If this stat holds true for all carriers during Q1, I expect at least 700-900k z10 devices to be sold in Canada throughout the period. A crude estimate based on 3.5m iPhones being sold in Canada in the last year.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-13 05:53 PM
    Well, 1 million would be nice but I think a bit aggressive. The wild card are corporate sales. A couple of reports out of the UK peg corporate purchases as exceeding 200K. If similar in Canada on a relative level, well then maybe BB could get close to the million mark. The only thing we know for certain is that 300K is ridiculously low.
    I would find it odd if there were big corporate numbers. enterprises take forever to test and deploy things ...
    02-26-13 05:54 PM
    Great News!
    02-26-13 07:56 PM
    I would find it odd if there were big corporate numbers. enterprises take forever to test and deploy things ...
    Yes but BlackBerry did get aggressive with early testing on a lot of their larger clients. I know that most of the big four in Canada were supporting BlackBerry in the first couple weeks of launch.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-13 09:30 PM
  5. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    I think the numbers sold will be very impressive and way above Street expectations!... bb z10 in demand!!
    02-26-13 11:22 PM
    I tried for weeks to get one. eBay US, Canada, UK. Too expensive, too tough to find. Joey_beechey did find one for me from Canada, but it wasn't even easy for him. UK retailers RAISED their price of the phone weeks AFTER launch to prices higher than iPhone. I'm not sure you do that with a phone that is NOT hot.
    02-27-13 12:33 AM
    It'll take a while before it is noticeable. The top selling smartphones in Canada probably sell about 500,000 units every 3 months or so. I think there are over 12 million smartphones in Canada, so even if the Z10 is the best selling smartphone for 3 months, it will still only represent 4% of Canadian smartphones by May. So if you do that check on the TTC in May and see 1-2 Z10s, that'll probably be pretty good.

One key test I use (obviously quite unscientific) is how things look on the TTC (Toronto subway system).

I headed downtown last night to the TOBBDev presentation by Garett B of BlackBerry, on Cascades C++/QML communication techniques (non devs can wake up now) and what I saw on the subway were several dozen non-descript, non-identifiable smartphones of various sizes and shapes, probably mostly Android, plus a few iPhones, plus one 9900. I think maybe one of the non-descript phones was an older BB6 model.

Mine was the only Z10 so far.

I don't think that means it's not selling, by any means... I'm just noting that it's a long way yet from even being noticeable out there.

As an optimist, however, I just think of that as meaning there's a whole lot of sales to come yet. ;-)
    peter9477 likes this.
    02-27-13 02:02 AM
    ya they sell them to kids maybe... adults do more than just play games on their phone.
    02-27-13 02:18 AM
    But this from BGR they have always been anti BB so take this with a grain of salt.

*this was in reply to the guy who posted the BGR article*
    Last edited by swervable; 02-27-13 at 10:35 AM.
    02-27-13 10:23 AM
    Yes but BlackBerry did get aggressive with early testing on a lot of their larger clients. I know that most of the big four in Canada were supporting BlackBerry in the first couple weeks of launch.

Posted via CB10
    For sure. Just don't think that pre-test time will translate into wide deployments. Corporations move too slowly.
    02-27-13 10:25 AM
    I am certainly encouraged by properly researched reports and wonder why the lazy reporters and researchers don't get fired after a while.

The only fly in the ointment particularly on the enterprise side is the recent announcement by Samsung that they are getting into the secure enterprise phone business following their recent acquisition of a small company in Toronto that works in that field and is composed mainly of ex-RIM researchers and developers.

TH has already stated that BB is looking to expand its offering and moving into the "Internet of things". If they move on that project sooner rather than later, then they will move back into the game where they are the only player and should be back on to the road to prosperity. If BB spends too much time and effort in the smartphone space only, they risk being outmanoeuvered by a deep-pocketed Samsung.
    02-27-13 05:37 PM
    U realize this thread was last updated in February right?

Posted via CB10
    06-25-13 03:19 PM
    Not sure who you're talking to since you're the only one to comment since 2-27-13...

06-25-13 05:38 PM
    I think that someone posted and then deleted their post once the recent one came up.

My Tech-Fleet: Q10; Z10; PlayBook; Surface Pro; Xbox 360; HP TouchPad; iPod Touch 5
    06-27-13 05:59 AM
89 ... 234