Hacked Within Minutes: Sochi Visitors Face Internet Minefield - Video on NBCNews.com

Interesting report from the Sochi russia olympics. Can they hack into BB's this easily?
    GeoATL likes this.
    02-05-14 11:06 AM
    They would have by now if it was easy, don't you think?

See any root kits for BB10?
    02-05-14 12:12 PM
    Perfect marketing opportunity for Blackberry. Give all the athletes Blackberrys!!! Tell them they can even take nude selfies and it will be fine.
    digitalman101 and akdtor like this.
    02-05-14 12:18 PM
    This made me turn on device encryption. I hate the idea that just logging into a network could mean the theft of my information.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-14 12:31 PM
    If only anyone had taken one... lol jk.

Posted via CB10
    EchuOkan1 likes this.
    02-05-14 12:32 PM
    This made me turn on device encryption. I hate the idea that just logging into a network could mean the theft of my information.

Posted via CB10
    How do you turn on device encryption?

Posted via CB10
    02-05-14 01:04 PM
    Sounds like a really poorly written scare piece. With zero mention of how these computers are "hacked".

I'd love to see them try to "hack" into my macbook.

The most likely scenario I can see is folks connecting to malicious access points, where all data you transfer is collected and stored.

No device is safe from that, but nobody is forcing you to connect to those access points either.
    02-05-14 01:31 PM
    Sounds like a really poorly written scare piece. With zero mention of how these computers are "hacked".

I'd love to see them try to "hack" into my macbook.

The most likely scenario I can see is folks connecting to malicious access points, where all data you transfer is collected and stored.

No device is safe from that, but nobody is forcing you to connect to those access points either.
    "World's record" in hacking OS X is about 33 seconds if I remember correctly (on MBP running 10.8.x with file vault and gatekepeer). So hacking OS X is maybe easier than hacking Win.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-14 01:37 PM
    Perfect marketing opportunity for Blackberry. Give all the athletes Blackberrys!!! Tell them they can even take nude selfies and it will be fine.
    Big time marketing

Posted via CB10
    02-05-14 02:10 PM
    How do you turn on device encryption?

Posted via CB10
    Go into security and privacy settings look for encryption and toggle on device encryption and there is a toggle for your media card if you have one, please remember that you need to turn off the encryption for certain functions to work such as if you wipe your device, you need to unencrypt the media card BEFORE security wipe.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-14 02:15 PM
    Go into security and privacy settings look for encryption and toggle on device encryption and there is a toggle for your media card if you have one, please remember that you need to turn off the encryption for certain functions to work such as if you wipe your device, you need to unencrypt the media card BEFORE security wipe.

Posted via CB10
    How exactly does it work? Can i use the data on my phone in the same way as if it was not encrypted? What does it do

Posted via CB10
    02-05-14 02:55 PM
    "World's record" in hacking OS X is about 33 seconds if I remember correctly (on MBP running 10.8.x with file vault and gatekepeer). So hacking OS X is maybe easier than hacking Win.

Posted via CB10
    Previous versions of OSX have been hacked in under 5 seconds at various competitions, but the amount of time to execute the hack isn't what's being debated here. This article is basically claiming remote hacks with no user intervention. That would mean that these Russian hackers have been sitting on undiscovered exploits for seemingly all major phone, tablet and computer operating systems, just waiting to unleash them on random unsuspecting people attending the olympics. Remote exploits the likes of which haven't been found since the Windows XP days.

Seems like a tall tale to me. These supposed "hacks" are more likely social engineering tricks, or at worst, compromised access points that would serve "click bait" to unsuspecting people.

Still dangerous? Yes. Unavoidable like the article implies? Certainly note.
    Last edited by mikeo007; 02-05-14 at 03:11 PM.
    Poirots Progeny and decoy7 like this.
    02-05-14 02:56 PM
    How exactly does it work? Can i use the data on my phone in the same way as if it was not encrypted? What does it do

Posted via CB10
    It encrypts your information so that prying eyes can't read what's on the device. You should put a password also on your device either picture or Alphanumeric or numeric to lock the device when not in use, yes you will be able to use your device normally. All. Information is protected in the event you lose your device or someone tries hacking into it.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-14 03:03 PM
    From my readings you still have download something to your device or use an unsecured network. Its still requires some type of user interaction for most attacks to occur. Obviously it can happen easily if you are careless but I would never connect to a hotspot in a country outside of US or Canada probably. Especially not it countries like Russia. Everyone on any device should be careful and never open attachments from people you are not in frequent contact with or connect to free hotspots with no security that you are unsure about. That is security 101 for anyone on any device
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    02-05-14 03:12 PM
    It encrypts your information so that prying eyes can't read what's on the device. You should put a password also on your device either picture or Alphanumeric or numeric to lock the device when not in use, yes you will be able to use your device normally. All. Information is protected in the event you lose your device or someone tries hacking into it.

Posted via CB10
    What happens when connecting the device to a pc? Can i access everything without a hassel?

Posted via CB10
    02-05-14 03:14 PM
    What happens when connecting the device to a pc? Can i access everything without a hassel?

Posted via CB10

Yes no issues with it ,as I said only if you need to do a security wipe of the device you need to unencrypt the media card before , or you would not be able to access information contained on your card.there are a couple other functions that also require you to unencrypt but you will be prompted to do so.

Posted via CB10
    kb61 and cuek80 like this.
    02-05-14 03:28 PM
    Thx a lot

Posted via CB10
    02-05-14 03:47 PM
    Thx a lot

Posted via CB10
    You are welcome

Posted via CB10
    SalMan50 likes this.
    02-05-14 04:13 PM
    Maybe people have home file sharing turned on as well or some sort or /pub folder access. Android is a minefield just like Windows. But if you know what you're doing, you're going to be relatively safe. The problem is the other 95%.
    02-05-14 08:42 PM
    From my readings you still have download something to your device or use an unsecured network. Its still requires some type of user interaction for most attacks to occur. Obviously it can happen easily if you are careless but I would never connect to a hotspot in a country outside of US or Canada probably. Especially not it countries like Russia. Everyone on any device should be careful and never open attachments from people you are not in frequent contact with or connect to free hotspots with no security that you are unsure about. That is security 101 for anyone on any device
    After reading the story another time, that does seem to be the real issue here. Connecting to whatever hotspot is open and just assuming it's safe, then getting up in arms when suddenly all their information is being stolen. That's not even a government or country issue. That's a user error. Seems I got all flustered over nothing.

Posted via CB10
    00stryder likes this.
    02-06-14 07:25 AM
    These attacks happen all the time even in the us. Login onto so call free wifi you are always at risk. The best way to by past this is use a VPN. Even on your phone.

Posted via CB10
    marknmel likes this.
    02-06-14 07:39 AM
    for what its worth, these quick hacks are usually written way in advance, they usually just open up a premade website or something on the target machine at these competitions and wait until their payload is done, they dont exactly start writing the hacks at the compietiton
    Last edited by dvarnai; 02-06-14 at 08:02 AM.
    richardat likes this.
    02-06-14 07:51 AM
    02-06-14 07:55 AM
    And as stated earlier, it turns out the entire story is bunk.

How a fake 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics hacking story is causing real damage to NBC News' reputation | iMore

Absolutely 0% of the story was about turning on a computer and connecting to a Sochi network. 100% of the story was about visiting websites remotely. Thus, the claim of the story that you'll get hacked immediately upon turning on your computers is fraudulent. The only thing that can be confirmed by the story is "don't let Richard Engel borrow your phone".
    litig8or98, richardat and jegs2 like this.
    02-07-14 09:18 AM
    Don't connect to the Internet and shut your device off. In that way, no one can hack you.

Posted via CB10
    jegs2 likes this.
    02-07-14 09:20 AM
94 123 ...