I just downloaded this app but when I log in it tells me the service is temporarily unavailable. I'm running it on 8900 and 4.6.1.114. I deleted the BB maps on mine, is that a necessary app to run Life in Pocket?
    07-22-09 02:50 PM
    I've not used this app but am considering trying it.
    Perhaps it's one that requires resetting permissions to allow it for GPS?
    I dunno, but just in case:
    Options>Advanced Options>Applications>scroll down & highlight LifeInPocket> hit BB menu key> then Edit Permissions>set to Allow.
    07-23-09 08:36 AM
    Does this app happen to have a turn by turn feature where it shows the map instead of just the arrows? I'm hoping it does cuz everything bout this app has been perfect except that and I could just not be seeing where to enable that feature
    07-24-09 01:54 AM
    I just downloaded this app but when I log in it tells me the service is temporarily unavailable. I'm running it on 8900 and 4.6.1.114. I deleted the BB maps on mine, is that a necessary app to run Life in Pocket?
    07-24-09 02:02 AM
    life in pocket from what ive used so far only shows arrows
    07-24-09 08:25 AM
    I like the program except for that. Do u think they'll release a newer version with maps? Does anyone know of a free gps system that works as good or better?
    07-24-09 09:48 AM
    I like the program except for that. Do u think they'll release a newer version with maps? Does anyone know of a free gps system that works as good or better?
    Google Maps on your mobile phone
    07-24-09 09:54 AM
    Google maps is slow. Can it do turn by turn though?
    07-24-09 10:21 AM
    Is there a way for it to show you a list of directions after it plans your route? Like I want to see all the steps then go back and have the arrows take me turn by turn
    07-24-09 02:40 PM
    Select any address (your new address entry, address books, planed trip sync from web, local search results, etc.), then select "Direction to there", it will show you the direction. After looking at the direction select "Take me there" it will start navigation.

At same list, you may realize that you can see map, traffic, do local search etc. using that address. It's very handy.
    Awesome thanks! Is there a way to search for a street without entering a contact?
    07-24-09 06:18 PM
    Google maps is slow. Can it do turn by turn though?
    Yes, it will do turn by turn. No audio with it. (Did you watch the demo video at the link I posted earlier?)
    07-24-09 06:21 PM
    After allowing your permissions did you still have the "service is temporarily unavailable" issue? I had that problem as well and allowing all of the permissions unfortunately hasn't solved the problem. It's frustrating because I've hear such good things about the application.
    07-25-09 11:35 AM
    Driving while looking at Google map turn by turn? Isn't it dangerous?
    Well, yeah. But she didn't think google maps does turn by turn, and it does (again, without audio). How/where the driver handles viewing it is their call. But yes, reading a map on a phone while driving is not the best judgment.
    07-25-09 03:26 PM
    Are you a lawyer? Sounds like a disclaimer.
    Nope, not a lawyer. But I've slept in a Holiday Inn Express.
    07-25-09 07:33 PM
    alright ive been using this around town just for ****s and giggles and it doesnt have all the streets in and will get me lost quite often. i only like in a town of about 25000 so maybe its because my town isnt big enough but alot of times itll take me wayyyyy outta the way or get me lost and in the wrong place entirely. sometimes it will tell me im on a certain street when im definitely not on that street. idc bout my town but is it accurate in larger towns because i want to be able to navigate in these towns and not get lost like in my own
    07-27-09 10:56 PM
    not to continue to *****, but...

is there a way to recieve a call or text and still continue the navigation? it always seems to interrupt my navigation and i have to refind what i was looking for then reroute it and it takes forever. is there a setting or something im missing?
    07-28-09 12:42 AM
    You don't need BB map.

Un-install then re-install and make sure you allow all permissions that's what I do when I have problem with apps.

You shouls have not problem if it's your personal device. If it's your company's device, you will need to ask your company to change the "IT Policy" they put in your BB.
    Can you explain what "IT Policy" my company might need to change to allow LifeinPocket to run? I have added other applications (including Google Maps) and there have been no issues at all with any other extra applications.
    07-28-09 09:42 AM
    Have the people that use this program for navigation (rather than just POIs or other info) ever actually used a decent car GPS nav. system? I have a Magellan GPS with TTS and it is phenominal compared to the nav capabilities of this app. I tested a route and it was driving me crazy with how slow it spoke. It had at least 1-2 seconds between every word. With no map, if you are in an area that has several turns close together it is difficult to tell just exactly where it intending you to turn. Also, it must have said "continue" when I was driving straight down the road 15 times and drove me nuts.

My Magellan is 10x faster, speaks naturally, tells me the name of the road I should be turning on (tones at 1 mile away, then again just before the turn), guides through complex interchanges, has adjustable volume (LIP was too loud for my taste), and its really not that hard to find the updated maps and POIs to load on an SD card without having to pay the $80 Magellan wants for them.

Just wondering. I deleted it after using the Nav option once.
    07-28-09 09:43 AM
    Does that make it any less annoying? Even after the speech issue, it still won't compare to a real GPS unit for turn by turn navigation. I guess if you don't have (or want to purchase) one, this will be better than nothing.
    07-28-09 11:38 AM
    I have a Magellan too but after one year the map is outdated and the navigation is not as accurate as LifeInPocket. They want big money to update map and POI data.

Most importantly, it cannot offer real time info such as cheap gas finder, real POIs, reviews, ratings and navigation powered location msg.

I will put my Magellan for sale at Craigslist, if you are interested in buying this 15 months old baby for $50, please contact me! I paid $180 for it.
    See, the difference is, I know how to get my updated maps and POIs for free. As for stuff like cheap gas, I'm not the type to search really hard to save a few pennies a gallon. I won't purposely go to the most expensive station, but I'm also not going to drive out of my way to save $1-2 on a tank of fuel.

I guess I'm also not picky enough about eating to feel like I need to look up a specific type of resturant and read reviews to decide where I want to eat. Maybe for some people all these items add up and outwiegh the performance and mapping limitations.

On a side note, I'm not sure where LIP gets their maps from, but those map sets are still only as up to date as whatever resource they are pulling from. For example, Google maps still doesn't show the road my co-worker lives on 2 years after he moved in (new neighborhood at that time). Mapquest does show that same road. Again, just an example that the map is only as good as whoever provided it.
    07-30-09 03:28 PM
    I used my over two year old Tomtom unit with 2 year old maps on a recent trip to Europe. It worked very well particularly in areas where data (for my 8830) was not available. I guess Europe's mapping and roads don't change that often (g). Larger screen, good verbal instructions in a timely fashion including when we screwed up - it was fast at recalculating the route.

The tomtom with the BB can dial numbers. But, yes, a separate product to carry around or drag to Europe and another product to keep charged.
    07-30-09 09:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD