Is there a way to lock my curve so a password has to be put in in order to use the phone? If so how? Thanks in advance.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-04-09 01:51 PM
    Is there a way to lock my curve so a password has to be put in in order to use the phone? If so how? Thanks in advance.

I think on your Curve you can go to options>security options and you'll see the password feature right there. Remember that if you set up a password, after a certain number of wrong entries you're phone is wiped. You can set it up for up to 10 wrong entries.
    05-04-09 02:24 PM
    Yeah. Mines set up for a password and set to 3 tries.

05-04-09 02:39 PM
    To set a password for when you lock your device:

Go to Options/Security Options/General Settings

Enable the password option and hit save

It will ask you to enter and confirm a password and now your device will require a password to unlock.

You can also set how many wrong entries is takes before the device wipes itself.
    05-04-09 04:53 PM
    Let me get this straight, if I have it set to 10 tries, and someone messes with it and can't get the password ten times in a row, the device wipes itself? That seems like a worse risk than someone potentially reading a personal email or text left on the BB.
    05-04-09 10:26 PM
    Depends on what you want the security for. How valuable do you consider your information, seriously?

05-04-09 10:28 PM
    Just back it up.
    05-04-09 10:29 PM
    What happens after its wiped? Does the person with the wiped berry get a brand new device? Or is the berry bricked?

05-04-09 11:53 PM
    I use a password, set to 6 tries. I would rather have my info wiped if my phone fell into the wrong hands. That's another reason its important to have a back up.

05-05-09 12:11 AM
    What happens after its wiped? Does the person with the wiped berry get a brand new device? Or is the berry bricked?

Nope doesn't mean anything bad happens to the device. It just means the device will go back to factory settings, and all of your personal info such as emails and texts will be erased....
    As for a password, I have mine set to 10 times because sometimes I misspell or whatever. I would put it on jst to be safe in case you lost your phone...
    Last edited by SimeonAS89; 05-05-09 at 02:30 AM.
    05-05-09 02:26 AM
    Does that mean all updated contact info is lost as well? The SIM card doesn't save anything beyond names and numbers. Losing dates, email addresses, and such could be crippling. I suppose if it fell into the wrong hands, I'd rather it be wiped anyway.. Still, it would be of high PO factor if it all got wiped because a curious teen cousin or snooping co-worker tried to guess the password ten times and caused it.
    05-05-09 06:18 AM
    yeah, just had to wipe mine. I inherited it from my wife who moved to another phone and when she handed it to me it was locked -- and she had no idea what the password was. 10 quick needle in a haystack log in attempts and I was good to go with a fresh set up. Nice feature, imo.
    05-05-09 12:00 PM
    So I was actually kind of curious about this myself. I mean I know that after however many wrong attempts on the password, the device gets wiped of all personal information, which is great if your BlackBerry was stolen for the information that was on It, but let me get this straight...if my BB is randomly stolen (or lost) than all someone is gotta do is input the wrong password however many times and then the phone is not only wiped but unlocked as well? That kind of defeats the purpose don't you think? Especially being that I have an App on my BB to track it if it ever gets lost. And if someone input the wrong password enough and the device got wiped than how am I suppose to track my device? Hmm...good question right? Idk, I think there's pro's and con's to this situation honestly. And to be really honest, I don't lock my device with a password for the fear of it being wiped (even tho I DO backup my phone regularly) because I wouldn't be able to track it if someone got ahold of it and wiped it.

05-06-09 09:23 AM
    Howdy Jleeblanch,

In your case, depending on which of the tracking apps you have installed on your BB, the app will still be there working like it is suppose to, but all your contacts and personal info will be lost. If your app alerts you to SIM swaps, it will still work, unless the person that finds/steals the phone deletes all apps or does a complete wipe of the device before installing a new OS. Unless your app can survive a complete device wipe (which deleted everything), a smart BB theif will have a new phone.

Also this is a good question for the maker of the APP that you have installed on your BB as well.

So I was actually kind of curious about this myself. I mean I know that after however many wrong attempts on the password, the device gets wiped of all personal information, which is great if your BlackBerry was stolen for the information that was on It, but let me get this straight...if my BB is randomly stolen (or lost) than all someone is gotta do is input the wrong password however many times and then the phone is not only wiped but unlocked as well? That kind of defeats the purpose don't you think? Especially being that I have an App on my BB to track it if it ever gets lost. And if someone input the wrong password enough and the device got wiped than how am I suppose to track my device? Hmm...good question right? Idk, I think there's pro's and con's to this situation honestly. And to be really honest, I don't lock my device with a password for the fear of it being wiped (even tho I DO backup my phone regularly) because I wouldn't be able to track it if someone got ahold of it and wiped it.
    05-06-09 12:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD