how any of this matters in the real world I don't know, were there any law's broken by RIM, no. just more pile on. Perhaps we need to go back to the day before freedoms were a right! stupid people will find smart ways to be stupid!
    08-09-11 06:27 AM
    Take a view of my rant!!

Assholes need to go to jail. That is, the ones causing all of the damage.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-09-11 06:43 AM
    "Don't quite understand looting whilst rioting. At what point do you stop standing up for what you believe in and decide life would be better with a free radio alarm clock?"
    This was never about rioting. It was the mob flexing their muscles to gain control, and a diversion to distract the police while they went shopping.
    08-09-11 07:22 AM
    So many different news stories, read them all and then decide. Toronto star didn't even mention BBM. All they mentioned was social media.

I Google searched this and only Techcrunch is reporting BBM was behind it, found nothing about it on any other news site, I think the Apple fan boys have dropped to a new level...
    08-09-11 07:23 AM
    Actually BBC UK reported use of BBM last night.
    Twitter and Facebook were also used.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14442203
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 08-09-11 at 07:53 AM.
    08-09-11 07:40 AM
    What about all the BlackBerry's that are being used in like Africa and Libya and stuff to facilitate the sales of weapons?
    Cant wait to see what happens to apple when imessage goes live. For every good use of technology there are those who can use it in a malevolent way.
    john_v likes this.
    08-09-11 07:52 AM
    Cant wait to see what happens to apple when imessage goes live. For every good use of technology there are those who can use it in a malevolent way.
    This just sounds wrong. It seems like you can't wait for Apple to be hit with bad rep for iMessage being misused, while understanding that with it comes a high social price to pay for the people affected. I'd rather see NO more of these BS happening in the world than wanting any IM platform to be misused so I can diss on some company.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    08-09-11 07:59 AM
    This just sounds wrong. It seems like it's inevitable for Apple to be hit with bad rep for iMessage being misused, while understanding that with it comes a high social price to pay for the people affected. I'd rather see NO more of these BS happening in the world than wanting any IM platform to be misused so I can diss on some company.
    I hope you don't mind but I clarified your response to what the intent of my post was. See bold.
    08-09-11 08:06 AM
    The reasons the kids love BBM is that it's cheap, quick and confidential. Oh and it has the backing of JayZ, the hip hop mogul who is one of BlackBerry's biggest fans.

If only Kevin were a hip hop mogul, he'd get the attention he deserves.
    08-09-11 08:25 AM
    I Google searched this and only Techcrunch is reporting BBM was behind it, found nothing about it on any other news site, I think the Apple fan boys have dropped to a new level...
    ABC News reported it, which a Google News search plainly reveals. That's about as mainstream as you get.

08-09-11 08:43 AM
    Hate to spoil the fun, y'all....but some mom and pop shops are being destroyed. A family furniture store that stood for 150 years is gone.
    Small business owners are losing it all.
    Hate to be a Debbie Downer, I love to get silly sometimes too...but this is a bad situation, escalating.

DCAce likes this.
    08-09-11 09:29 AM
    Hackers today threatened that BlackBerry employees “will regret it” if the company cooperated with authorities investigating the London riots.

In an attack on the website of BlackBerry-maker Research in Motion, a group calling itself Team Poison wrote “Dear Rim; You Will _NOT_ assist the UK Police because if u do innocent members of the public who were at the wrong place at the wrong time and owned a blackberry will get charged for no reason at all”.

The group said that it was responding to a BlackBerry statement that said the company has “engaged with the authorities to assist in any way we can”.

The hack, which appeared briefly on blogs.blackberry.com, claimed that the Team Poison group had RIM employee details and was prepared to publish them online. It claimed “if u assist the police, we _WILL_ make this information public and pass it onto rioters…. do you really want a bunch of angry youths on your employees doorsteps? Think about it…. and don’t think that the police will protect your employees, the police can’t protect themselves let alone protect others”.
    London riots: BlackBerry workers threatened - Telegraph
    08-09-11 11:32 AM
    Say that to the Workers @ the Foxconn factory in China. They'll be happy you care for them, but sad that you won't by their product that they slave over for paltry wages. Would you like to play the ignorant hypocrite? or the complicit hypocrite, like most.

Look, the London riots were horrid, but don't blame the tools people use to cause strife. If there were only spoons available, a determined criminal, which they all are essentially now, would still find a way to maximize it's potential damage and perhaps do quite a bit too.
    Hypocrite? LOL. Did I say I agreed to the the working conditions? I'm not about to comment any further on this because then it will be a war on governments and I'm not about to turn this into that.

I am talking about people intentionally harming people and someone is more worried about their device company of choice than human life. If Apple stops making devices tomorrow I really wouldn't care. I never blamed BBs. I just said they happened to be used. I am not blaming BBs. I blame the people using them to organize this.
    08-09-11 11:37 AM
    I am not blaming BBs. I blame the people using them to organize this.
    Agreed. Let's hope they catch all of them.
    avt123 likes this.
    08-09-11 11:57 AM
    Agreed. Let's hope they catch all of them.
    I hope they do. I wish all the people being harmed by this good luck and hope they are able to stay safe.
    08-09-11 12:12 PM
    I think it's good if they use BlackBerry's at least they show good taste in something, and with any luck that little bit of good taste will be their downfall, and so they will feel bitter toward RIMM.
    Come on folks isn't there enough conflict in the world whatever platform you stand with talk peace.
    08-09-11 12:44 PM
    A dude from techradar was on the radio a couple of times today, saying the crowds were using BBM, and that they should consider shutting it down for a while, he also went on about the rioters not organising meet ups on FB or twitter because it was to open, and that the police really need to get a handle on BBM, and other IM messaging services, but he was clearly pointing the finger at BBM.
    08-09-11 01:15 PM
    One of the saddest parts of all this, is that these people and businesses will not be able to claim any of their losses from their insurance. Riots and civil unrest are almost universally excluded from domestic and business insurance policies.
    08-09-11 07:35 PM
    Thread cleaned and 43 posts removed. With such a level of thread disruption the two principal combatants could not avoid 3 days enforced cooling off.
    08-09-11 08:07 PM
    its very sad to see this happening in my country, but its even sadder to see the naive people saying BBM is the issue. one picture had one looter texting someone else on their iphone, so lets not make out like this is about BBM, if they took down BBM then people would text/msn/googlechat/whatsapp/pingchat. lets not blame tech when its the people comitting these acts that are the real issue.

all social media (fb, twitter, imessage, gchat, BBM) can be used for good or bad, personally im very happy that RIM are helping the police and also that google+ is being used by google for facial recognition of these rioters.
    08-09-11 08:38 PM
    Stupid people using high tech items is always a formula for trouble.

Attacking people not involved or causing them any problem, breaking into baby clothing stores, setting busses on fire (I don't think the busses did anything wrong) and in short
    being "massively" stupid is always concerning.

Sigh, when will man/woman kind grow up.

Tim
    08-09-11 11:00 PM
    This whole situation is just horrible and disgraceful. I dont blame the people that ae ashamed to be British because im disgrased to be in a world with such disgusting people. Truly sickened that people who work incredibly hard to make a living were looted from. I live in Canada but I am just speechless. My thoughts go out to all those affected by this terrible act by scum.
    08-09-11 11:55 PM
    It seems to me that although there were many methods of communicating utilized, the reason BBM was singled out is because its the only one they can't monitor...
    08-10-11 01:58 AM
    BBM is a fantastic tool its just a shame some people use it to arrange such pointless and terrible destruction
    RIM will cooperate with the police though to bring the people responsible to justice I hope.

RIM still have a massive market share and are still very popular in the consumer market contrary to what a lot of people say
    Last edited by Jono212; 08-10-11 at 04:38 PM.
    08-10-11 09:10 AM
    Once again... The topic is "Riots organised by BBM".

Do NOT discuss the reasons for rioting, riot control, whether the riots were justified, politics, or anything else which is not relevant to the topic of the thread.
    08-10-11 09:54 AM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD