Hi guys so basically my bb 8900 phone stopped working last night (only the red led light comes on when i put the battery back in then it goes off again) so ive been trailing the internet and these forums for a solutions and i have found loads of methods that ive been trying but the main issue im facing is that my laptop wont recognise my device when i plug it in (ive also tried this on my friends laptop with no succes) theres no prompt or sound from the laptop that ive even inserted the phone in the usb drive? any ideas anyone? feedback would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advanced
    04-28-12 03:23 PM
    04-28-12 03:27 PM
    Yes, follow the instructions in the link that MADBRADNYC posted.

There is a small window that you have to plug the phone in and get it recognized. It might take several tries to get it. The how-to explains just when and how to do it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9350 using Tapatalk
    04-28-12 03:31 PM
    Thanks guys ill try this method to the letter and let you no how i get on...
    04-28-12 03:46 PM
    right ive tried it noumerous times and i cant seem to get the USB BBPIN UNKNOWN to show?
    04-28-12 04:33 PM
    Is the battery definitely charged?
    04-29-12 11:38 AM
    yh the battery is definatley charged but in the guide it advises to plugin without a battery then plug the battery in when it starts the process but it doesnt get that fat...(i have also tried it with the battery in all the way through with no luck)
    04-29-12 02:17 PM
    Yes. You have to do it starting with the battery removed.
    With the battery pulled, connect the BlackBerry to the USB connector and as SOON as you see USB-PIN:UNKNOWN hit Next.
    So, you're saying that you never see the "USB-PIN:UNKNOWN" prompt at all... Even after re-inserting the battery?
    04-29-12 02:34 PM
    if you ask me its time to upgrade that dinosaur from 2008, to a new OS 7 device

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    shemaree09 likes this.
    04-29-12 10:22 PM
    Yes. You have to do it starting with the battery removed.

So, you're saying that you never see the "USB-PIN:UNKNOWN" prompt at all... Even after re-inserting the battery?
    yh i dont see it atall i have no idea whats going on

@windblackberry lol yes i realise that but i still love my 8900 been extremelly good to me over the years!
    04-30-12 04:06 AM
    Did you try a different battery?
    04-30-12 04:41 AM
    yh i dont see it atall i have no idea whats going on
    Try it again, but remember to re-insert the battery immediately after plugging the USB cable in the device.

The device needs to have the battery inserted in order to power the device. Regardless whether you have it plugged into the PC via USB. For some reason, from what you describe, I feel this may be the issue. You may be waiting too long before you put the battery in.

Try that.
    04-30-12 05:35 AM
    yh the battery is definatley charged but in the guide it advises to plugin without a battery then plug the battery in when it starts the process but it doesnt get that fat...(i have also tried it with the battery in all the way through with no luck)
    I had the same thing. It will work but you MUST follow ALL the directions to a T. First uninstall all your BB programs on your Lappy. Reboot to be certain they are all gone. Download and install the latest OS Device manager from your carrier. Follow the steps to the loader and start it up. I think you click "next" here and the com screen shows up. Remove the battery from your BB. NOW PLUG IN YOUR BB AND WATCH FOR THE RED LIGHT TO FLASH. WHEN IT STARTS FLASHING CHECK YOUR LAPPY SCREEN AND WATCH FOR THE MESSAGE. AS SOON AS YOU SEE IT CLICK NEXT. Now it should be OK. Once it starts loading put the battery back in. Follow the rest of the directions and be on your way.
    I tried this a few times without success until I re read the directions and uninstalled the BB programs and started from scratch. Worked perfect 1st try after that.
    Check my thread "9800 died after upgrade" and there is an answer there with a link. It may or may not be the same directions you have but it worked for me.
    04-30-12 09:18 AM
    Did you try a different battery?
    i did try my friends 9380 battery but still had the same problem
    04-30-12 10:29 AM
    I had the same thing. It will work but you MUST follow ALL the directions to a T. First uninstall all your BB programs on your Lappy. Reboot to be certain they are all gone. Download and install the latest OS Device manager from your carrier. Follow the steps to the loader and start it up. I think you click "next" here and the com screen shows up. Remove the battery from your BB. NOW PLUG IN YOUR BB AND WATCH FOR THE RED LIGHT TO FLASH. WHEN IT STARTS FLASHING CHECK YOUR LAPPY SCREEN AND WATCH FOR THE MESSAGE. AS SOON AS YOU SEE IT CLICK NEXT. Now it should be OK. Once it starts loading put the battery back in. Follow the rest of the directions and be on your way.
    I tried this a few times without success until I re read the directions and uninstalled the BB programs and started from scratch. Worked perfect 1st try after that.
    Check my thread "9800 died after upgrade" and there is an answer there with a link. It may or may not be the same directions you have but it worked for me.
    thanks for your response dude! I did already unistall all the bb programs from my computer (desktop software e.t.c) then installed the device manager the only thing i did differently is i downloaded desktop manager 4.5 and the earliest device manager from my carrier (4.6.1) i did all this before posting on the forum for help so do you suggest i unistall everything once again and try again? and have i downloaded the right software (should it be the early versions of desktop manager and the device manager or do i need more present versions?)
    04-30-12 10:34 AM
    i tried it with the latest desktop manager (6.1) and my device os (5.0) and now when i go to apploader i dont even see the COM3 in the box that i used to see when using desktop manager 4.5 and os 4.6? im really begging to get frustrated with this now i really do need my phone back! :'(
    05-01-12 04:50 AM
    any more help/ideas out there?
    05-07-12 10:08 AM
    Have you tried any other methods for loading the os other than desktop manager.

You might try BbSak or loader.exe

If you can get bbsak to recognize the device I would use it to wipe it clean before trying to load the os again.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9350 using Tapatalk
    05-07-12 10:37 AM
    its time for an upgrade.

my 8900 was doing the exact same thing before I gave up on it. I had it from 2009-2011.

it was very unstable and I would get the white screen of death or no life at all, at THE most inconvenient times

i tried installing different version of OS 5 and still had the same problems.

its time to let it go. Upgrade to OS 7, it will be a HUGE upgrade and you wont regret it.

You will never wanna use that 8900 EVER again. Trust me
    05-07-12 10:45 AM
    Don't know what version your carrier provides, but this is from Rogers. It includes the latest device OS they provide. It will not work on your service, but it shows all the info.
    9800M_PBr6.0.0_rel2921_PL6.6.0.241_A6.0.0.666_Roge rs_Wireless_Inc.exe
    You don't need a desktop manager or other OS. Just install your download on your Lappy, start up the loader and go from there.
    05-08-12 09:49 AM
    Don't know what version your carrier provides, but this is from Rogers. It includes the latest device OS they provide. It will not work on your service, but it shows all the info.
    9800M_PBr6.0.0_rel2921_PL6.6.0.241_A6.0.0.666_Roge rs_Wireless_Inc.exe
    You don't need a desktop manager or other OS. Just install your download on your Lappy, start up the loader and go from there.
    If this were true, the OP would already have his OS loaded.
    The issue is that Loader.exe is not recognizing his device when he attaches to his PC via USB.
    Until that is rectified, he will not be able to load any OS.

Also you cannot load an OS for a 9800 onto an 8900. Just can't be done.
    05-08-12 10:37 AM
    This is exactly how his problem can be solved, but you have to start entirely fresh. Do a security wipe on the phone. Uninstall all BB programming from the computer. Reboot. Install the new BB device software and follow the directions. Remove the battery. Plug in the USB. The com 3 message does not appear. When the red light on the phone flashes the unknown message will appear briefly. CLICK NEXT WHILE THIS MESSAGE IS DISPLAYED. The software will now recognize the phone.
    05-10-12 12:12 PM
    Sounds like the device is toast, could be a board as failed and you really DO have to replace it. Perhaps it's time to upgrade anyways, a used 93XX, shouldn't be too expensive and should last until the BB10 devices are out.
    05-10-12 12:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD