
    06-22-09 08:53 AM
    I bought a Curve 8310 because I liked the keyboard over the iPhone and e-mail push, however I'm making the switch to Apple. The Internet speeds on the Blackberry are just horrible, and the only web pages I can get to load at decent speeds are CNN, ESPN, and my bank which are huge companies. I live in Tusla and always have max signal strength but it doesn't matter. I used an iPhone out in midwest Oklahoma with medium signal strength and still got better speeds and service.

The choice of applications on the Blackberry, in my opinion, are horrible compared to the iPhone. Yes, the iPhone has a ton of apps that I'll never use but at least I have the option. My bank "app" on my 8310 is more or less a hotlink to their mobile website while the iPhone app has ATM locations and more banking options. Radio stations that I like to listen to, including Sirius, are making apps for the iPhone..even my Blizzard authenticator for WoW. I feel like I'm back in the days when everyone made stuff for the PC and I had a Mac. I know this is like posting something about Honda in a Harley forum, but I think more people will drop their Blackberrys for iPhones when they see the applications and in my personal experience the speed difference. This isn't to start a flame war, I'm just so disappointed with my browsing speeds and lack of apps that I'm dumping it. Yes, I have the latest OS installed.
    Your BB is on a slower network bud. Also, you probably need to change your settings on your BB for the Internet to move faster.
    06-22-09 08:53 AM
    DOH! I didn't see he had a 2G BB! Yeah, that is the reason man. On 3G, BB's fly!
    06-22-09 09:35 AM
    DOH! I didn't see he had a 2G BB! Yeah, that is the reason man. On 3G, BB's fly!

What network configuration do I need to look at to possibly get better Internet speeds? I know 2G (they say 2.5 compared to 3.0) is slower, but didn't know it would make this much of a difference for simple web pages.

I have AT&Ts data plan
    Last edited by OkieBerry; 06-22-09 at 10:00 AM.
    06-22-09 09:58 AM
    Maybe you should grab yourself a bold.
    I love my BB even tho my macbook hates it, but that isn't making me drop big red for att and go iphone. no thanks!
    06-22-09 10:04 AM
    I'd also add...if your main focus is the Internet I agree the iPhone holds a much better browser. But, for me I won't be using a phone has a main Internet browser. Most of the pages I bring up are for text only.
    06-22-09 10:23 AM
    I'm also a tester for Skyfire browser, which will be available this summer. It's the best browser I've had the pleasure using. Unfortunately, I can't talk too much about it.
    06-22-09 10:26 AM
    Yes, the iPhone has a ton of apps that I'll never use...

...it's like saying "This movie has tons of minutes I'll never watch, but, blah, blah, blah.
    06-22-09 10:34 AM
    Okieberry do this: Get a bold and try it out, ATT has a return policy doesn't it? Then if it doesn't pan out, go to the iphone. But like said above, skyfire is coming and then the webkit internet browser on the iphone will be a moot point in saying "but the iphone can do this". See which you like.

Sinternet Jr., I know you can't say much if anything, but does skyfire run good on the curve?
    06-22-09 10:59 AM
    Ok, see ya..............
    06-22-09 04:53 PM
    Bergerking, how do I know if all my settings are configured properly?

06-22-09 05:25 PM
    BB is not for the web speed imo, its all about qwerty and push emails.
    As said many times before, the iPhone is for entertainment, where's the BB often excels in other aspects.
    The BB is still part wise a business phone.
    06-22-09 06:08 PM
    Well, if the iPhone is your choice, that is cool. However, these kind of threads baffle me. I am never sure what the various OPs, of such threads, want to accompolish.

06-22-09 06:15 PM
    Well, if the iPhone is your choice, that is cool. However, these kind of threads baffle me. I am never sure what the various OPs, of such threads, want to accompolish.

My point was (is) that why does the "best selling" PDA Phone seem to have the worst application support (except calculators, currency exchange, and 3rd party finance apps) It does make me feel like I'm forced into a corner in some aspects. No Quicken, no Sirius, and to me the web browser is poor..though upcoming browsers may change that....maybe the Bold and Storm will make developers look twice. It seems any apps for both platforms that they put 50% effort into the RIM side, and 150% into Apple concerning looks of the app and functionality. If I pay this much for a phone it I'd expect the look of the apps not to look like something that an 80s Amiga could do better.

...maybe I'm ticked by the AT&T salesman who touted this as being 2.5Mbs while 3G (3.0Mbs) isn't that noticeable of a difference unless I'm downloading. It was my first phone of this type so I'm guilty of not doing alot more reading.

Concerning how the phone is set up for Internet, I shouldn't have to buy a phone then immediately go into advanced settings and start messing with stuff. What kind of consumer phone is that? It's like the PC vs Mac wars on that ...
    06-23-09 07:38 AM
    My point was (is) that why does the "best selling" PDA Phone seem to have the worst application support (except calculators, currency exchange, and 3rd party finance apps)
    Because people buy phones to accomplish tasks, not to play games?

If you want games, buy a PSP. Or wait a few months for the PSP GO - it's wireless and over-priced, just like the iPhone!
    06-23-09 09:03 AM
    Listen, OkieBerry is right about the Curve, and really about any current Blackberry. The browser is terrible, and Apple has many, many more (and better) applications for the iPhone. I know we're all addicted to our Berry's but stop getting so defensive.

Here's what I tell people that want to switch to the iPhone: If the web surfing and app store are very important to you, then do it. It's RIM's fault for lagging (no pun intended) behind on their browser. If the Berry doesn't give you want you want, then get rid of it. Plain and simple.

I made the switch to an iPhone once. I went from the Curve to the 3G in October. I loved the web browser and the app store was great. I returned it 2 weeks later and went back to my Curve 8310. I found that yeah, I could surf the web whenever I wanted, but where was I gonna go? The only websites I ever regularly visit are imdb.com and rottentomatoes.com, and they're not very important. That and the Bold handles them fairly well (although definitely slower than the iPhone). It turned out that I really didn't NEED the great browser.

Also, I didn't like the way the iPhone OS works. Multi-tasking is pretty much impossible. There's no way to switch applications without closing what you're doing, and 3rd party applications cannot run in the background. Therefore, what I currently have constantly running in the background on my Bold (wall street journal app, ubertwitter, facebook, pandora when I'm in my car, berryweather) would be impossible to duplicate on the iPhone.

It's really the little things that I ended up missing the most. I was just unhappy with the iPhone, for indescribable reasons. Using it just made me unhappy. When I went back to my Curve, which was a technological step down, I felt so much more comfortable, and I was happy again.

So, in short, it comes down to personal preference. I see nothing wrong with a switch to the iPhone if it does a better job giving you want you want. And to all the Blackberry addicts that are instantly insulted at the concept of the utter "betrayal" of going to Apple: chill out.
    06-23-09 10:03 AM
    I have a BB and an iPod Touch. Truthfully, I rarely use my Touch nowadays. It's in my desk collecting dust.

06-23-09 10:28 AM
    The main problem I have with ALL Apple products is that they are priced at levels that to me, are a slap in the face to the consumer. Technical differences aside, this is enough to steer me away from any of their products. Plus, it's the nickel and dime effect they promote. They get everyone onboard with $.99 songs and then once the product has adopted widespread use, they up the price. Always seems to be Apple that's higher than everyone else and makes the initial move to drive the market price higher. Much of the profit unfortunately seems to go to enormous advertising expenses as the company has continually and agressively promoted it's products as a status symbol. No thanks but best of luck with your new device.
    06-23-09 10:59 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD