Hello all, my better half and myself currently have Torch 9800s that we've had for the last 5 or 6 years. While these have been great phones, we both feel its time for something new. It is hard to figure out which phone suits us because it's not like we can go to the store and check them out, since nobody seems to carry them anymore.

Anyway i have been looking at the Classic, which i think i would really like, and my other half had mentioned the Z30 but also likes the Classic.

The things we like about the Torch are basically durability, keyboard, size. Things we don't like are basically, well, its 3G! Actually they have been great phones, dropped hundreds of times, but still mostly work fine. For our use (email, text, phone, pictures, occasional internet) they have been great. I think we are more concerned with something that is built to last (as these obviously are) and wont break the second time they are dropped. Also we don't watch movies and videos that much on our phones, though want the option to be there should we decide to, i suppose.

I went to a Best Buy to look at phones recently and looked at a Samsung Galaxy, which was an impressive phone, but not for me. The guy who showed it to me was intent on showing off the picture and video capability of it. While impressive, he didn't understand (or seem to care) that i dont really want or need a phone to watch movies from all of the time. Guess i am a simple person

When i asked him about the reliability of the Galaxy, he said that it would have to be replaced in 2 years when the contract was done. What? No thanks. The phone is too big for me anyway to be honest. My sister has an LG phone, again very nice, but not what we want.

Honestly the BlackBerry is what im looking to stay with. The Classic seems like a good fit or move for us. Neither one of us like the touch screen keyboards, the physical keyboard is just great. I don't know if the size of the Classic would be an issue for either of us but i suspect not.

Any thoughts? Also does anyone know when the blue or bronze Classics will be available for sale? Thanks in advance.
    03-23-15 09:52 AM
    It sounds like the Classic was made for you and your wife. Coming from a 9800, the fact that the Classic has the row of buttons will make the transition to BB10 somewhat less of a shock, but be warned, it will still be a shock.

My transition was from the 9800 to the Z10. While at first I swore up and down I should have waited for the Q10 and it's physical keyboard, I had worn out my 9800 and just couldn't make myself wait any longer.

For the first 7 days I continued to carry my 9800. At about day 8 I wanted to throw my Z10 across the room. On day 9 my muscle memory started to accept BB10 gestures. After two weeks, I found it harder to navigate my 9800 than my Z10. And now I'm almost helpless with any device that doesn't use gestures.

Any device for you coming from a phone as old as the 9800 is going to be a shock and anything is going to be a major improvement in speed. If your wife is curious about the Z30, the touch keyboard on BB10 phones is one of the best out there. I now pound away on glass faster than I ever thought possible.

I just ordered a Passport, and while I'm looking forward to using it, I'm still trying to figure out a way that I can sometimes use my Z10 if I feel like it. Touchscreen typing has grown on me for sure.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-15 11:43 AM
    Don't count out the BlackBerry 10 touchkeyboard until you try it.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-15 11:47 AM
    Maybe you wanna wait for the BlackBerry 10 slider that was teased.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-15 01:04 PM
    What @rawdil said. If you've held on this long, it might be worth a little longer wait to get the slider that I believe is due out later this year. Not many details about it but I'm guessing it's going to be a premium phone.
    Having said that you can't go wrong with either the classic or Z30. It's win - win no matter how you slice it. Just be sure you're good with a virtual keyboard (if you opt for Z30) as some folks have a tough time transitioning.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-15 01:29 PM
    Just get the Z30 for the both of you. They are cheap, extremely well built, have great battery life similar to your Torch if not actually better. The non-physical keyboard on them is better spaced than the one on the Z10 and the screen is easier to read because its bigger.

Plus if you do end up using the speakers to play music nothing out there is better for sound. I got the Z10 for my mom and the Z30 for my dad and I used to have a Z10. All great phones. Also the one nice thing is that the battery life was always somewhat consistent. The Z10 lasted a day usually sometimes more. I am on Android now and my battery life has halved in the last almost year of ownership and I have had to customize it so it works for me. The BlackBerry phones just work out of the box well now.
    03-23-15 01:53 PM
    Consider the Q5 as well. You can get it for 100 bucks if you're lucky and it has more or less the same specs as the Classic. Could also be your backup phone.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-15 01:58 PM
    The Classic was built to help transition BlackBerry Legacy users to BB10. The hardware keyboard is the best BlackBerry has ever made.

But right now pricing for the Z30 puts it at great value. My wife has one and the build quality looks like it was built to last. We also choose BlackBerry because we didn't want to have to update our phones every 1-2 years. We want the choice, not the necessity to upgrade.

If at all possible handle them in person. For me, a Classic would be perfect. I miss the precision of the toolbelt. My wife needs all touch.

 Q10 
    03-23-15 02:32 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry OP!

I think that having a trackpad and a PKB is your best choice. Since you are off contract you might want to buy unlocked contracts.

The other issue is that no matter you purchase, your data used will increase. Get a "shared" plan that you can upgrade or downgrade as required.
    03-23-15 02:52 PM
    Either phone will be great for u. BB10 does have the best VKB around. I had the Z10 for about 18 months. I have the Classic now and could not be any happier. Great phone. Gorgeous LCD screen, which I prefer over the amoled (on the Q10 and Z30). Great keyboard. Battery life does last me a day. I am a heavy user - texts, phone calls, surfing, some YouTube videos etc.

These phones have lots of bells and whistles that u will love. Hub, Blend, StoryMaker app, HDMI, USB2GO, better Voice assistant and so on... Google apps thru Amazon and Snap (sideload) will be an added bonus too.

Good luck!

Posted via Classic
    03-23-15 03:49 PM
    Thank you all for the kind welcome and advice.

I should also mention that with my Torch the battery is becoming an issue, i have to charge it about every day now, whereas before i did not. It has been quite a good phone though. Thought about the new slider mentioned previously but not sure when that is coming out or if we could (or should) wait that long.

I do really like the physical keyboard, which makes me lean heavily towards the Classic.
    03-23-15 06:03 PM
    Classic.

Be classically hip with the BlackBerry Classic
    03-23-15 06:15 PM
    I sold my passport and bought the classic. Love it!

Posted via CB10
    03-23-15 06:50 PM
    If you are in Canada and don't want to spend much money, get the BlackBerry q5 at future shop for only $100 prepaid.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-15 07:20 PM
    Q5 has only 8 gigs internal memory. A bit slim.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 03-23-15 at 10:11 PM.
    03-23-15 08:33 PM
    I have every BlackBerry phone. I actually continue to switch back and forth depending upon the situation.

I forget if you said what network you are on but if you are on the att network, then the z30 won't get lte depending upon where you live.

I would go with the Classic. It is an awesome piece of hardware and hard to beat for your use case of heavy messaging, etc. It will be on all networks. It has great battery life and has all the older BlackBerry functions that you are used to. Keyboard, short cuts, and then toolbelt. I find it the best daily driver. I just wish they put a slightly faster processor in it (say the z30 processor)

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 02:51 PM
    personally in love with passport battery life is guaranteed 24 hours with me gaming playing vids and using it as my workhorse for all my emails and communication. if i don't game heavy i can get close to 2 days have never been happier knowing i can get a device that lasts all day.
    03-24-15 03:30 PM
    If you're wanting a real keyboard and a "not-huge" device I'd get a Classic or a Q10.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 04:09 PM
    Reading your post, sounds like the Classic is the best fit. The Q10 is a bit smaller, but you also lose a little bit of screen real estate (and the belt). A friend of mine just got one, and it has a nice solid feel to it for sure. So if you're looking for a gentle push, I say go for it.

Personally, I love the Passport but I suspect you'd find that way too bulky!
    03-24-15 04:17 PM
    Buy the classic, hands down, this is the phone for your needs!

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport
    03-25-15 02:22 PM
    I have a Z10, keyboard is very easy after you get used to it. My next phone will be a Z30 or similar depending on the timing. Having the full screen for viewing e-mail and videos is awesome. As well as with blend you can connect to computers and with the micro usb to HDMI adaptor you can connect to most TVs and work with a 40, 50, 60 inch screen or watch your videos or pictures. Excellent durable phone. My wife and 2 children all had iPhone 4S' and 2 of 3 didn't survive the 2 year term. LOL.

 Z10
    03-25-15 08:10 PM
    Given that you are coming from BBOS I would say the Classic. That way you get all the strengths of BlackBerry 10 with the convenience of the tool belt.

Mind you if you have the time to learn the BB10 gestures any of the BB10 devices will work. I went directly from the 9900 to a Z10 and now the Q10 and I never really found the learning curve all that steep.

Since you do a lot of writing I think one of the three PKB phones would be best.

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende likes this.
    03-25-15 08:25 PM
    While I swear by my Passport I think your Instincts are right about the Classic. Sounds like it would work best for the two of you. Can I ask what carrier you are using? Do you have an upgrade? And make sure you get back to us and let us know what you decided. There are plenty of folks here that can get the two of you up to speed with BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-15 10:03 PM