I posted this in the curve section of the forum, but I'm not really getting the help that I need. Please someone have some kinda of solution. OTA link for BBM on 4.3 OS is what I am looking for.

Here is a little background... Well I'm running the old school 4.3 OS and I want to update it, but I have a macbook and I don't want to load anything windows based on my computer. I have a super old/slow pc in the computer room, but it is nearly impossible to do anything on it.

The reason I am making this post is because I tried to download the new 5.0 BBM and now the whole icon is gone. I've gone under my applications and it says Blackberry Messenger is there, but it is no where to be found.

If anyone has the OTA link for 4.3 bbm I would greatly appreciate it if you would give me the link. I am seriously lost without my BBM and I don't see how I can hold out for 2 months.
    07-19-09 12:35 PM
    BBM for OS 4.3 thru 4.5 is loaded as part of the OS by the app loader. I've never seen an OTA link and will be surprised if one exists.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-19-09 12:38 PM
    Dang this sucks....Looks like I am going to have to raise **** at a verizon store for them to update my OS.
    07-19-09 12:41 PM
    they should not give you a hard time and just update it for you just go to the techs and ask for an OS update they should do it easily
    07-19-09 12:43 PM
    I hope that it all goes smoothly or they may just loose a customer that pays out the ***! I think if I am a devoted customer and pay so much they SHOULD update my OS for me.
    At this point if they do it and I lose anything on my phone, I really don't even care at this point. I miss my BBM far more than I will miss any app that I have dled on my phone.
    07-19-09 12:46 PM
    Do you have a back up of the OS you're currently using, if you did you should be able to get BBM back that way. Then again I guess if you did you probably wouldn't have had to post asking for it.

Maybe your best option IS the Verizon store?
    07-19-09 12:48 PM
    Haha if I had back up on my MACBOOK that would be amazing. **** RIM!(sorry for my pissed off parts of the post) Yea I think verizon store it is for me!
    07-19-09 12:51 PM
    I hope that it all goes smoothly or they may just loose a customer that pays out the ***! I think if I am a devoted customer and pay so much they SHOULD update my OS for me.
    At this point if they do it and I lose anything on my phone, I really don't even care at this point. I miss my BBM far more than I will miss any app that I have dled on my phone.
    unless everyone in your local vzw store is a real **** they should do it for free i have done it before although i would back up all your info.

i am in the same boat as you as im a mac user so its a pain to do the os upgrades. but just write down the apps you have and where to get them so you can find them quickly. thats what i did with my vzw phones. good luck with the process should be easy for them to do.
    07-19-09 12:51 PM
    Haha if I had back up on my MACBOOK that would be amazing. **** RIM!(sorry for my pissed off parts of the post) Yea I think verizon store it is for me!
    I saw the Mac Book after I posted... You didn't seem PO'd at all but I can certainly understand the frustration.

Well this will be a good test of Verizon's appreciation that's for sure and they may be just happy to help you...hopefully!
    07-19-09 12:54 PM
    I though I had found a solution yesterday, but the only OTA BlackBerry Messenger is ancient and does not install on current OS devices.

I would guess the techs at BlackBerry abandonded the idea of doing OTA Messenger installs, for just this reason. If it works, fine. If it fails, what to do to recover?

Use your Macintosh to download the correct software, save it to a thumb drive. Stop in to the local coffee shop/internet cafe and buy a coffee and an hour on a Windows PC.
    07-19-09 01:57 PM
    Verizon is going to do it for me!!!!!
    The first store were nothing but complete a-holes! The second store were MORE than happy to help!

I am so happy!!!!!!
    Last edited by thinkamp; 07-19-09 at 02:57 PM.
    07-19-09 02:29 PM
    Well that was a pointless trip to VZW.
    I got my update to 4.5 OS, but we didn't wipe my hand held before we did the update. So it was pretty pointless...I guess I am going to either a have to download windows to my mac or b buy a little net book and do it!
    07-19-09 06:31 PM
    It's not necessary to wipe your device before upgrading. Did Verizon not install bbm for you?

07-19-09 06:49 PM
    It's not necessary to wipe your device before upgrading. Did Verizon not install bbm for you?

I was telling her that what the problem might have been is that when she
    went to the store and they started updating her device, they most likely
    kept BBM unchecked in the app loader before the installation begun.
    07-19-09 07:21 PM
    That's what it sounds like. Wiping would not have made any difference.

07-19-09 07:24 PM
    Well they def didn't check anything.
    I did the update myself and had no clue that I needed to check anything.
    07-19-09 07:45 PM
    How does that work in a store? Do they have a PC setup? What OS version did they have? Can you go back and rerun DM and ensure that you check the box for BBMessenger?
    07-19-09 08:17 PM
    Well they have a PC in there that they let me use since I am a mac user.
    They gave me the lated OS that verizon has and I think it is 4.5.77(sucks)
    I'm pretty sure I can go back tomorrow and it will still be on there.
    They had to delete a storms DM so I could run mine.
    07-19-09 09:23 PM
    If they have OS 4.5 still installed on the machine, it will only take you 5 minutes to install BBMessenger. If you haven't got it, install BBMaps while you're there too. It also doesn't have an OTA and has to be installed with the OS.
    07-19-09 09:33 PM
    I dont care about BBMaps...I never use it since I have google maps.

So what you are saying is when I go there tomorrow and IF the OS 4.5 is still installed I just need to select BBM and it will load on there in like 5 minutes.

I'm not sure where I need to look on the DM for BBM to select it.
    07-19-09 09:37 PM
    If they still have your OS installed, all you have to do is run Desktop Manager. Click Application Loader, then Add / Remove Applications. When the list comes up, select BBMessenger and anything else you want to install. Uncheck the box for anything you want to remove that you don't use. Click next until it's done. Be sure not to disconnect your BB until it is finished.
    07-19-09 09:47 PM
    wow my vzw store just takes it in the back and their tech does the update in like 10 mins.

don't you know anyone that owns a windows based pc?
    07-20-09 12:42 AM
    When you go into the verizon store make them do it for you, or stand there with you & show you how to do it.

That's their job.

I've gone in to my vzw store just to have them clean my trackball for me. They don't charge for any of those services & if they act like they can't do it ask for a manager. If you really raise he77 you might even be able to get that early upgrade to the Tour.
    Good luck

07-20-09 01:33 AM
    wow my vzw store just takes it in the back and their tech does the update in like 10 mins.

don't you know anyone that owns a windows based pc?
    i do but it is just a pain in the *** for them and me.
    its fine i am going to buy a little laptop so i can do it myself!

When you go into the verizon store make them do it for you, or stand there with you & show you how to do it.

That's their job.

I've gone in to my vzw store just to have them clean my trackball for me. They don't charge for any of those services & if they act like they can't do it ask for a manager. If you really raise he77 you might even be able to get that early upgrade to the Tour.
    Good luck

yea well i went to two different verizons and the first one was a no go and completely rude!
    the second one said sure you can do it on that PC over there...pfffft i wasn't about to ask questions i just did it!
    i'll be calling vzw today anyways because since my upgrade it has made my phone slow and that damn hourglass keeps coming up.
    *keeping my fingers crossed for any earlier upgrade*
    07-20-09 07:54 AM
    Like I told you, your upgrade is only next month. Tell them your phone is slow now and you'd like your upgrade to be pushed up. Don't yell, don't have an attitude. A regular CS rep won't be able to do much. Ask to speak to the retention team to see if they can do something for you, otherwise you're going to AT&T for an iPhone and will gladly pay the ETF.

07-20-09 07:58 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD