Hi everyone,

I have a BB Torch 9810. I was updating the OS to the newest software. I DID NOT do a manual backup. The OS updated, but froze at "connecting to device". My phone restarted and loaded up fine, but this screen froze for about an hour before I pulled the cable. I tried battery pull and reconnect, nothing. I tried closing Desktop Manager and reopening, nothing (aside: now DM won't even recognize that my phone is connected).

The OS has loaded, the applications are all there, but ALL OF MY CONTENT is gone! No contacts, email, notes, etc, etc.

Here is what I have done:
    1. General search for IPD files on my computer - none found.
    2. Before closing DM, I checked LoaderCache, Documents/Blackberry/Backup folders - nothing there
    3. After closing DM did above again - nothing found.
    4. Checked Common Files/RiM/Shared files, and all I found where the application files. No content.

I searched online where Loader saves its backup files, and LoaderCache and Backup folders were suggested. I checked everywhere I could. I cannot find anything.

Is there any hope of recovering my data? I am not turning the computer off in case there is still something saved in the cache from the update. Anyone else know where the Desktop Manager saves the automatic backup when doing an OS update?

Please, any help is greatly appreciated. I've lost everything, and this is extremely important to me for work.

Thank you!
    10-29-11 01:05 PM
    You using BlackBerry Protect? If not, I would start.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    10-29-11 01:12 PM
    How often were you making backups? Are you sure you don't have one kicking around on your computer? Did you check hidden folders? I know it's of no help to you now, but hopefully someone will pay attention: making regular backups is crucial. I back up several times a week.
    10-29-11 01:39 PM
    SOLVED!

Conclusion: Windows 7 Search sucks! For some reason the loader backup was saved on Desktop and not in the folder that it should have been saved in. In addition, doing literally 10-15 searches for the file did not find the file saved on desktop. LoaderBackup file was saved on desktop, and used that to restore.
    10-29-11 01:40 PM
    Yes, I used to make backups on my old phones all the time. At the same time, I've updated my phones countless times and never had issues with freezing during an update. Since I got the new Torch, never made any backups, and that was the issue. Thankfully, Loader made a backup for me and was kind enough not to remove it after the update process failed. Lesson learned: always do a manual backup!
    10-29-11 01:42 PM
    Definitely. And at least a backup per week is a good idea.
    10-29-11 01:53 PM
    Even if you are making backups using Desktop Manager, I'd still load up BlackBerry Protect and get that going as well (if you carrier supports it). It does not back up everything but it saves the truly vital stuff, is very easy on your battery, and automates all this. Plus it keeps multiple incremental backups, not just one.
    10-29-11 11:35 PM
    Conclusion: Get a Macintosh and make sure BB Protect is working.
    10-30-11 12:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD