With all the hype around the Z30, I'd be lying if I said was interested. I'm more interested in a QWERTY version of the Z30 if anything! I don't know why BlackBerry hasn't put two-and-two together yet but they've yet to combine the best of both worlds. A physical QWERTY keyboard and a decent large screen. While I do have an iPhone I've been longing to fully come back to BlackBerry and the physical keyboard for too long but a 3 inch screen will not do. Which brings us to this:

Lord of the QWERTY-q11_61.jpg

Source

These days, the term �smartphone� usually implies a full-touchscreen device with a virtual keyboard. After all, almost all of the recent mid- and high-tier smartphones have no physical keyboards. There is a reason for this of course. And let�s face it. What most people want are smartphones with large screens on thin devices along with apps that they can use to entertain themselves or get things done. Of course, nobody wants a phone that is inconveniently large, but generally the larger the screen the easier it is to create software that brings a superior experience.

But it is all set for all-touch? Not quite. The demand behind the BlackBerry Q10 has shown that there is still a solid market for that good �old BlackBerry with the front-facing keyboard. At the end of the day, the fundamental physical limitations of a solid sheet of glass to act as a traditional keyboard makes it unable to deliver the intricate feel and experience of mechanically functional keys. Smartphones with hidden, retractable keyboards don�t quite make for a thin device with a quality keyboard too, which is probably why you don�t see a BlackBerry 10 device with a sliding keyboard. These days though, no matter how great the BlackBerry Q10 may be, it is working against a massively strong trend toward the larger screens.

The QWERTY market has steadily been taking a smaller and smaller slice of the smartphone pie. Is the market forever doomed to swathes of slabs of glass, giving fewer and fewer options to those who stand by all that is QWERTY? Maybe, just maybe, all is not lost. The fate of the physical keyboard smartphone may rest in BlackBerry�s hands.

BlackBerry, as we all know, is here today because of their iconic QWERTY keyboard smartphones. It takes a brave soul to argue against the supremacy of BlackBerry in the QWERTY keyboard smartphone market. On the other hand, the BlackBerry Z10 is a small fish in a big pond as it stands. BlackBerry will very likely do decently well anyway with their all-touchscreen offering. Though against my strong advocation for the virtual keyboard, I believe that BlackBerry is in the best position to deliver the second coming of QWERTY with their hardware keyboard pedigree.

The trend towards larger smartphone screens is extremely strong and is largely independent of preference towards physical or virtual keyboards. In fact, the proportion of smartphone users who prefer a physical keyboard remains very significant despite the migration towards touchscreen smartphones. Compile all this information and you end up at the inevitable conclusion that QWERTY smartphones need larger screens.

With flagship smartphones like the Galaxy S4 and HTC One (and even ridiculously huge phones like the Galaxy Note 2) selling quite well, it just shows there is a market for larger smartphones. At only 3.1 inches diagonally, the BlackBerry Q10 is obviously in a different league. But with the benefits of the physical keyboard, it is obviously not practical for the Q10 to match these other all-touchscreen smartphones in terms of screen size. But there is definitely room for improvement!

Alas, I propose my vision for the BlackBerry Q11!

A 720x 960 portrait screen QWERTY device, designed to give that large screen experience with the same solid Q10 keyboard. With an aspect ratio of 3:4, you�re able to cram more onto the display, which is great for browsing, BBM, email, Twitter, FaceBook, pictures, documents, and pretty much everything else that people do on smartphones. Games should be easier to port onto the Q11. User interfaces of apps will also be easier to tweak to work as well. I firmly believe that this type of QWERTY device is the kind that will draw people back to QWERTY. Many of those who are hesitant to switch from all-touch smartphones to QWERTY smartphones are worried about losing the big-screen experience. In my opinion, there is no reason why so much screen real estate has to be sacrificed. Why not make that decision easier and give them the best of both worlds?

The Q10 has screen dimensions of approximately 2.2 by 2.2 inches. The change would result in the Q11 having a screen size of 2.2 by 2.9 inches, a vertical increase of about 0.7 inches or 18mm. To put this in perspective, this is about the height of the bottom navigation bar on the Z10. This increase in display height makes it easier to accommodate such a navigation bar.

Now, of course there can be some issues with the design. Firstly, the balance of the phone is a potential issue. But considering how it will still be shorter than the Z10, and perhaps only 1 cm taller than the present Q10, I doubt it will be a problem at all. Secondly, it will be difficult to cram the multitude of smartphone components inside such a frame. The earpiece speaker, cameras, sensors, power button, and perhaps another microphone will have to be squeezed into a narrower top bezel. While this could be an issue, it�s more of an excuse. This is a potential problem that can be solved with the excellent engineering we know BlackBerry is capable of. There even may be more drawbacks, but to be brutally honest, I doubt they will justify keeping a square display. The advantages are simply huge cannot be realized without an increase in display height. The Q10 may be �great� and �good enough� to some who prefer having a smaller form factor, but this larger screen can be integrated into the present Q10 with very little change to the size. There is plenty of space on the front of Q10. Even if it is technically difficult to do, BlackBerry should aim to accomplish it.

With that taken into account. If BlackBerry is to truly give a �no compromises� experience, the Q-series cannot remain as is with a square display. Going to a 3:4 aspect ratio will make for a better experience with apps, better content consumption, and perhaps even more room for an even larger battery. The market has spoken, and it is about time to redefine the QWERTY experience into something better suited to the times we live in. BlackBerry now has the chance to resurrect the QWERTY segment of the smartphone market with a hybrid device that can take full advantage of the BlackBerry 10 experience while delivering a solid physical keyboard. I firmly believe that this type of device is one that can truly compete with other touchscreen smartphones while maintaining a fundamental advantage with a hardware keyboard. BlackBerry should not aim to create the best QWERTY smartphone, but the best smartphone. Period.
    Source (More pics at the source)
    Bbnivende likes this.
    08-09-13 11:10 AM
    I love my Q10 but I really don't like this concept...

The bezel is far too small (how can a case fit without covering the screen?

As well, the device just looks awkward (maybe it'd be better if there was bezel around to make it a bit wider).

I think what would be a much better idea is to have a thin client tablet (16:9) that properly connects to the Q10 and serves as a second screen (and runs apps as 16:9).

There is really no need for a 3.5 vs 3.1 inch screen when a 3.1 inch plus a 7 inch tablet is possible (all one device).

Posted via CB10
    08-09-13 11:38 AM
    100% agree with Plazmic Flame!
    I'd buy it right away!
    It's the device i am expecting for years!
    Please Blackberry just do it!!!

Posted via CB10
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    08-09-13 08:02 PM
    While some people will like that device, anyone who thinks that it could ever have been the first qwerty bb10 device is living in a dream world because the first one always had to be a bridge from bbos to bb10 to drive upgrade sales.

Something like this, albeit with a better looking design could very easily be on the cards for next year as a way to appeal to other parts of the market such as the vocal slider minority, people ready to upgrade their z10 and people using handsets from other companies who would be interested in a qwerty keyboard but don't want to give up the screen size.

One thing to consider, a larger screen qwerty might not imply a widescreen display, with the display being heavier than the actual keyboard part there is always going to be the tendency for an approach like that to result in a device which is a bit top heavy and not ergonomic enough. You could stick with the square display for consistency with existing model and if you increased the width you could readily end up with a display in the 4.2" - 4.5" range and also be improving the typing experience at the same time due to the larger keys unlike on more top-heavy design where the keyboard remained narrow.

In your opinion that concept design is lord of the qwerty, but are overlooking what is the most important part of a qwerty device, it is not simply about slapping on a bigger display and deciding you are finished, the true lord of the qwerty should also have to have the best typing experience to deserve such a title.
    kbz1960 and Brutal Efficiency like this.
    08-10-13 07:11 AM
    best thing if BB did it
    08-10-13 07:18 AM
    Yeah I'd buy that.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-13 07:25 AM
    I have the Z10 now but I miss the qwerty so bad. Picked up the old 9900 and wow. Z10 and bb10 is awesome but miss that tactile feel. I may look for q10 unless they release a larger Q30 type.

Posted via CB10 with Z10
    10-15-13 08:34 PM
    Portrait slider is the answer... but hard buttons and trackpad are required or I fear it will only sell as much as a full-slab device or qwerty devices that already exist.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-13 08:41 PM
    i like it!!
    10-15-13 10:47 PM
    Portrait slider is the answer... but hard buttons and trackpad are required or I fear it will only sell as much as a full-slab device or qwerty devices that already exist.

Posted via CB10
    You again...
    nevermind...

Posted via CB10
    10-16-13 01:02 AM
    Just combine Z10 screen with Q10 keyboard. It will just be taller but same width. Therefore will still easily be held and keyed with a single hand but more screen space. Don't change screen size from Z10 for maximum portability of apps. We will get used quickly to its balance. Ever tried to hold an iPad when reding in bed? Forget it. Can't beat the width of Q10 and Z10.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-13 06:44 AM
    Just combine Z10 screen with Q10 keyboard. It will just be taller but same width. Therefore will still easily be held and keyed with a single hand but more screen space. Don't change screen size from Z10 for maximum portability of apps. We will get used quickly to its balance. Ever tried to hold an iPad when reding in bed? Forget it. Can't beat the width of Q10 and Z10.

Posted via CB10
    Way too long. Never.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-13 08:28 AM
    The Q10 is already perfect. The majority of people order the Q10 for the keyboard knowing the screen size is going to be small. Its a sacrifice but one that isn't a big deal (to me anyways). Its perfect size for a phone and is extremely efficient. If you're wanting something with a bigger screen but still want the keyboard, maybe try getting a Q10 then maybe like an Ipad mini, samsung galaxy tab or something small that's still portable, to watch movies and videos on. You would also get more of an app selection. Its like killing 2 birds with one stone

Posted via CB10
    10-16-13 04:29 PM
    That's just my opinion though

Posted via CB10
    10-16-13 04:29 PM
    The Q10 is already perfect. The majority of people order the Q10 for the keyboard knowing the screen size is going to be small. Its a sacrifice but one that isn't a big deal (to me anyways). Its perfect size for a phone and is extremely efficient. If you're wanting something with a bigger screen but still want the keyboard, maybe try getting a Q10 then maybe like an Ipad mini, samsung galaxy tab or something small that's still portable, to watch movies and videos on. You would also get more of an app selection. Its like killing 2 birds with one stone

Posted via CB10
    No, it's killing two birds with two stones.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-13 06:07 PM

Posted via CB10
    That's my whole mantra with blackberry. I use my phone to communicate. It's on all me all the time. I don't need it for games etc.

I have a iPad which I use for work and for rec time at home.

Works well.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-13 06:33 AM
    There's nothing wrong with having games available for those that want them, the thing is though, games are not in short supply anyway and the app gap that still needs to be bridged is on things like social media clients (g+, instagram etc.) and free apps to support paid services. (spotify, netflix etc.)
    10-20-13 12:06 PM
    Thats would be sick OP but I like my Q10 for what it is: ultimate communication device that I can carry around everywhere. Having a big screen design like that pic would prob compromise on some batt life which is so key for a qwerty bb phone
    10-20-13 12:13 PM
    Thats would be sick OP but I like my Q10 for what it is: ultimate communication device that I can carry around everywhere. Having a big screen design like that pic would prob compromise on some batt life which is so key for a qwerty bb phone
    Having that big screen would allow for more space inside for a bigger battery.

BlackBerry Bold 9900; Q10; Z10 [BBM#6]
    10-20-13 03:32 PM
    Looks a little big for most people. How about a small portable blue tooth BlackBerry keyboard, then you could use it on more than one phone.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-13 05:07 PM
    The screen is important these days. Media consumption is important. A screen with a different aspect ratio instead of 1:1 will be key making a phone attractive for media consumption. The larger screen will make the phone look different and stand out like the first BlackBerry phones. I'm hoping for a 1080p screen and a phone as wide as 6 inch phablet, about 92mm such as the Sony Z 6.4. Big screen and big real keyboard. That should do it!

"MegaBlackBerry doesn't fit in the avatar box..."
    BroncoVAL and Plazmic Flame like this.
    10-21-13 01:24 AM
    You again...
    nevermind...
    I wish I had the free time to come on Internet discussion boards, slag other's posts and offer no other contribution... you did that a three times in this topic alone. Your mom must be proud.

Having the hard buttons on a slider is even more important in trying to reach the top corners of the screen with one hand on a device any larger than even the Z10... on a Z30 a trackpad would be a godsend... i'm going to email BlackBerry a suggestion to add an option to the home screen to sort the icons from the bottom up because you can't put your most used apps near the bottom of the device where they can be reached with your thumb unless there just the right number of "filler" apps pushing them down to the bottom.
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 10-22-13 at 11:43 AM.
    10-22-13 11:19 AM

Posted via CB10
    Chase - The Q10 is not perfect. It is a niche phone that just meets the needs of those who absolutely NEED a physical keyboard. I think the Lord model if it were offered would greatly increase BlackBerry's viability in the market place. It could be the one phone that BlackBerry could build that would actually enhance the BlackBerry image.
    10-22-13 05:32 PM