let me try to explain. but first, when were you on verizon?

How is it having their head in the sand to mention the flaws in the current versions of LTE which are that HSPA+ can match or beat its speed and can do so without clobbering your battery life?

Also, Verizon stopped pushing blackberries long before they had even a sniff of their LTE network launching, it makes far more sense for them to push their droid rebranding of android over anything else because it reduces the importance of the hardware makers since they will be able to play one off against another to get better pricing from them since the droid-branded devices will get advertised more often.
    09-11-11 12:02 PM
    CDMA/EVDO/1XEV isn't LTE. Sprint hasn't even made the transition to wimax as far as I know, both are on CDMA.

Maybe they've increased speeds, but it sure isn't EVDO Rev. B. or EVDO Rev. C or anything else. Cannot talk and surf at the same time unless something equivalent to GSM's 3G is implemented, that doesn't count the benefits of WI-FI either.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    You can talk and surf on verizon's lte network. Also the thunderbolt can do it over both lte and 3g network!
    09-11-11 09:07 PM
    You can talk and surf on verizon's lte network. Also the thunderbolt can do it over both lte and 3g network!
    This is correct! Can talk and surf on 3G using the Thunderbolt. Pretty cool, and I've needed to a few times.
    09-11-11 09:09 PM
    How is it having their head in the sand to mention the flaws in the current versions of LTE which are that HSPA+ can match or beat its speed and can do so without clobbering your battery life?

Also, Verizon stopped pushing blackberries long before they had even a sniff of their LTE network launching, it makes far more sense for them to push their droid rebranding of android over anything else because it reduces the importance of the hardware makers since they will be able to play one off against another to get better pricing from them since the droid-branded devices will get advertised more often.
    Idk about hspa+ matching lte. You have any results to show this? Everywhere I saw + comparing my lte thunderbolt against friends who were on tmos hspa+ werent even close in real world and speed tests.
    09-11-11 09:09 PM
    I can assure you all that over here HSPA+ completely blows away all LTE tests.

Of course, Lethbridge getting LTE is still two-three years away.
    09-11-11 10:28 PM
    how does bell's customer base compare to big red's?

09-11-11 10:54 PM
    Only Rogers has LTE in Ottawa (where I am), this services so few people. Bell and Telus have nothing so far besides 42mbps HSPA+. I don't think LTE is a big enough deal in Canada for many people here to care...but I can see the argument for the States. Maybe RIM can release special LTE Berries to the US carriers, if they want to sacrifice battery life.

Honestly, HSPA+ at even 42mbps is fine by me(average is more like 7-14mbps). That's pretty fast. There comes a point where battery life becomes more important. Even my 3G Storm 1 could stream youtube videos, open websites fairly quickly (browser is just garbage though), stream songs and download attachments pretty quick.

I enjoy my awesome battery life.

Also, maybe someone can answer this. Are the current OS7 berries limited to the peak of 21mbps or the higher peak of 42mbps?
    09-12-11 12:09 AM
    let me try to explain. but first, when were you on verizon?
    Go ahead and try to explain then and not simply try to dodge valid points by questioning the person asking them rather than responding to them?
    09-12-11 04:12 AM
    AnandTech just posted a short review of the new Droid Bionic LTE...fast but horrible battery life and it looks as if the new LTE chipset runs extremely hot. Not something I would want in a BlackBerry.

AnandTech - Motorola Droid Bionic - A Quick Preview
    09-12-11 07:47 AM
    because unless you have been on verizon for the last 2 years, you would not be able to understand how it has changed. if you are not on verizon, that would mean you are speaking out of ignorance and i don't argue with brick walls.

the change at verizon has been dramatic over the past 2 years, so i am guessing it is the latter.

Go ahead and try to explain then and not simply try to dodge valid points by questioning the person asking them rather than responding to them?
    09-12-11 10:52 AM
    because unless you have been on verizon for the last 2 years, you would not be able to understand how it has changed. if you are not on verizon, that would mean you are speaking out of ignorance and i don't argue with brick walls.
    What does the change in verizon have to do with the actual points that hspa+ performs at a similar level and does so without clobbering the battery life or the point that verizon had moved away from blackberry long before lte was on the horizon?

None of those points have the slightest thing to do with any changes at verizon in the slightest.
    chiefbroski likes this.
    09-12-11 12:15 PM
    None of those points have the slightest thing to do with any changes at verizon in the slightest.
    ...in the slightest! Say word, son.
    09-12-11 01:07 PM
    What does the change in verizon have to do with the actual points that hspa+ performs at a similar level and does so without clobbering the battery life or the point that verizon had moved away from blackberry long before lte was on the horizon?

let me help you grab a clue. what you should be asking is what does hspa have to do with verizon? nothing, so your point is nothing.

and unless you have been on verizon the past few years, how would you know how the climate has changed there for blackberry's? you wouldn't.

perhaps next time you might want to argue about things you have experience in.

before LTE almost every vzn retail sales person personally carried a blackberry. they were always excited about the next upcoming bb release.

but now, they are all about promoting the LTE network. bb's don't work on that network and bb's don't have hotspots that they can sell for commission. walk in to any vzn store and check for wifi networks. you will find 8 to 10 because all the reps now carry 4G droids with mobile hotspots.

most reps will actually try to talk you out of buying a BB and sell you are a droid. that didn't happen before LTE came out.

rim has lost support from the US's largest carrier. if you think that hasn't hurt them, then YES, your head is in the sand.
    Azeron likes this.
    09-12-11 01:37 PM

Seriously? My friend's Thunderbolt average 15 down and spikes to 20. My LTE laptop datacard average 25 and spikes to 30.

That's why AT&T and T-Mobile are moving to LTE because HSPA+ is so much faster...
    09-12-11 11:29 PM
    most reps will actually try to talk you out of buying a BB and sell you are a droid. that didn't happen before LTE came out.
    It predates LTE by quite some way, it has been that way since pretty much the time they started to heavily push their own droid rebranding of android, LTE may have increased that situation slightly, but it was and is the push towards droid that is the main factor.

rim has lost support from the US's largest carrier. if you think that hasn't hurt them, then YES, your head is in the sand.
    Who is claiming that it hasn't hurt them, my point is that it is not due to a lack of LTE on Rim's part because it has been happening a lot longer than that and I would go as far to say that anyone who thinks that an LTE blackberry would make a huge difference is the one with their head in the sand.
    09-13-11 05:32 AM
    That's why AT&T and T-Mobile are moving to LTE because HSPA+ is so much faster...
    The reason all carriers are moving towards LTE is that LTE and more particularly LTE-Advanced has a much higher speed potential than HSPA+ in the long run even if the differences are not huge in the meantime.
    09-13-11 05:38 AM
    I would go as far to say that anyone who thinks that an LTE blackberry would make a huge difference is the one with their head in the sand.
    we'll see next year. there is no doubt vzn has love for the driods. but 95% of their TV ads promote the 4G network. If you think that only makes a "slight" difference in the phones they push, well you can believe what you want. rim picked a bad time to go so long without anything new, device wise.

but there was a blog on crackberry a few days baxck that mentioned new devices coming out next year and a joint venture with vzn and rim.

that would certainly be a step in the right direction.
    09-13-11 09:22 AM
    [QUOTE=DannyAves;6666981]While LTE has a higher theoretical rate it doesn't work that way in the real world, is still unreliable and the battery life is awful. Have a look at this MSNBC real world test, T-Mobile HSPA+ actually leaves LTE in the dust. And remember, T-Mobile is now rolling out their 42Mbps HSPA+ network which will be even faster. I would rather have that with long battery life than LTE.

That's great...if T-Mobile works for you. Enjoy!
    11-26-11 07:59 PM
    I really hope RIM does drop an LTE Blackberry next year. Currently, I am using a 9630 (Tour) on Verizon. I was just about to pull the trigger on a 9930, but I cannot stomach the idea of being stuck with that for two years. Ultimately, I may go with the Bionic if RIM does not hurry up.
    11-26-11 08:13 PM
    I really hope RIM does drop an LTE Blackberry next year. Currently, I am using a 9630 (Tour) on Verizon. I was just about to pull the trigger on a 9930, but I cannot stomach the idea of being stuck with that for two years. Ultimately, I may go with the Bionic if RIM does not hurry up.
    I'm in the same boat. Have a 9650 but it doesn't make sense to sign a 2 year contract on a non-LTE phone.
    DragosD likes this.
    12-01-11 10:06 PM
    I like my 9360. i might actually hold it for my full contrqact length and keep it when I switch carriers (unless Wind or Moblicity improve in that time)
    12-01-11 10:26 PM
    I'm in the same boat. Have a 9650 but it doesn't make sense to sign a 2 year contract on a non-LTE phone.
    Sure it does....

If you're in an area that typically gets upgraded last, and you also want to wait until the bugs get out of the new phones, then in two years (actually 20 months, right?), in some areas, the timing is perfect. I just upgraded with this thinking...seems the phones do not usually come out when we think they will, with so many delays, I saw no point in waiting.

BUT, if you're the latest and greatest type of person, and in an area that will support that phone, I completely see our point!
    12-02-11 02:17 PM
    Ok a couple of points... If you're with Verizon and you're happy with Verizon, and you need fast data speeds then you're right it doesn't make sense to sign a 2 yr contract on a non-LTE device. Same would go for Sprint...

However, if you're on at&t's or TMOs network then it likely won't matter as much to you because both of those non LTE networks are far and away faster and you will not see a huge benefit to LTE for two years anyway.

PG
    howarmat and Blacklatino like this.
    12-03-11 10:47 AM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD