I encountered a strange problem today with the lock key on the 9700 (the button on the top left of the phone).

When I press the "lock" key I am able to lock the keypad, however, when I press it again, I am unable to unlock it. When I place the BB in the holster and the pull it out, it unlocks itself.

I don't think it's a mechanical issue, because the "lock" key works just fine when pressed to lock the phone.

The problem first began a few hours after installing the most recent 9700 OS (.862 I believe). Can that be the cause of the problem?

Any solutions?
    08-22-10 12:13 PM
    Yes, RIM removed the lock buttons function on all devices I believe. You should be able to hold "A" to lock the keyboard and such. Then you have to press "*" then the call button to unlock it.
    08-22-10 12:38 PM
    What does that mean, that RIM removed the lock buttons on all devices? Up until a few hours ago, mine was working just fine...???
    08-22-10 12:49 PM
    The latest OS that you installed is what rcnathan was referring to.
    08-22-10 01:12 PM
    so, from now on, there is no more lock key?

How do I unlock my phone when the keypad gets locked? I tried pressing * and then the call button, as was mentioned, but that doesn't work.
    08-22-10 01:15 PM
    On mine I'm able to lock and unlock it with the lock key on the top. I have one of
    those new OS's too. You should be able to also unlock it with the lock key.
    08-22-10 01:22 PM
    That's my problem.

The key stopped working a few hours ago (maybe connected with the upgrade to the latest 9700 OS I installed today).

The lock key works to lock the phone, but it doesn't work to unlock the keypad...

Ideas?
    08-22-10 01:24 PM
    Alt+Enter to LOCK the phone.
    Alt+Enter to UNLOCK the phone.

With the NEW OS's, the Lock Key no longer locks. It simply puts the phone in Stand By.

L o r d R a j: Is Your Mute Key No Longer Functional?
    08-23-10 01:03 AM
    I tried the above, and it didn't work to take the phone out of standby mode... I am in the process of a software upgrade back to .862, and then I will try the long press of *, but I'm not optimistic...

Is there any write-up from RIM of there taking away the functionality of the lock key on the top of the phone?
    08-23-10 01:18 AM
    I tried the above, and it didn't work to take the phone out of standby mode... I am in the process of a software upgrade back to .862, and then I will try the long press of *, but I'm not optimistic...

Is there any write-up from RIM of there taking away the functionality of the lock key on the top of the phone?
    Alt+Enter is to LOCK the phone. Not to put it in Stand By or pull it out of Stand By.

For the New OS's - Stand By works only with * long press OR the Lock Key.
    to actually LOCK the phone, Alt+Enter works.

Of course you can't expect that to happen if you have put the phone in Stand By. Get the phone OUT of Stand By, by hitting the Lock Key or long press * and then Alt+Enter to actually LOCK/UNLOCK the phone.

The only reason why Alt+Enter might NOT lock the phone is IF Alt+Enter has been assigned to Quick Language Selection.
    Change that in the options:

- Go to Options (Spanner icon).
    - Language and Text Input.
    - Scroll to Input Language Selection Shortcut
    - Set it to either Shift-Space or None.
    Last edited by L o r d R a j; 08-23-10 at 01:29 AM.
    08-23-10 01:26 AM
    OK... I will try the long press. I am not trying to lock the phone, the issue is with standby mode. The lock key on the upper left puts the phone into standby, but I can't get it out afterward. As soon as I finish this OS upgrade i will try a long press of * to exit standby mode.

Why would RIM all of the sudden disable the lock key feature to exit standby? Seems kind of counter-intuitive...
    08-23-10 01:29 AM
    Intrigued..

Lock Key puts it in Stand By but won't get out of Stand By!?!...
    now that's new for me.
    Last edited by L o r d R a j; 08-23-10 at 01:40 AM.
    08-23-10 01:38 AM
    Right, that's my problem...
    08-23-10 01:40 AM
    OK... I will try the long press. I am not trying to lock the phone, the issue is with standby mode. The lock key on the upper left puts the phone into standby, but I can't get it out afterward. As soon as I finish this OS upgrade i will try a long press of * to exit standby mode.

Why would RIM all of the sudden disable the lock key feature to exit standby? Seems kind of counter-intuitive...
    This seems a little goofy; on my device the lock key puts it in and brings it out of standby. I note you're already in the process of reloading, so I'm going to pull up a chair and see what happens lol
    08-23-10 01:40 AM
    Up until yesterday, and for the last 6 months and multiple OS upgrades that lock key / standby mode worked fine... all of the sudden, it just stopped working only in one direction
    08-23-10 01:42 AM
    This seems a little goofy; on my device the lock key puts it in and brings it out of standby. I note you're already in the process of reloading, so I'm going to pull up a chair and see what happens lol
    *Pulls up a chair beside genomos
    08-23-10 01:43 AM
    OK... here's the latest...

I re-installed OS .862, the lock key still puts the phone into standby mode, but it won't take it out. Long pressing the * key also puts the phone into standby mode, but long pressing the * key won't take it out.

It can't be a hardware issue, because the keys are working - just only half the time. I have tried going back to the last OS (.743) and well as re-installing .862, and I am now having the problem on both...

HELP!
    08-23-10 01:46 AM
    Up until yesterday, and for the last 6 months and multiple OS upgrades that lock key / standby mode worked fine... all of the sudden, it just stopped working only in one direction
    I don't normally take a side in the multiple battery pulls after an OS load, but in this case you just might want to do it once or twice as soon as apploader says complete.
    08-23-10 01:46 AM
    Doing battery pulls now... Did them yesterday and they didn't help, but maybe today is a new day...
    08-23-10 01:47 AM
    OK... here's the latest...

I re-installed OS .862, the lock key still puts the phone into standby mode, but it won't take it out. Long pressing the * key also puts the phone into standby mode, but long pressing the * key won't take it out.

It can't be a hardware issue, because the keys are working - just only half the time. I have tried going back to the last OS (.743) and well as re-installing .862, and I am now having the problem on both...

HELP!
    Are you doing a complete wipe? (file systerm, app/personal data)
    Was trying it out on my Onyx. Long press * puts my Blackberry into Stand By, but Long press * won't EXIT Stand By (??!!)

Lock Key on the other hand seems to be working fine for Stand By and Exit Stand By.
    I had never heard of using the * key, so it doesn't both me that it doesn't work to take it out of standby. But, my old faithful lock key which stopped working to take my BB out of standby mode is driving me crazy!
    08-23-10 01:49 AM
    I can't back that up, Storm2 user now and former 8130 user - OS is too old lol
    08-23-10 01:50 AM
    zevinzion,

I would suggest a complete wipe. Seems like something in the settings is messed up. (just a thought).

You wouldn't have had installed any application (3rd party) for Stand By or Lock - would you?
    08-23-10 01:50 AM
    How does one do a complete wipe? Can you walk me through the process?

As for Third Party apps, the only app I installed yesterday was Berryreader - but nothing relating to locking the phone.

Could Quicklaunch cause issues?
    08-23-10 01:51 AM
116 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD