Here's RIM's latest reply:

Thank you for your continued interest in the BlackBerry solution. This is Brandon from the Handheld Escalation Team at Research In Motion.

This issue has been brought to the attention to our internal Software Development Team and has been identified as a software defect. For your information, a software development request has been logged related to this issue. The software development request number is SDR130440. This issue is targeted for resolution in a future release of our device software. Meanwhile we do recommend that you would consider to bring down the total number of contacts in your address book down to 4000 and below. At about 4000 contacts, Voice Activated Dialing as tested worked a little better if you said "Call" first and then the contact's name. Obviously there are a few names it would struggle with, but common names such as "Bob" are good ones that could be easily recognized by Voice Activated Dialing.

At such the Voice Activated Dialing will be further upgraded & improved in the next release version of the device software. Due to the nature of this issue, there is no workaround currently to address this issue

We do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Meanwhile we will be closing off this ticket.

Thank you for using BlackBerry Technical Support.

Sincerely,

Brandon
    BlackBerry Handheld Escalation Team
    Research In Motion Limited

Email: [email protected]
    07-08-08 10:35 AM
    Holy ****!! That is a lot of contacts.

I used to be a VAD hater. I could never get it to work so I would remove it via John Clark's instructions. After reading lots of positive things about it on the forums in the past couple of months, I decided to give it another shot and it seems to be working pretty good. The key is to pronounce words phonetically(sp?) and not the correct way. For instance, Bonnot, my last name is pronounced Bu-no. VAD recognizes it as Bon-ut. Minor things but something that must be remembered when using. Also First and Last names are a must.
    07-08-08 10:46 AM
    I used VAD a fair amount on my Razr, tho it is different and requires "training." Tried it on my Pearl and it works OK but is no more convenient than dialing any other way so I don't use it.
    07-08-08 12:53 PM
    one thing that i have found when using VAD, is that because it doesnt need to be trained, you really need to pronounce names how the phone hears them... The way you pronounce your name and the way the phne understands it, could be different and this could cause stress... As someone mentioned before, it does help putting first and last names in, and mentioning whether its a mobile, home, work, etc phone. I use mine all the time and love it, wicked for driving.
    07-08-08 03:03 PM
    I certainly can respect the personal preference of my peers with regards to appreciating vs. disliking VAD. I am a proponent, however - I find myself making a lot of calls while driving (bluetooth headset), and it's so convenient that way. I also tend to be a quickdraw with my phone & prefer only having to hit 1 button when I whip the Curve out & tell it who I need to call. No problems whatsoever with it recognizing what I'm saying.

On a slight tangent: is there a way to change it so that the phone doesn't announce it's confirmation/prompt via speaker? I'd prefer to have it say it's confirmation through the earpiece. I know I can just disable the prompts altogether; but I want to leave them on b/c sometimes I say "Call Kate" and it'll just beep - instead of reminding me that I need to choose between her home # or mobile #. I just don't want my Curve telling everyone else in the room who I'm trying to call.
    07-15-08 06:15 PM
    I didn't like it, so I deleted it..
    07-15-08 06:56 PM
    Never use voice dialing. I just type in the first few letters of the person I want to call from the home screen. It brings it up and I then choose which number. Quick and simple. I've never had much success with voice dialing especially with any kind of background noise.
    =8')

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-15-08 07:11 PM
    I deleted it never used it on any of my phone so when i got the curve I deleted it to free space
    07-15-08 07:19 PM
    Works fine, large fine in NJ for not using bluetooth
    07-15-08 07:32 PM
    I like but don't use much. Force of habbit to just type it in real quick
    07-15-08 07:35 PM
    I only use it on the rare occasion that I am using my Bluetooh headset, but even in those few times, I am iffy on it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It has more or less become something I only use when I am driving, Bluetooth on, phone in the holster on my belt and I can't easily get it out because the seat belt is blocking it or something.
    same here except im usually doing something else (not driving-Im 12) and have my bluetooth headset on.
    07-15-08 08:10 PM
    I like but don't use much. Force of habbit to just type it in real quick
    same here.
    07-15-08 08:11 PM
    On a slight tangent: is there a way to change it so that the phone doesn't announce it's confirmation/prompt via speaker? I'd prefer to have it say it's confirmation through the earpiece. I know I can just disable the prompts altogether; but I want to leave them on b/c sometimes I say "Call Kate" and it'll just beep - instead of reminding me that I need to choose between her home # or mobile #. I just don't want my Curve telling everyone else in the room who I'm trying to call.
    Am I missing something here? You just told your phone to "Call Kate", and thus everyone else in the room.
    07-16-08 01:58 AM
    Just curious, how many contacts do you have? I've reduced mine below the 4000 the techs said is max... and still doesn't work.
    07-16-08 10:56 AM
    Ive really only used it once or twice and it works fine...but I prefer to just hit the button and dial
    07-16-08 12:41 PM
    i dont like it which is why its not even on my bb anymore.... its not that hard for me to find a number in my address book.. plus i have like 150 numbers to have to program a name for all of them would take me forever ick.
    07-16-08 12:44 PM
    Am I missing something here? You just told your phone to "Call Kate", and thus everyone else in the room.
    Please disregard. I didn't mean it like I was sitting at a table with friends & using VAD . More like I felt extremely self-conscious using voice dialing in public and having my phone announce stuff quite loudly - it has startled passersby on occassion.

It'd be a personal preference for me to have the phone say whatever directly into my ear. But instead I just turned the Playback Volume down and it's significantly better. When I found the setting it was on loudest... probably something I was playing around with when I first got my Curve & forgot about.
    07-16-08 09:32 PM
    Please disregard. I didn't mean it like I was sitting at a table with friends & using VAD . More like I felt extremely self-conscious using voice dialing in public and having my phone announce stuff quite loudly - it has startled passersby on occassion.

It'd be a personal preference for me to have the phone say whatever directly into my ear. But instead I just turned the Playback Volume down and it's significantly better. When I found the setting it was on loudest... probably something I was playing around with when I first got my Curve & forgot about.
    OK. I get it now. FYI: If you have a BT headset it funnels the voice through that. Also, I think RIM just figured if you're using VAD you are probably driving or doing something where you can't/shouldn't be holding the phone to your ear. To them I say, never underestimate the power of laziness. That was just a joke btw.
    07-17-08 12:47 AM
    Hate it, it doesn't recognize my accent soooo...
    07-17-08 06:36 AM
    I keep hitting the button by accident but I plan to delete it to free up space. I have no need for it.
    07-17-08 07:15 AM
    Love or hate?

I deleted it.
    07-17-08 08:19 AM
121 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD