Verizon is almost completed with the creation of the LTE network which is said to eventually surpass the coverage of their current 3G network. I have also read that AT&T is also developing their LTE network. My question is; Does this negate the difference between current CDMA devices and GSM devices? Does this mean that future LTE phones will be interchangeable between Verizon and AT&T?
    06-15-10 04:55 PM
    LTE support is independent of a device using GSM, UMTS, and CDMA2000. Nothing is negated...devices still need to be multimode to support both AT&T and VZW 2/3G.

Verizon's LTE network will be deployed on a different frequency band from where other carriers may deploy LTE. Although LTE as a technology will be the same as other carriers, a device must be designed to support the other LTE carrier frequency deployments. That doesn't mean a device won't support multiple LTE carriers, but it is not a given either that initial devices will support VZW+other LTE networks.

I think VZW said the LTE network could exceed 3G after 2013...it will be awhile.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-15-10 09:37 PM
    LTE will be deployed first nationwide in the 700MHz band by both Verizon and AT&T. Since LTE is a 3GPP spec (from the family of GSM, UMTS) phones/devices will use a SIM card. So based on that, yes, if you have an unlocked Verizon LTE device, you should be able to use it on AT&T's LTE.

Beware of backward compatibility tho. Verizon my have dual-mode CDMA/LTE devices, while AT&T GSM/LTE. I'm not sure if theres a chipset that will support all technologies (GSM/UMTS/CDMA/LTE)?
    06-16-10 01:05 AM
    Possibly cross compatible phones with Verizon and AT&T? That is a beautiful thing.
    06-17-10 12:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD