I was looking for a good free GPS app... I want it to give me turn by turn instructions and also to be able to do that GeoCaching thing. I work for a monument company and want to be able to enter in cemeteries when I get to them and be able to retrieve the info later when I need to go back so I can find the hard ones in the middle of nowhere... Any suggestions or even maybe some that are not very expensive...
    08-29-09 09:32 AM
    Bump...
    Looking for one myself
    08-29-09 09:55 AM
    Too bad you both are not with Sprint, the 8330's come with internal GPS and the free Sprint Navigation app has a lady speaking turn by turn directions. I will look around for a free app, but I think they may all be paid ones.
    08-29-09 10:11 AM
    A geocaching app would be fantastic!
    08-29-09 10:26 AM
    blackstar works well for geocaching... it's a little hard to figure out at first but once you're accustomed to it, it does everything i need it to. it's available for free in the BB app store.

as for a free GPS program... you have to activate Telenav to unlock GPS on alltel phones. i was going to cancel it, but it's been 5 months and i've never been charged so i'm still using it. at least alltel does still have SOME benefits.
    08-29-09 10:35 AM
    The gps on these bb's (the 8330) is really a novelty at best. The chip is weak and the 3rd party apps(especially the free ones)are marginal in quality. I have tried several of the gps apps (paid and free both)and have deleted them because they mostly suck. If you really have a need for a gps nav system go spend the $150 on a garmin you'll be much happier in the end.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-29-09 10:39 AM
    i've found that almost all third party apps will run GPS with no problem if i first open Telenav, click find my location, close it, then run the other apps. satellite lock takes about 5 seconds as opposed to 5 minutes that way.
    08-29-09 10:43 AM
    blackstar works well for geocaching... it's a little hard to figure out at first but once you're accustomed to it, it does everything i need it to. it's available for free in the BB app store.

as for a free GPS program... you have to activate Telenav to unlock GPS on alltel phones. i was going to cancel it, but it's been 5 months and i've never been charged so i'm still using it. at least alltel does still have SOME benefits.
    Thanks, just downloaded blackstar.
    08-29-09 11:25 AM
    Amaze GPS is the best GPS app I've ever used (being free or paid) it is free...I use it a lot on my Bold and always works great.
    08-29-09 11:28 AM
    I've been using Mapquest Navigator for the past year with great success. Granted, it's not free, but it does have turn by turn verbal prompts and works!
    08-29-09 11:30 AM
    I use telmap navigator and it works well.

forkup
    08-29-09 11:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD