Luca Filigheddu, Manager, Global Developer Ecosystem at BlackBerry, is another high profile employee who is leaving the company.

Luca has managed the developer ecosystem and developer communities globally for BlackBerry, which also encompassed the BlackBerry Developer Group program and BlackBerry Developer Elites.

Luca joined BlackBerry in July 2012 as a BlackBerry Developer Evangelist before being quickly promoted to the Head of Developer Evangelism EMEA in August 2013.

In March of 2014, he became Manager, Global Developer Ecosystem, where he worked with developers to align their activities and mobile development efforts to the focus and goals of the company worldwide.

At the time of writing, there is no word on where he is moving to and no decision has been taken as to who will replace him.

We have reached out to BlackBerry and will update this article with any reply we receive.

Luca has been a great source of support for many BlackBerry developers and I wish him well wherever he moves onto.
    Luca Filigheddu quitting BlackBerry

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Passport | Been around the world, don't speak the language but workin' wide need no explainin'
    07-09-15 08:07 AM
    "BlackBerry developers" is an oxymoron, no?

Posted from BlackBerry Classic, Verizon, no camera, 10.3.2.2205
    07-09-15 08:41 AM
    Donny Halliwell (the Inside BlackBerry Blogger) left last week as well. I really liked both of these guys.
    07-09-15 10:20 PM
    If they are high profile, why have I not heard of them?

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.2339
    07-09-15 11:13 PM
    Nobody is indispensable. The show must go on.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport [ 10.3.2.2339]
    07-12-15 05:20 PM
    No great loss.

Via my Z30 on the Telus network
    07-12-15 05:38 PM
    Get Steve Ballmer... ;-)

�   "WatsApp with the Chendroid?" - "Goog question, lol..."   �
    07-13-15 08:16 PM
    get steve ballmer... ;-)

�   "watsapp with the chendroid?" - "goog question, lol..."   �
    no way!

Z10
    07-13-15 08:22 PM
    no way!

Z10
    Developers, developers, developers... :-)

(maybe he might attract a few with his antics, or scare the heck out of them... )

07-14-15 06:21 AM
    no way!

Z10
    Why is my quoted text suddenly all lowercase? 8-o
    What have you done..? :-)

07-14-15 06:23 AM
    If they indeed are developing an Android based device, the app and developer issue would be put to rest once and for all.
    07-14-15 07:00 AM
    If they indeed are developing an Android based device, the app and developer issue would be put to rest once and for all.
    For the consumer and app-centric needs of enterprise, yes.

And I see potential cross-pollination benefits and runtime enhancements for BB10 through this exposure to Android.... :-)

07-14-15 04:59 PM
    There has been a fundamental shift in developer relations at BlackBerry in the past few months. Notably, the developer roadmap is empty, but overall app releases are way down and developers are ceasing their work on BB10 apps.

Now, was this the chosen and preferred direction of BlackBerry?

Most developer relations people's job description begins and ends with fostering and growing a healthy developer ecosystem - which hasn't happened during Luca's time at BlackBerry.

Either Luca was doing this by direction, his resources were too severely limited to do any better, or Luca wasn't the right person for the job.

I can't say one way or another - the coming months will be a good indicator. Will BlackBerry continue along this course, or will they make a change in how they relate to developers? That will likely tell the real story about why Luca left.

If indeed BlackBerry chose this direction, it's not a decision taken lightly, and I can't imagine it happening without a much more attractive alternative in place. We'll have to wait and see what Chen has up his sleeve...

Posted via CB10
    07-17-15 07:39 AM