Lowes made a decision on the best technology for its own needs. Also, don't forget that with that the size of this transaction, I'm sure they got a good deal on a per unit cost.

What would be more interesting is to look into why they went with iPhone and what corporate infrastructure/applications this choice benefits. In other words, RIM needs to find out what Lowes found attractive in a solution that is probably less secure and more costly.

I'm sure Lowes has a good reason for making this decision, but RIM needs to understand what those reasons are.
    Of course you can't rule out the Lowes CEO obtaining an iPhone or iPad and then "drinking the koolaid".......
    Simple reason they went to an iPhone. APPS. They can write their own to satisfy their customer needs in the store. Like let's say a real-time inventory app, or anything that helps the customer get better service or check out like a credit card reader tied into the stores P.O.S. System. I could go on but this thread has as usual become a bash a thon. Too bad people can't think why a company would go to a phone that has the ability to use APPS. Whether it's Android, iOS or BB.

And what is unfortunate is that half the people that have nothing to contribute in this thread sound just like the 2 CEO's in Waterloo. Lips move a lot but nothing of substance is coming out of them....
    Last edited by Accidental Post; 11-28-11 at 09:08 AM.
    11-27-11 01:13 PM
    MSMARA, If all you are hearing about with iOS and Android is game capabilities then it is doubtful you are speaking to enterprise users. Previously working in the mobile support field a year ago I saw a significant migration of enterprise accounts away from BB into the other OS, and as such devices. The reason is exactly as RDKEMPT described: applications. The ability to easily develop custom applications for sales and mobile employees is the draw as it gives companies the ability to gain more productivity out of an already significant expense item. And with Mobile Device Management software coming of age the whole security issue is fading quickly.

I love RIM and the platform but companies are looking for more and RIM just fell asleep in keeping up. Can they catch up without being acquired is a huge question. I hope so but feel that changes to executive management, product development and marketing may be necessary.

You're right I am most definitely not talking to enterprise users, this is coming from the 20s/college crowd.
    11-27-11 01:15 PM
    As ironic as this is I was just in my local lowes and yes they have iPhones and they use them to check inventory. Set delivery schedules and double check prices. That's what I saw an associate doing. The phone also had a case like they have at the apple store that has a barcode reader built in.

Sent from my MD276LL using Tapatalk
    11-27-11 01:41 PM
    Well that's because they're burnt out on playing Brick Breaker.

Or constantly stopping to check that flashing led light.
    Or tired of battery pulls!
    11-28-11 02:57 AM
    You are right, Apple bashing threads usually stay in this section the longest and pro Apple threads get moved very fast.

Keep hitting the report button I am sure it will be moved soon.
    Ony because the available mods have been oveloaded in other areas and the thread escaped attention. The description for this section is "RIM/BlackBerry-related News, Press Releases and Rumors" so it should be deleted... but out of kindness to members who covet their post count I will simply close the discussion.
    11-28-11 09:57 AM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD