We've heard a lot about how RIM will be launching two BlackBerrys in early 2013 - presumably the Milan and the London. After that, they'll follow with some kind of Curve upgrade and other BlackBerry 10 form factors. It's logical to assume that both of these devices (and potentially even the Curve) will be LTE enabled - in fact, if they're not, I likely won't be buying one of them.

My question is really about the other radio on board. I don't think you can get away with just an LTE connection these days, as there is not enough deployment. It's hard to imagine the first phone not launching with LTE + GSM, and be an AT&T exclusive, with T-Mobile soon to follow. Does this leave Verizon Wireless and Sprint in the dark for a few weeks? A few months? I've seen positive BlackBerry 10 comments from AT&T, but nothing specifically from VZW or Sprint.

Bonus question: Any rumors on a CDMA device that is also packing a global radio?
    08-31-12 09:19 AM
    It appears that LTE will supersede CDMA, which becomes depracated and obsolete. The international fallback from LTE seems to be (3G+GSM). It remains to be seen whether any manufacturer will find it practical or commercially reasonable to add a third system so users on CDMA networks (a tiny minority in world markets) can also fall back to legacy CDMA.
    08-31-12 09:48 AM
    Agree, but it appears that the Galaxy S3 does this with VZW's current network. I mean, how else would they sell it? It's impossible to imagine VZW not enabling this capability outside of their (limited) 4G build out.

It'll be interesting to see if Apple can make it work, as their new device is almost assuredly LTE. It's unclear to me if the 3rd-Gen iPad has a CDMA fall back for VZW.
    08-31-12 10:22 AM
    08-31-12 01:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD