You kind of implied it when you isolated the Key brand, and it's "issues". We're just saying that with the noise of all the other devices - BlackBerry or otherwise - those get lost.

Right now, it's Motorola's peeling folding screen, and the Galaxy Z Flip's easily scratchable screen.
    No, I didn't imply anything. I talked about, in the first post, moving on from the KEY2 because it is the current/most recent line of phones. I only talked about KEY2 issues in response to someone else.

Unfortunately, this thread is going the way of almost every other thread here on CB. The CB Squad jumps in, hyper focuses on minutiae, and derails any chance at an interesting discussion. Most threads end up at the same place.
    02-19-20 09:36 AM
    Nothing makes it stand out. Who said it did?
    "Take a clean break from the tarnished KEY brand"
    02-19-20 09:39 AM
    "Take a clean break from the tarnished KEY brand"
    Is that in any way comparing to the relative issues with other brands? Nope, just talking about KEY because it is the current phone line.
    02-19-20 09:42 AM
    Is that in any way comparing to the relative issues with other brands? Nope, just talking about KEY because it is the current phone line.
    In any event, you have now cleared up the confusion.
    02-19-20 09:44 AM
    Omg. That's the best feature of the key series - sensor on spacebar. Works flawlessly.
    No, absolutely not.

The execution of it on the KEY2 has proven to be a failure. It should have been side mounted, period.

How can you honestly deny this?

As we can obviously see from all the threads since launch, not every KEY2 spacebar is firm as it should be, and several users have reported issues with theirs (whether software or hardware related).

Bottom line: They're not all as reliable as yours (which seems to have been assembled with the utmost care) or the Red ones which account for a very small amount of KEY2 devices worldwide and which came too late.
    02-19-20 10:26 AM
    No, absolutely not.

The execution of it on the KEY2 has proven to be a failure. It should have been side mounted, period.

How can you honestly deny this?

As we can obviously see from all the threads since launch, not every KEY2 spacebar is firm as it should be, and several users have reported issues with theirs (whether software or hardware related).

Bottom line: They're not all as reliable as yours (which seems to have been assembled with the utmost care) or the Red ones which account for a very small amount of KEY2 devices worldwide and which came too late.
    Well, to be honest, most of those threads are filled with posts from you.

Sure there may have been some early QC issues, but I hesitate to make a grand statement addressing the spacebar based on limited anecdotal evidence.
    02-19-20 10:35 AM
    A PRIV or Passport reboot would be ideal.
    I think Priv would be the easiest to do because you can pull from the existing inventory of slab screens. One of the biggest turn-offs from a manufacturer standpoint is having one-off screen sizes.

I think a well-built slider could be mildly successful but not if it's branded "Blackberry."
    02-19-20 10:40 AM
    I think Priv would be the easiest to do because you can pull from the existing inventory of slab screens. One of the biggest issues is having one-off screen sizes.
    I actually agree with this. But I have a hard time seeing the PRIV name reused.
    02-19-20 10:46 AM
    It didn't take long for this thread to lose focus, a CB staple I guess. Classic/Bold 9900/Curve, liked the keyboards equally on each phone. I found I could actually type faster on a 9320.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-20 10:48 AM
    I think Priv would be the easiest to do because you can pull from the existing inventory of slab screens. One of the biggest issues is having one-off screen sizes.
    But you'd have a lot of engineering in the sliding mechanism, plus the liability of extra moving parts.

I too do not think there will be a next BlackBerry... unless they change their name or the company gets broken up and the name goes on the market.

But the IP will be available for PKB... maybe a keyboard by BlackBerry. In which case I see middle of the road - KEY Series. But with TCL sales, and the odds that someone could do something better than the KEY2.... I don't see it any time soon.
    02-19-20 10:52 AM
    I actually agree with this. But I have a hard time seeing the PRIV name reused.
    That name was a disaster... along with the price tag. $700 launch price, to $300 firesale price.

Sometimes a good code name could be a good product name too. I had an advertising vision in my head pre-launch... a tourist in a button down shirt, wearing shades, is getting rowed down the Grand Canal with his hottie. Suddenly you hear a phone ring. He flips his shades up, pulls what looks like a normal slab phone out of his shirt pocket, and answers.

"Yes sir. Got it. I'll inform them right now."

Then, he ends the call, slides out his phone's keyboard, and hammers out a business related group message on the BB Hub, closes the slider, puts the phone back in his pocket, and smiles at his hottie.

As the ad fades, you see the words come onto the screen.

"When in Venice,
    Speak Venice.

BlackBerry."

Instead, we get "Priv." Sigh...
    02-19-20 11:00 AM
    How about a Rainbow 2 in all skittles colors?
    JeepBB and Jeremy Hawke like this.
    02-19-20 11:30 AM
    I want a legacy form factor: small, 2.5 inch LCD screen with a trackpad and cursor and listed to stock BB10 apps.

I don't expect it, but that's what I want.

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    02-19-20 11:49 AM
    Omg. That's the best feature of the key series - sensor on spacebar. Works flawlessly.
    I think you forget to add a smiley at the end. ;-)

Posted via my Awesome passport
    02-19-20 11:52 AM

I'm always smiling.
    falbo and Summer_Moon like this.
    02-19-20 11:56 AM
    I think whatever phone comes out next will have to be a slab it will have to be waterproof so it may well lose the earphone jack as long as we still get to the SD card.
    And it will have to be high end so it be competing with the likes of the Samsung Galaxy S11 and the iPhone 11 XS.
    cameras and audio would have to be way better than they are now and yes you will be talking better than 8GB of RAM and storage of 256 GB or better. and I would expect the cost to be a roundabout $1,200 :-)
    Last edited by nevilleadaniels; 02-19-20 at 12:37 PM.
    02-19-20 12:14 PM

Or the /S that everyone also laughs at me about
    02-19-20 12:29 PM
    Well, to be honest, most of those threads are filled with posts from you.

Sure there may have been some early QC issues, but I hesitate to make a grand statement addressing the spacebar based on limited anecdotal evidence.
    Let's not mix everything up.

I may have been vocal about it especially the wobbliness part, but I was talking more about the issues of spaces not being inserted each and every time, of which quite a few people have posted about. Enough to kind of make it a concern about opting for that device as opposed to the LE.

What's next? you believe those posts of mine are why people refrained from buying a KEY2?
    02-19-20 12:35 PM
    I think whatever phone comes out next will have to be a slab it will have to be waterproof so it may well lose the earphone jack as long as we still get to the SD card.
    And it will have to be high end so it be competing with the likes of the Samsung Galaxy S11 and the iPhone 11 XS.
    cameras and audio would have to be way better than they are now and yes you will be talking better than 8GB of RAM and storage of 256 GB or better. and I would expect the cost to be a roundabout $1,200
    So take a Galaxy S20, add $250, and call it a day?
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-19-20 12:36 PM
    So take a Galaxy S20, add $250, and call it a day?
    Something like that but throwing a clip-in keyboard
    02-19-20 12:39 PM
    Something like that but throwing a clip-in keyboard
    So what's the value-add for the extra $250?

Also, if you're just going to use clip-on junk, why not just get one for an S20 instead?
    Last edited by conite; 02-19-20 at 01:10 PM.
    02-19-20 12:54 PM
    So what's the value-add for the extra $250?

Also, if you're just going to use clip-on junk, why not just get one for an S20 instead?
    Accessory keyboards for tablets/iPads can also be called "clip-on", so no they don't have to be junky. I don't know why you have that idea stuck in your head, especially since you haven't tried a Typo gen 1 with an iPhone SE or the S8/+ keyboard cover.
    02-19-20 01:16 PM
    Accessory keyboards for tablets/iPads can also be called "clip-on", so no they don't have to be junky. I don't know why you have that idea stuck in your head, especially since you haven't tried a Typo gen 1 with an iPhone SE or the S8/+ keyboard cover.
    It's immaterial to the discussion here though. I was asking why pay a $250 premium on a S20? What does BlackBerry bring to the slab table?

A BlackBerry-branded clip-on keyboard would make far more sense for a S20 than some kind of low-volume proprietary device.
    02-19-20 01:17 PM
    Regardless of who licenses BlackBerry tech and brand, what line do you think the next BlackBerry phone should come from? KEY, PRIV, Bold, Curve, etc? Or something new?

My first thought is Bold. Take a clean break from the tarnished KEY brand and go with the, arguably, most widely known BlackBerry device brand.

Let's not turn this into a thread about whether a new device will come or not. For the sake of discussion, assume one is.

Look at the numbers... Which model was arguably the last profitable success for BB? Which model was re-introduced 3 years after original release? Why would designs that failed first time around do any better second time around? ?? Revisiting a PROVEN design seems a "no brainer"... Imo. Which might be why BB never has? Lol.

"Think different. Go Bold."
    02-19-20 10:08 PM
    Let's not mix everything up.

I may have been vocal about it especially the wobbliness part, but I was talking more about the issues of spaces not being inserted each and every time, of which quite a few people have posted about. Enough to kind of make it a concern about opting for that device as opposed to the LE.

What's next? you believe those posts of mine are why people refrained from buying a KEY2?
    But the fingerprint sensor worked ?
    02-19-20 10:25 PM
183 1234 ...