first post here ...

I am in a similar situation. I knew in advance that Verizon requires a data plan, which caused me to think about this purchase for several weeks before I finally did it. For me, the I really need an organizer, especially a calendar that would synch with our Outlook calendar at home. We have four kids and it is tough to keep track of where everyone needs to be and when. (I could carry a Palm and a cell phone, but I am not the purse-carrying type of guy.)

When I researched the solutions for a phone that would easily synch with Outlook, without buying extra software, Blackberry ends up as the winner. So the $23/month is the cost of helping me be organized.
    10-17-08 07:59 AM
    Oh, I agree! I used to carry a PDA and phone, but not always a purse. So when I was without the purse I had to choose the phone and I would miss my "important" reminders. It's great to be able to slip the Curve in my pocket and have my life handy all the time. I'm really glad I made the switch because I'm still lovin' my curve!
    10-17-08 08:16 AM
    It depends; when I initially got the Curve I got it for the fast internet and the ability to use Opera Mini to go to any website with desktop browsing experience, IM programs and easy texting...but now I find that I use ALL the features!

When I was looking for a job the PUSH email really helped me with responding to e-mail from employers, and I was able to land a job in about 2weeks in a tough job market. When someone emails you and you email them right back within 2 minutes, there is a good chance they will get it before they leave their desk. BUT, you say that you do not use the push e-mail features; I'm not sure what to tell you then; that has been one of the major selling points for the blackberry since day one. You might be better off with a hybrid phone/smart phone..there are quite a few of them out, and if you don't need PUSH then they would suit your needs very well; a lot of them even have qwerty boards and good internet access as well.
    Last edited by dredayholiday; 10-17-08 at 08:54 AM.
    10-17-08 08:46 AM
    I figure that I am an adult and work full time. I have no reason to justify to myself or any other person why I need one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-17-08 09:44 AM
    I figure that I am an adult and work full time. I have no reason to justify to myself or any other person why I need one.

AMEN! Haha. My wife thinks that I love my "stupid BlackBerry", as she so ignorantly puts it, more than her....haha. Truth hurts sweety! J/K. I do love the fact that I could be out running errands and I am still working, all from my hip! I LOVE THAT CONCEPT! Beats sitting at my desk staring at a computer screen all day, not that there is anything wrong with that!
    10-17-08 10:41 AM
    My children are done with the 4 year degrees (Thank God!) but if they were still in I would get them BB's.
    10-17-08 10:47 AM
    So who do you need to justify it to? Your spouse? Your accountant? Yourself? Everyone has some discretion over their own spending and if you choose to put some to a Blackberry as opposed to something else, so be it. If you choose to spend your money elsewhere, that's your choice too.

10-17-08 12:00 PM
    I'm a student and a Nanny- truth be told my Berry is a toy for me. I don't go out much and most of my friends live far away so I like being able to instantly get a hold of them/them me. You can do so much with the BB- just get used to it. Data isn't only for email!I sync my calendar online, I bbm, facebook, etc. It's much less intrusive to have a Blackberry than a cellphone and a laptop. Oh and tethering... 26$ a month for data is cheap by Canadian standards

Last edited by Navan; 10-17-08 at 04:32 PM.
    10-17-08 04:27 PM
    The reason I have a bb is the fun factor of it. But I am also always on the go. Work really plays a factor with it. This device must save me about 10 hours a week from having to schedule people and just tasks that need to be done, I can do it on the go so this is a perfect device to have for any occasion in my opinion.

Plus I love the brick breaker. and browsing the web.
    10-17-08 06:15 PM
    " I cant be without it! I have TMobile and my unlimited blackberry plan is $19.99 and WELL worth it."

yes mam I feel the same way....
    Now if I could get my college classes on here....
    10-18-08 01:48 AM
    Well to truly enjoy your berrys full functionality you need data but that is a personal choice. Either way welcome to CB and hope you enjoy.
    10-18-08 07:06 AM
    I believe that there are (technically) better ways of messaging -- Facebook, email, etc. I see it this way: For a bit more per month, I can send messages AND browse the web, do instant messaging, and (for dorks like me) administer a server.
    Oh, e-mail and IM are much better than text. But if the people you need to message only have dumbphones that can only text, what can you do? It might be possible to e-mail "[email protected]" or something like that to text a phone for free, but I'm not sure. Anyone know?
    10-18-08 05:56 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD