Here's the dream device:

A low-power QNX-based feature phone. Basically a mix between the weeklong battery life and no-nonsense phonework of yesteryear. For those who want a feature phone with the benefits of contact sync and GPS. No app store.

I get the pangs of "what am I doing on my phone". Reading Internet articles, watching youtube videos, general dicking around. So I try to find a feature phone that fits into my life. And there isn't one that can replace my Q10 because I need GPS.

Basically, I'd like a lower-powered version of BB10. Simpler. Keep the hub if possible. Keep emails, contact sync, and GPS. Built-in Whatsapp, Facebook, whatever as most feature phones have these built in. But forget the more complicated and power hungry processes. Make it something that will last near a week. Color E-ink might actually be a great technology for this application. Lose the touchscreen and add a D-pad and call/end/back/bb (and keep the full qwerty keyboard of course).

That's what I'd truly love. A simplified BB10 with fewer bells and whistles, and no apps. It sounds crazy...just crazy enough to work.

Posted via CB10
    ami.one likes this.
    06-05-15 12:07 AM
    Quite a good idea. Specially for people on frequent schedules of multiple flights a day. Though it should probably have a browser too at least. (i know - that's how we end up with a gazillion features but at least a browser takes care of all emergency needs).

Since BB seems to be going in for niche devices targeted at different types of power users etc etc , this too fits the bill.

Or maybe it should be a full featured BB 10 device with a e-ink display at the back and it can remain in a low powered state with only work email, calls sms and browser available until to switch to the color lcd screen when everything come on. like yotaphone2. So that you never need to carry two device - feature phone for most use and smart phone for occasional use through the day.
    06-05-15 12:47 AM
    Quite a good idea. Specially for people on frequent schedules of multiple flights a day. Though it should probably have a browser too at least. (i know - that's how we end up with a gazillion features but at least a browser takes care of all emergency needs).

Since BB seems to be going in for niche devices targeted at different types of power users etc etc , this too fits the bill.

Or maybe it should be a full featured BB 10 device with a e-ink display at the back and it can remain in a low powered state with only work email, calls sms and browser available until to switch to the color lcd screen when everything come on. like yotaphone2. So that you never need to carry two device - feature phone for most use and smart phone for occasional use through the day.
    The problem is that the price gets so high with two screens. And I kind of just want the simplified experience, lose the distractions and get down to brass tacks. Also, reduce eye strain. YotaPhone is cool, but it seems like they didn't have the balls to just make a straight E-ink phone.

But I agree about the browser. All feature phones have a browser anyway, so it shouldn't be an issue. I wonder what the most power hungry processes are for BB10...

Thanks for the response.

Posted via CB10
    06-05-15 12:53 AM
    The most power hungry components/processes for typical users are: Screen & PIM (email) around 20-30% each then Phone & Browser around 10-15% each then System & Standby around 5-10% each then Home Screen or Apps like FB / WhatsApp / Twitter etc. around 1-5% each (in BB10, the messaging of these apps is covered under PIM but in other Operating systems it is covered in the respective apps unless you have notifications enabled for these apps)

For me since I have 5-6 email accounts configured (work, personal, moonlighting work, one email for useless stuff, 2 emails of my family members (one is too old to check emails frequently and other is too young to check emails frequently so only does whatsapp FB type of things so..) and messages from FB/WA/TWTRetc) PIM is around 50%. Next is System 15% (don't know what exactly it means but i do copy files too and fro and use hotspot frequently so it may be that), Standby 15%, Phone 10%, Browser 5% and Apps & other things 5%

Looking at this, it doesn't seem like you can save any power by removing apps (unless you play games or reload FB compulsively).
    You would save power mainly for using e-ink screen, reducing number of emails or polling / push times to say 30 min, having a better / deeper sleep for the CPU (or using small+big CPU combinations where small ones do sleep, email, phone, sms and big one does screen graphics apps etc.). Biggest effect I have felt is offcourse reducing brightness & screen sleep time and switching off GPS, WIFI, BT, NFC etc but i no longer do all that since it makes it pointless to have a smartphone.

** I am waiting for someone so have nothing better to do than post random thoughts here
    And I just noticed you are a CB Genius, so you probably already know all this!
    06-05-15 02:10 AM
    Yeah, I was more thinking which of these expensive processes could be reduced or killed. Good points about the spread out server checks. Losing the touch screen and implementing an e-ink screen would probably be enormous. Reduce the complexity of animations. I guess losing youtube and complex browser experience.

I think it could be done, even with an LCD instead of eink. Probably just one or two email accounts.

Now you could go all out with reducing and simplifying. But you could also gradually scale this up to something closer to modern bb10. My point is that I don't necessarily need (or even want) all the excess of a smartphone. Multi-tasking etc. BlackBerry could make the best feature phone on the market, heck bb10 is often used in a very simple way by a lot of users already, so it wouldn't be such a leap.

Cheers bud

Posted via CB10
    06-05-15 08:39 AM