Why is there a little bump thing on the 5/D button? And for those who I'm sure are gonna say "search is your friend" my reply is, I really don't feel like using search. So what?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-06-10 07:57 AM
    So that you can find the center of the number keypad.

And um .... duh! If you look on other telephone keypads, it's there too.
    02-06-10 08:43 AM
    If you check out the F and J keys on a full sized keyboard, or the 5 key on the number pad, they all have a raised feature. Those are the home keys for touch typing.
    02-06-10 09:18 AM
    Thanks for the replys...

02-06-10 09:23 AM
    It helps a lot when you're trying to find numbers/type in the dark. :-)
    02-06-10 11:08 AM
    I think it has more to do with blind people.
    02-06-10 12:10 PM
    I was going to say for blind people, but really, is a blind person going to have much use with a full qwerty keyboard? I don't wanna sound mean, but I just don't think it's very practical.
    02-06-10 01:13 PM
    There's a "bump" here on the keyboard of my PC also. I tried to Google the answer as to why this is done, but couldn't find anything.
    02-06-10 02:14 PM
    My old typing teacher told me its there from typewriter days so you could reposition your hands without looking down when words per minute were a factor in how you were hired....
    02-06-10 02:23 PM
    I was told in my high school typing class that on a pc keyboard the bump on the f and j help you position your index fingers for typing without having to look at the keyboard. We had a typing class on huge ibm typewriters back in the 90s

Haha. Looks like Tony and I typed the same thing at the same identical time.
    Last edited by trektagger; 02-06-10 at 02:27 PM.
    02-06-10 02:23 PM
    Why is there a little bump thing on the 5/D button? And for those who I'm sure are gonna say "search is your friend" my reply is, I really don't feel like using search. So what?

you dont even have to search for this answer. if you spent 5 mins thinking about it, chances are you couldve figured it out. oh and lose the attitude.
    02-06-10 06:45 PM
    Strange, 2nd post today I've seen asking this exact question. A guy named hivewax asked it in the 9700 forum.

02-06-10 07:51 PM
    They are stupid finders!
    02-06-10 08:10 PM
    Several crude attempts at humor removed.

OP has his answer. Thread closed.
    02-06-10 09:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD