I have a blackberry 8330. I am wondering if there is a way to set a password to unlock the phone. What i mean is that if a text message or phone call is coming in you can't tell who is calling or texting unless you type in password?

Is it possible to do this, if so how do i do it?
    06-15-09 12:08 AM
    options/security options/general settings

You can set a password for the device there. Though I am not sure if that prevents caller id from displaying though.
    06-15-09 01:18 AM
    No it does not. Caller I'd still displays. I want phone to ring, then type password to see who is calling. Is that possible to configure?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-15-09 01:26 AM
    Deleted three posts. Either answer the OPs question without
    passing judgment or please move along.
    06-15-09 02:29 AM
    I have tried something similar but it doesn't work too well. The only thing you can do is to lock the device itself.
    There may another option somewhere, did you google it?
    06-15-09 08:36 AM
    Can anyone help anwer this question?
    06-23-09 01:45 AM
    Try Safebox. I have not used it but it gives you the ability to
    lock individual programs on the phone.

Again I am not sure it is what you are looking for but it has a
    free 7 day trial. Outside of this I'd suggest locking the phone
    and/or keeping it on your person because there is no way
    to accomplish what you want natively from the phone.
    06-23-09 01:59 AM
    Try Safebox. I have not used it but it gives you the ability to
    lock individual programs on the phone.

Again I am not sure it is what you are looking for but it has a
    free 7 day trial. Outside of this I'd suggest locking the phone
    and/or keeping it on your person because there is no way
    to accomplish what you want natively from the phone.

I checked out the app a while ago and I don't think its exactly what there looking for....

I don't know if thats a updated version or not from the one I tried..

but it seemed like safebox's point was so that you didn't need to put a device password up and just lock out a few things.. kind of like you know block the internet browser type thing on your kids blackberry or something..
    06-23-09 03:33 AM
    For texts, the lock functions that Jim W mentioned will stop people from seeing WHO texted, but the notification sound will still go off, so they will know that you got a text. I'm fairly certain it also shows the icon at the top on the lock screen.

For caller id, there is a way to prevent it from looking up the name in your address book. Use the locking feature mentioned, and turn on "content protection", and select "yes" for "include contacts". I think it still shows the number, but it won't lookup the name or picture you have stored.
    06-23-09 08:29 AM
    i think hes looking for a program like on on pocket pc's called EZ Secret SMS
    Last edited by lbroller; 06-23-09 at 12:17 PM.
    06-23-09 11:26 AM
    I"m guessing the threee deleted posts had something to do with the same thoughts that were going through my head, so while reserving judgement, maybe try changing her name in your phonebook, so that when she calls, it just shows up as "grandma" or "work". Other than that, I have no opinions to be shared.
    06-23-09 11:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD