Regardless of who licenses BlackBerry tech and brand, what line do you think the next BlackBerry phone should come from? KEY, PRIV, Bold, Curve, etc? Or something new?

My first thought is Bold. Take a clean break from the tarnished KEY brand and go with the, arguably, most widely known BlackBerry device brand.

Let's not turn this into a thread about whether a new device will come or not. For the sake of discussion, assume one is.
    02-18-20 06:27 PM
    I guess I'll start by partially ignoring the rules of the thread.

If we ever see a BlackBerry keyboard again, I doubt it will be part of a brand licencing agreement. I think it would be keyboard licencing only.

I would imagine something like Nokia 7.3K, or Samsung K70 - not that I think there would be any likely takers anyway.
    Last edited by conite; 02-18-20 at 06:58 PM.
    02-18-20 06:48 PM
    Are we assuming PKB? Then yes, I'd agree Bold.
    02-18-20 06:48 PM
    It would likely be a reimagination of the brand. No use making something that appeals to an insignificant number of loyal users.
    ppeters914 and BBHermes like this.
    02-18-20 06:53 PM
    Are we assuming PKB? Then yes, I'd agree Bold.
    No, just assuming some device.
    02-18-20 07:45 PM
    I guess I'll start by partially ignoring the rules of the thread.

If we ever see a BlackBerry keyboard again, I doubt it will be part of a brand licencing agreement. I think it would be keyboard licencing only.

I would imagine something like Nokia 7.3K, or Samsung K70 - not that I think there would be any likely takers anyway.
    You are the reason for the rules, lol.
    Sigewif likes this.
    02-18-20 07:46 PM
    I'll take any keyboard device, whether the keyboard is licensed from BB or not.

That said, a slider might be my first choice, with a Classic-like phone second.
    02-18-20 09:46 PM
    I am particularly fond of the Classic BUT I hardly believe the Key line of devices tarnished BlackBerry. My Black Edition KeyOne is a damn fine smartphone. I would have upgraded to a Key4 had they continued. If anyone does pick up the torch it has to be supported top notch. Pixel Key or Galaxy Key.
    Grungni likes this.
    02-19-20 12:09 AM
    Given what happens to weak failed brands - more likely we see Blackberry on a cheap TV next in the reduced area.
    John Albert likes this.
    02-19-20 01:12 AM
    I'm with the boon here and would like a Priv. Or a passport icon reborn.

Posted via my Awesome passport
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    02-19-20 02:11 AM
    I like the Priv form factor, but still! I don't believe any device is coming at all.

The last three guys are dead. No one is gonna join that suicidal party.
    02-19-20 02:32 AM
    That's not the rules of the thread! ;-)

Posted via my Awesome passport
    02-19-20 02:42 AM
    A PRIV or Passport reboot would be ideal.
    02-19-20 05:08 AM
    The KEY phones definitely did not tarnish the brand any further than it already was in 2016 in the eye of the general consumer.
    Sigewif likes this.
    02-19-20 07:17 AM
    The KEY phones definitely did not tarnish the brand any further than it already was in 2016 in the eye of the general consumer.
    You are talking about the BlackBerry brand and may be right. I was talking about the KEY brand, which has certainly had some issues.
    02-19-20 08:38 AM
    You are talking about the BlackBerry brand and may be right. I was talking about the KEY brand, which has certainly had some issues.
    In what way?

In more ways than the DTEKs? Clicky, overheating Priv? Screen-lift, no network, double-typing Passports? Double-typing Q10s, rebooting Z10s?
    diggs007 likes this.
    02-19-20 08:53 AM
    Regardless of who licenses BlackBerry tech and brand, what line do you think the next BlackBerry phone should come from? KEY, PRIV, Bold, Curve, etc? Or something new?

My first thought is Bold. Take a clean break from the tarnished KEY brand and go with the, arguably, most widely known BlackBerry device brand.

Let's not turn this into a thread about whether a new device will come or not. For the sake of discussion, assume one is.
    I want a Unicorn 2 but that’s me
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-19-20 08:57 AM
    In what way?

In more ways than the DTEKs? Clicky, overheating Priv? Screen-lift, no network, double-typing Passports? Double-typing Q10s, rebooting Z10s?
    Well, the two obvious things that come to mind are the KEYone screens falling out and the KEY2 line being the torch holder when BlackBerry Mobile gave up the ghost.

Are you suggesting there haven't been problems with the KEY line? I don't even understand why you are bringing up DTEK, PRIV, etc. It is possible that multiple BlackBerry lines have a bad rep, no?
    02-19-20 09:08 AM
    Well, the two obvious things that come to mind are the KEYone screens falling out and the KEY2 line being the torch holder when BlackBerry Mobile gave up the ghost.

Are you suggesting there haven't been problems with the KEY line? I don't even understand why you are bringing up DTEK, PRIV, etc. It is possible that multiple BlackBerry lines have a bad rep, no?
    I don't think the KEY series was any different from any previous BlackBerry-branded device in regards to quality. As a matter of fact, they are probably the devices I've had the least issues with in 13 years.
    02-19-20 09:14 AM

Sure, KEY phones have had issues.

Also almost every single phone out there has issues as well.
    Summer_Moon and neoberry99 like this.
    02-19-20 09:14 AM

Pretty much every line with the BlackBerry name had issues. Let's take it back to the Storm 1.

The point was, what makes the Key line stand out any differently?

At least it didn't have exploding batteries.
    02-19-20 09:17 AM
    I don't think the KEY series was any different from any previous BlackBerry-branded device in regards to quality. As a matter of fact, they are probably the devices I've had the least issues with in 13 years.
    If the fingerprint sensor of the KEY2 was placed on the side or on the back of the phone as opposed to on the spacebar, then I'd agree that its keyboard is as reliable as any other BB device.
    02-19-20 09:17 AM
    Pretty much every line with the BlackBerry name had issues. Let's take it back to the Storm 1.

The point was, what makes the Key line stand out any differently?

At least it didn't have exploding batteries.
    Nothing makes it stand out. Who said it did?
    02-19-20 09:22 AM
    Nothing makes it stand out. Who said it did?
    You kind of implied it when you isolated the Key brand, and it's "issues". We're just saying that with the noise of all the other devices - BlackBerry or otherwise - those get lost.

Right now, it's Motorola's peeling folding screen, and the Galaxy Z Flip's easily scratchable screen.
    Summer_Moon likes this.
    02-19-20 09:29 AM
    If the fingerprint sensor of the KEY2 was placed on the side or on the back of the phone as opposed to on the spacebar, then I'd agree that its keyboard is as reliable as any other BB device.
    Omg. That's the best feature of the key series - sensor on spacebar. Works flawlessly.
    Grungni and rthonpm like this.
    02-19-20 09:30 AM
183 123 ...