03-25-14 06:46 AM
94 1234
tools
    What he said.

Repeating a fake story here doesn't make it true, no matter how much some people need to believe it.
    richardat likes this.
    02-07-14 12:01 PM
    Reciprocal, where can i have device encryption explained to me?
    i think its something i need or want but i dont understand the pro and cons to it.
    thank you
    03-04-14 11:04 AM
    This made me turn on device encryption. I hate the idea that just logging into a network could mean the theft of my information.

Posted via CB10
    What exactly does device encryption do?

Posted via CB10
    olakailan likes this.
    03-04-14 11:24 AM
    unless you're on BES, your BlackBerry is just as "hackable" as any other device out there. This false sense of security people have with BlackBerry is really upsetting. These forums need some real information instead of garbage like this getting constantly touted around.
    03-04-14 11:35 AM
    Blackberry has no more security than any other phone, except probably it's quite rare in my place and exploits are often built for certain platforms. And even more, BlackBerry is very vulnerable without updating it e.g. now there's outdated flash player in your phone that has many security issues reported by adobe itself. Adobe insisted on upgrade but BlackBerry ppl do not care.

Posted.
    richardat likes this.
    03-04-14 11:56 AM
    From my readings you still have download something to your device or use an unsecured network. Its still requires some type of user interaction for most attacks to occur. Obviously it can happen easily if you are careless but I would never connect to a hotspot in a country outside of US or Canada probably. Especially not it countries like Russia. Everyone on any device should be careful and never open attachments from people you are not in frequent contact with or connect to free hotspots with no security that you are unsure about. That is security 101 for anyone on any device
    You are welcome to log on to a hotspot here in Australia, no worries mate!

iPhone for me? Scr... ahem Q that! (posted from the latter)
    03-04-14 03:22 PM
    unless you're on BES, your BlackBerry is just as "hackable" as any other device out there. This false sense of security people have with BlackBerry is really upsetting. These forums need some real information instead of garbage like this getting constantly touted around.
    Can you please show me how to root my PlayBook?

Posted via CB10
    badiyee likes this.
    03-04-14 04:47 PM
    Blackberry has no more security than any other phone, except probably it's quite rare in my place and exploits are often built for certain platforms. And even more, BlackBerry is very vulnerable without updating it e.g. now there's outdated flash player in your phone that has many security issues reported by adobe itself. Adobe insisted on upgrade but BlackBerry ppl do not care.

Posted.
    That's simply not true. Security is integral to an OS and they are not equal. Design and Quality assurance matter a lot. I'm especially surprised to read this comment as well as from katiepea so soon after this epic "goto fail" fail. This thinking is what erodes privacy and security over time.
    http://m.cnet.com/news/kaspersky-mac...osoft/57421513
    That is less than 2 years ago. Goto failgate tells us they do not care.

Blackberry may not deem the flash player bug as critical due to other mitigation or limited scope of attack. Ie, disable flash manually. Dunno, but not on same level by a mile.

Posted via CB10
    TheScionicMan likes this.
    03-04-14 11:58 PM
    At the end of the day, apple has been hacked numerous times and rather quickly too. Add in the exploit they dulled out a few weeks back and you have a unstable platform that looks cute but is a open door to prying eyes, no denying it!

When I see media stories about blackberry security being compromised and not about their going under death story they always report about, which they only write about because there are no security blackberry hacks, then I will believe it. Until then, these forums are more full of people ( like two in here) that want to dispute a platform that has more holes in it than swiss cheese is as secure as blackberry. (facepalm).

Hate solves nothing, Respect gains everything!
    03-05-14 12:30 AM
    Can you please show me how to root my PlayBook?

Posted via CB10
    http://m.crackberry.com/rooting-your...dingleberry-3x
    p_r_a_g_m_a likes this.
    03-05-14 12:47 PM
    This is not accurate. The data you send and receive is just as vulnerable, but the OS itself is not. BlackBerry goes through many many accreditations to ensure this. So while people are NOT as protected as they think they are, there is still security within the OS itself.
    goku_vegeta likes this.
    03-05-14 12:54 PM
    03-05-14 07:22 PM
    03-05-14 07:26 PM
    You're late to the game. That title is click bait.

"Der Spiegel said that to acquire BES data involves a sustained effort on the part of the NSA’s Office of Tailored Access Operations, a specialized hacking team based in Forte Meade, Maryland."

NSA never claimed that they broke BES encryption. What is suspected, is that they managed to target the end points, exploiting issues there, before/after encryption.

If BES encryption was "broken", a 'sustained effort' would not be needed.
    03-05-14 08:16 PM
    Sure, he just needs to downgrade to a version from 2+ years ago and then never upgrade it again *eyeroll*. I think he is pointing out that iOS jailbreaks and Android rooting happens ALL THE TIME, even when vendor patches the hole.
    03-05-14 08:19 PM
    This is not accurate. The data you send and receive is just as vulnerable, but the OS itself is not. BlackBerry goes through many many accreditations to ensure this. So while people are NOT as protected as they think they are, there is still security within the OS itself.
    Yes. That poster can't wait to soil threads by repeating the lie that other mobile phones are as secure as BlackBerry handsets.
    03-05-14 08:28 PM
    Another article claims there's no need to crack anything, there's already special backdoor:

"Today, many of those people are coming to the conclusion that the flaws in the algorithm were not the product of sloppy work, but deliberately inserted to make it easy for at least one spy agency ? the National Security Agency ? to break the encryption.

Because the algorithm in question made it onto the CMVP, it was used by dozens of technology companies looking to make their products government-approved.

Such companies include BlackBerry Ltd. ? which not only uses the algorithm, but also owns the patent on the concepts that form its foundations."
    http://m.theglobeandmail.com/technol...service=mobile

Posted.
    03-05-14 08:39 PM
    Your statement is simply incorrect. You presume that the only difference between BlackBerry and an iPhone is BES10. What rubbish.

Does it not even dawn on you why governments won't let iPhone on their secure servers. Have you not read a newspapers inthe last three weeks? I mean really, the world finds out yet again about a massive hole in iOS and how hackers have been exploiting the obvious weakness. Please educate yourself as to the foundation of secure communications . You are being naive to the extreme.

Posted via CB10
    axeman1000 likes this.
    03-05-14 08:42 PM
    Another article claims there's no need to crack anything, there's already special backdoor:

"Today, many of those people are coming to the conclusion that the flaws in the algorithm were not the product of sloppy work, but deliberately inserted to make it easy for at least one spy agency ? the National Security Agency ? to break the encryption.

Because the algorithm in question made it onto the CMVP, it was used by dozens of technology companies looking to make their products government-approved.

Such companies include BlackBerry Ltd. ? which not only uses the algorithm, but also owns the patent on the concepts that form its foundations."
    The strange connection between the NSA and an Ontario tech firm - The Globe and Mail

Posted.
    Dude, you don't know what you are talking about (or I don't know what you're talking about). You need to be aware that websites post crazy titles that often do not back it up. Go read Bruce Schneier's blog or another crypto analyst, who have already given their thoughts on these things when they were published (in other words, this has already been discussed on CB).
    03-05-14 08:48 PM
    Plus this old article claiming security service of some countries to demand security keys from blackberry to let it be present at the countries market. http://www.ibtimes.com/blackberry-fi...-russia-461528
    Btw don't you think security services are that dumb to allow any possibility for really secret communications?

Posted.
    03-05-14 08:52 PM
    Your statement is simply incorrect. You presume that the only difference between BlackBerry and an iPhone is BES10. What rubbish.

Does it not even dawn on you why governments won't let iPhone on their secure servers. Have you not read a newspapers inthe last three weeks? I mean really, the world finds out yet again about a massive hole in iOS and how hackers have been exploiting the obvious weakness. Please educate yourself as to the foundation of secure communications . You are being naive to the extreme.

Posted via CB10
    To add to another posters note, you possibly missed BlackBerry making a statement debunking this as well. Please follow along with the times.
    03-05-14 08:54 PM
    Plus this old article claiming security service of some countries to demand security keys from blackberry to let it be present at the countries market. BlackBerry firm seeks security balance in Russia
    Btw don't you think security services are that dumb to allow any possibility for really secret communications?

Posted.
    BIS so they can monitor BBM in real time, not BES. BlackBerry, as I'm sure you must be aware, doesn't hold the keys to the BES encryption.
    03-05-14 08:59 PM
    BIS so they can monitor BBM in real time, not BES. BlackBerry, as I'm sure you must be aware, doesn't hold the keys to the BES encryption.
    Correct! Somebody already said "unless you're on BES, your BlackBerry is just as "hackable" as any other device out there."

Posted.
    03-05-14 09:09 PM
    Correct! Somebody already said "unless you're on BES, your BlackBerry is just as "hackable" as any other device out there."

Posted.
    So if they have the key, and have clear access in real time, how is this to be considered "hacking"?
    03-05-14 09:19 PM
    So if they have the key, and have clear access in real time, how is this to be considered "hacking"?
    Phone hacking, the practice of intercepting telephone calls or voicemail messages without the consent of the phone's owner.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacking
    If you have any more questions, please ask. I'll google for you.

Posted.
    03-05-14 09:25 PM
94 1234