All,

I am a tMobile customer with two 8320's. I have an old D-Link wireless router and would like to upgrade to a new wireless router. I am considering either one of the t-Mobile (D-Link or Linksys) routers for sale; both the same price ($29.99).

Does anyone have a recommendation as to which is better? Or do you recommend a completely different router?

Thanks,

David
    07-19-08 10:26 PM
    I have a D-Link. I've tried almost all the other ones and nothing had as strong of a signal as the D-Link for me.
    07-19-08 11:23 PM
    Linksys. I have had 2 D-links fail on me. The WRT54G has been pretty much flawless so far. 3 years I running I think.

Now watch it die now that I've bragged on it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-19-08 11:57 PM
    Linksys. I have had 2 D-links fail on me. The WRT54G has been pretty much flawless so far. 3 years I running I think.

Now watch it die now that I've bragged on it.

The Linksys routers are very reliable, I would surely recommend it. BostLabs you need to touch wood mate....lol.

07-20-08 12:03 AM
    Linksys is a hit or miss iin terms of quality; plagued by multiple hardware revisions and few firmware updates. D-link does better with its more expensive routers with frequent firmware updates, but it's also a crapshoot with the cheaper ones. Save your money and invest in a good qaulity router to avoid headaches in the future. With routers, the old saying still holds true: you get what you pay for.

07-20-08 12:08 AM
    I have had 3 linksys routers in the last 15 years maybe a little less. The 3rd one is the one I am currently using (about 1.5 year old). So the other 2 lasted me almost 7 years each. I had no problems at all with them until the end. They basically kept getting stuck when the IPs refresh took place so that the router and PCs had to be rebooted to refresh the IPS IP and LAN IPs so the internet and LAN could be accessed again. I should also mention they were the more expensive ones. Generally when it comes to PCs I don't go for bargain hardware.

Last edited by Stoneryno; 07-20-08 at 12:45 AM.
    07-20-08 12:41 AM
    I am an IT Engineer at a company with over 150+ computers. I am the only IT person. We have several Linksys devices throughout our Dealership. Linksys is all I have used, except for some Cisco stuff, but its expensive.
    07-20-08 12:45 AM
    I have had a WRT54GS running DD-WRT firmware for 4 or 5 years, and couldn't be happier.

DD-WRT allows you to adjust the transmit power of the radio (along with a host of other great features).

That, in combination with a high gain antenna, and I'm able to get signal to my router for nearly a block in any direction.

The 54GS is a solid choice.
    07-20-08 03:27 AM
    For my money, the geeks at Cisco are the best of the best.

Linksys is a Cisco product.

D-Link is the global leader in revenue and market share for wireless and ethernet networking for both consumer and SOHO users. Founded in 1986, D-Link is dedicated to making networking easy and affordable for its customers, offering innovative, award-winning products that seamlessly integrate with a variety of devices and applications.
    D-Link is a much smaller company trying to compete with the big dog.
    07-20-08 10:43 AM
    Linksys works great.
    07-20-08 10:48 AM
    Thanks to everyone who replied to my post.

After spending way too much time researching the many different WiFi routers, I concluded that the D-Link DIR-655 Extreme N was probably the best router vs price for what I was looking for. However, I still had the $29.00 Linksys WRT54G-TM as a capable router for one heck of a low price. It was too hard to pass up cheap. So, the Linksys won the decision in the �bang for buck�, but certainly not the most capable.

Thanks again,

David
    07-22-08 04:48 PM
    We were trying to catch our cats the other day to make them outside cats instead of inside cats due to the fact that they were destroying the house but by bit. Any way the bigest and fatest decided he wanted to make us work for it and he jumped on top of my desk headed to go behind my monitor. I caught him but after he landed on my linksys. CRASH!
    I took the cat outside and came back to survey the damage. It was best up some but reset ok and working well. Looks like I almost jinxed myself. I made sure to touch wood after that.

07-22-08 05:06 PM
    I use the new Linsys/ Cisco router that T-Mobile sells for 49.99 I have had it only about a week, but so far I like it.
    07-22-08 07:12 PM
    All,

My router arrived last week and I installed it Saturday. The installation went well and both Blackberry Curve 8320's were indicating UMA and working quite well all over my home (3-story, 4,500 sqft.)

Except there is a catch.....

First the Linksys router that was sent to me from tMobile was a refurbished unit....used everything. It worked and it was only $29.99+shipping. Along with the equipment came a rebate form for $30.00. So, if Linksys pays up, I got the used router for free.

Should I complain about this. Ya, I think so. Nowhere on the website does it say that I am getting a used router. Quite frankly, this is just bad business despite the rebate.

David
    07-29-08 01:29 PM
    Linksys hands down!

*EDIT* : dang.... looks like you already chose and ordered and installed... but glad you are up and running! Too bad they sent a used one, but can't complain that it is free! How do you know it was used? I got a Linksys from TMo at one point for free and it was new.
    07-29-08 03:19 PM
    All the tell-tale signs.....

- It was shipped from the refurbishment facility
    - No plastic shrink wrap on box
    - Dust all over the router and power supply
    - No plastic bags around the equipment in the box
    - Tape on the router box
    - Original documentation missing just tMobile stuff
    - etc.....

On the other hand, maybe they are shipped to tMobile and converted to WRT-54G-TM units and this is what they look like after the conversion....but I really doubt it.

Anybody have any insight?

David
    07-30-08 06:46 AM
    A referb is not that bad especially if it is free and works 100%. Sometimes they are sent back because the original owner didn't want the service or because they got the new @home router and traided the uma router in. Just my 2 thoughts.

07-30-08 10:18 AM
    All the tell-tale signs.....

- It was shipped from the refurbishment facility
    - No plastic shrink wrap on box
    - Dust all over the router and power supply
    - No plastic bags around the equipment in the box
    - Tape on the router box
    - Original documentation missing just tMobile stuff
    - etc.....

On the other hand, maybe they are shipped to tMobile and converted to WRT-54G-TM units and this is what they look like after the conversion....but I really doubt it.

Anybody have any insight?

David
    Definitely sounds like a refurb!!

And, no, the WRT54GTM routers are not converted in-house... the are mass produced like a standard router!

You got a refurb, but as long as it works... then I guess that is all that matters. I would consider calling and complaining anyhow... that is dumb they sent you a used one!
    07-30-08 10:21 AM
    linksys is imo the best in the industry..
    07-30-08 10:23 AM
    Personally I think Linksys is the best, since its part of Cisco.
    07-30-08 08:24 PM
    i know this has already been answered cuz theres 2 pages of posts for this thread, but i'll answer it again. d-link isn't even a real option. LINKSYS is the way to go. when it comes to routers LINKSYS owns the market with almost no competition. when it comes to enterprise and corporate stuff, of course cisco is the winner, but guess what, LINKSYS is a part of cisco.

plus, linksys routers are pretty dam cheap, reliable and perform well. usually you'd think you gotta pay a lot for the good stuff, but not with LINKSYS. i've always used the wrt54g and wrt54gs and they work dam good. i have just over 10 devices using wired/wireless internet in my house at any given time. eventually i'll get into the wireless N market and we'll see how that goes.
    07-31-08 01:43 AM
    Hi. I got my Linksys last month from tmo and it looked new to me - sealed and all. How did you know yours was used?
    07-31-08 10:48 PM
    Netgear exists. I work with an ebay type business here in my country called Bienvenidos a MercadoLibre They are all over Latin America. Last year we sold more than 1000 Routers. Models were Netgear WGR614, WGT624 and WPN824 being the last one a MIMO router. I have used them all and I have also used Dlink and Linksys. I am no IT but after 1000 routers I can tell you that Linksys is just a name and a very expensive one. I have been using a WPN824 for the past year at my apt. and could not be happier.
    07-31-08 11:22 PM
    I only buy Linksys. I've purchased at least ten for business or personal use. Every single one is still working today.

*knock on wood*

07-31-08 11:35 PM
    I use a Belking54g wireless router, its terrible at best. Needs reset every few days or it starts dropping connections to my wireless and wired pc's. Also if I run any p2p network file sharing this brings my router to a crawl until it is reset. I aquired it for free though

I miss my linksys.

08-01-08 07:47 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD