These are some of the situations I found myself in B.B. (before Blackberry). Can anybody relate?

I used a watch to tell time. I used an iPod to play music. I wrote down appointments on my hand in pen. I couldn�t wait to get home at the end of a work day to check my email. Instead of using text, I forgot things at the store and had to go back. I used Quicken, Microsoft Money or Mint to track my spending and bill paying. I took pictures with my camera (if I had it with me, which was a rarity). I wished for a camcorder that never materialized. I got lost sometimes, having to stop at a gas station for directions. I used (gasp) pay phones, if I was lucky enough to have change on me. I sometimes overslept because my alarm clock malfunctioned. I had to be around a radio to listen to the ballgame or news, or music. I forgot my passwords. I wasn�t always sure if the tip I was leaving was appropriate. Whew!

These devices we own are so handy. Back in the day the Sony Walkman was all the rage. Look how far we�ve come. It�s exciting to think where this is all going. Holograms anybody?
    RBernier likes this.
    12-18-10 01:12 PM
    Let's see, I still wear a watch daily (own about 60), I do not use my phone for
    multimedia (Every BlackBerry sucks in that regard), I still prefer a real camera, I don't
    and never will use my phone as an alarm clock (I have a real one), my car has
    built in GPS, I don't text message (dumbest communication medium EVER!!) and
    I am bright enough to figure out the appropriate tip in my head.

That, I guess, means, I do not relate, at all.
    gdasilva16 likes this.
    12-18-10 02:30 PM
    To each his own! I love convenience, simplicity and efficiency of using one device. The phone does all this for me just fine thank you very much. I remember the first Motorola cell phone my boss gave me to take on an out of town job. All the thing did was cost major bucks to make and receive calls. That was less than 15 years ago. I'm just saying, phones have come a long way in a short period of time.

Hard for me to accept your BB isn't good enough for multi-media unless it's for commercial purposes.

If you're insinuating I'm dumb for not being able to figure out a tip, consider I might just be having too much fun with my company or have had one too many drinks and opening up Calc to figure 20% of my meal before tax is easier sometimes. Maybe the tip example is just not that strong. In any case, I'm slightly offended at the notion I'm somehow dumb for not "figure out the appropriate tip in my head".

Your opinion on text messaging being "dumbest communication medium EVER!!" is in the minority of thinking.

As much as I appreciate your reply, this thread was meant as a platform for discussing the achievements and advancements of the modern day cell phone. Seems all you desire is an argument.
    12-18-10 02:49 PM
    My phone was for phone calls and sms

Who knew my BBs would replace 90% of my computer use!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-18-10 02:50 PM
    i get why people think SMS is dumb, purely i think because we`re so used to shooting off a BBM and not caring how long it is or anything, but if ya wanna cross platform message people, SMS is really all there is thats qubiqutous (bet thats spelt wrong).

as for how far we`ve come, yea im with ya, i remember using my (shudder) cassette walkman while doing my paper round, having games that spanned across 4 1.44mb floppy disks, and graphics that would be better suited to a watch!! so it is amazing how far we`ve come. as for looking forwards, well thing id love most is a display (be it phone or tv/pc) kinda like one in a film with ben affleck in it (i forget the name of it) where the tv image is 3D then he basically makes a holographics 3D version. that`d be well cool.
    12-18-10 03:07 PM
    To each his own! I'm just saying, phones have come a long way in a short period of time.
    And there I agree. I however subscribe to what is to me the well founded
    belief that any device that can do all things will do them all in a
    mediocre fashion.

Hard for me to accept your BB isn't good enough for multi-media unless it's for commercial purposes.
    Nope, not commercial purposes at all. I consider myself an audiophile and
    I'd rather pound nails into the floor boards than use a BlackBerry (any of
    them) for listening to music.

If you're insinuating I'm dumb for not being able to figure out a tip, consider I might just be having too much fun with my company or have had one too many drinks and opening up Calc to figure 20% of my meal before tax is easier sometimes. Maybe the tip example is just not that strong. In any case, I'm slightly offended at the notion I'm somehow dumb for not "figure out the appropriate tip in my head".
    If you are offended that is completely on you my friend. Reread my comment,
    I said I was "bright enough" At no point, no matter how much you infer
    otherwise, did I cast any aspersions on your intellectual ability.

Your opinion on text messaging being "dumbest communication medium EVER!!" is in the minority of thinking.
    Agreed, but that is my opinion.

As much as I appreciate your reply, this thread was meant as a platform for discussing the achievements and advancements of the modern day cell phone. Seems all you desire is an argument.

Translation: I am only interested in hearing from those who share my
    opinion.
    In your original post you asked "Who relates?" That opens the
    door for discussion whether it agrees with your premise or not. And there
    was and still is nothing argumentative to what I have posted. Sensitive much?
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 12-18-10 at 03:27 PM.
    _StephenBB81 likes this.
    12-18-10 03:25 PM
    These are some of the situations I found myself in B.B. (before Blackberry). Can anybody relate?

I used a watch to tell time. I used an iPod to play music. I wrote down appointments on my hand in pen. I couldn�t wait to get home at the end of a work day to check my email. Instead of using text, I forgot things at the store and had to go back. I used Quicken, Microsoft Money or Mint to track my spending and bill paying. I took pictures with my camera (if I had it with me, which was a rarity). I wished for a camcorder that never materialized. I got lost sometimes, having to stop at a gas station for directions. I used (gasp) pay phones, if I was lucky enough to have change on me. I sometimes overslept because my alarm clock malfunctioned. I had to be around a radio to listen to the ballgame or news, or music. I forgot my passwords. I wasn�t always sure if the tip I was leaving was appropriate. Whew!

These devices we own are so handy. Back in the day the Sony Walkman was all the rage. Look how far we�ve come. It�s exciting to think where this is all going. Holograms anybody?
    I'm down, for sure. It's incredible how many things in my life have been consolidated into a single convenient device, and I'm plenty happy for that. My Bold has definitely introduced me to a real mobile lifestyle. I've even found that I use my laptop far less often than I used to "B.B.".

I'm also absolutely in your camp on the camera usage comment. What I've especially realized is that, although I find some appeal in a real camera with higher MP resolution, the routine with my camera would generally be: take photos (high res photos, mind you), months later download them to my laptop, store them on my laptop, repeat. The photos never actually made it anywhere or benefitted anyone! They weren't printed for viewing physically or putting in a photo album, not emailed to friends, family or others, nothing! What I've found with my BB is that I take a lot of photos that I share instantly, through email, or online or even turning them into instantly mailed postcards with ShootIt app. So I've come to realize that although my Bold is only a 3.2MP camera, that resolution is fine for online viewing, emailing and general digital usage (which is by far the way most photos are seen these days) -- and so I'd much rather take lower res photos that I use and share and enjoy and do something with than 12MP high res photos that sit on my laptop withering.

There are plenty of other similar examples of the ways I use my BB and how my daily routines, communications, organizing methods, interactions, etc. have changed, but I think your OP sums it up pretty well.

Nice post, regardless of those who "don't relate at all" (and evidently don't text even though countless millions of other people sending billions of texts seem to have found it to be a rather worthwhile communication method).
    12-18-10 03:26 PM
    Nope, not commercial purposes at all. I consider myself an audiophile and
    I'd rather pound nails into the floor boards than use a BlackBerry (any of
    them) for listening to music.
    I appreciate quality sound for my music as well, and I'd encourage you to stream Pandora through your car stereo sometime. It sounds great, and I'd venture to say that the OP would include this as something he might not have done pre-BlackBerry but is another benefit of a tool like a BB. If you're not using your BB for music or photos of any kind, then it seems to me that you're missing out on some significant features of a BB.

So while I'd certainly rather listen to music at home through a quality stereo and excellent speakers than through the speaker on the side of my Bold, I also tend to listen to music more often now that I use my BB as an MP3 player (whether through earphones, in the car, even through the crappy speaker while walking the dog). It's another comment about allowing some "mediocrity" (as you put it) in quality, for convenience and additional enjoyment and benefit in other ways.

I took the OP as more of a lifestyle evolution question rather than a literal "Do you wear a watch any more?" post. The literal and condescending reply (whether or not the condescension is admitted) seemed more an attempt to intentionally shut down a potentially interesting discussion about technology in daily life than to answer the post in the spirit of the forums.

As the OP said, to each his own.
    12-18-10 03:46 PM
    yeaa I completely agree. I used to be really good at remembering phone numbers and such. I have a hard time even remembering my own number. It's pretty bad
    12-18-10 04:36 PM
    @BBMINI, I have tried using every GSM BlackBerry from the Pearl 8100 to the
    Torch 9800 in every conceivable way to listen to music and my opinion remains
    the same: THEY ALL SUCK. There are some things I will accept mediocrity in,
    audio fidelity is not and never will be one.

As to your condescension comment, spare me. I will not be admitting to anything
    of the sort as that was not the intention. The danger of reading typed word on
    a Forum is you will NEVER be able to glean the intent of the writer.

Again, the OP asked, "Can anyone relate?" I don't and I posted why. If that hurts
    your sensibilities of what the discussion should be and where it should go, that's
    your issue entirely.

I love people who say "to each his own" and then get all asspained when someone
    elses "own" doesn't match theirs
    12-18-10 04:41 PM
    I'm too dumb to figure out tips in my head. I love having a multi media device! I use my BlackBerry for music which replaced my walkman and discman.

I shop on my BlackBerry, keep in touch with friends and family videos, use the alarm clock and calendar, notes and grocery lists. Garmin GPS replaces a car unit nicely.

My BlackBerry replaces a lot of other devices. I use it in place of a PC too. I now have Docs To Go Premium which I'm loving. I'm very into being totally mobile!

12-18-10 04:48 PM
    ...although my Bold is only a 3.2MP camera, that resolution is fine for online viewing, emailing and general digital usage (which is by far the way most photos are seen these days) -- and so I'd much rather take lower res photos that I use and share and enjoy and do something with than 12MP high res photos that sit on my laptop withering.
    True for me! In fact, you just reminded me to send the band concert pics I took of my daughter the other night to her grandparents. Staying in touch with family and friends using photos has never been easier for me. I actually do something with the photos I take now.
    12-18-10 05:53 PM
    ...My BlackBerry replaces a lot of other devices. I use it in place of a PC too. I now have Docs To Go Premium which I'm loving. I'm very into being totally mobile!

I am into being totally mobile too. I've always loved laptops. They do have their limitations because of size/connectivity and power requirements. Eventually they all broke, got a bath or were handed down to my kids. Replacing my PC with a handheld device is the ultimate goal. I'm trying to wean myself from paying bills from the PC. I browse the forums much more now on the Torch than I ever did with my old 8300c. I've posted attachments on this forum. Phone>Camera app>Photobucket app>browser. I'm getting there.
    12-18-10 06:04 PM
    @BBMINI, As to your condescension comment, spare me. I will not be admitting to anything
    of the sort as that was not the intention. The danger of reading typed word on a Forum is you will NEVER be able to glean the intent of the writer.
    That's simply not true. When writing content that might be considered inflammatory, insulting, condescending, combative or otherwise argumentative, a good writer, or anyone who cares to, will phrase sentences and wording (or even use the emoticons as a last resort) so as to deliver their thoughts effectively without degrading or belittling others' perspectives (unless they actually want to be insulting, etc.). Your emphatic first post failed to do any of those things, so it came off as very one sided, definitive and insulting to the OP and the gist of his question. It's fine that you don't relate, but to phrase the reasons why you don't relate in the ways that you posted them seemed to imply that it never occurred to you that you could write them in a way that explained why you don't relate without coming off like an intentional ****. Then to hide behind the claim that the written word will NEVER be interpreted the way a writer intends it to be implies that you simply would prefer to have an excuse to stir things up while ignoring every writer who has ever published a well-written book, article, essay, etc and who took the time to make damn certain that his/her writing was understood the way it was intended. Jeesh. Spare me, as you say.

As for the fidelity comment, I'm with you. A BB is clearly not the optimal listening device, but my point is that I would guess there's little audible difference in listening to a CD through your home stereo and quality speakers and listening to digitally stored or digitally streamed musicon your BB that's plugged into your home stereo and quality speakers. It simply seemed to me that a digital recording playing through your stereo via a CD or via a plugged-in BlackBerry might provide similar audio results. Maybe a purist only listens to CDs since someone has proven that digital music stored on an iPod, a BB or any other MP3-type device, but I just figured if all digital music is the same then maybe you could get some more convenience out of your BB while benefitting your love for music.
    Jvaf likes this.
    12-18-10 06:08 PM
    Let me Clear My Throat

12-18-10 06:17 PM
    first, AG's posts are always a pleasure to read(even though we disagree on many things) lol

...life BB? i "had" a pretty good memory so i didn't have to worry about storing memos or anything...ive never been HUGE on taking pics so my Razr's VGA camera was enough for me...i had phones that were horrible at media such as the samsung A707...i had horrible mobile web experiences....not that i needed all the benefits of a BlackBerry at the time anyway because i was still in high school lol
    12-18-10 06:26 PM
    I am pleased with how much I CAN do with my phone, BUT I still use other devices

I have a GPS because my phone screen isn't large enough to be used as one for long drives, nor is it touch responsive enough in cold weather to reroute to a gas station as needed.

I still use a Laptop for the majority of my internet surfing, I read a lot on my blackberry, but still choose to have a full keyboard/ mouse/ browser, and add ons,

I never was a fan of using a watch, and I still try and do most math calculations in my head just to keep sharp.

Really the Majority of the change in my life due to the Blackberry/Cell phone is now more people can get intouch with me more easily, and I don't have to spend hours on the phone talking to my family because I can keep 2-3 minute updates via txt messaging every day.
    12-18-10 06:40 PM
    @BBMINI, I have tried using every GSM BlackBerry from the Pearl 8100 to the
    Torch 9800 in every conceivable way to listen to music and my opinion remains
    the same: THEY ALL SUCK. There are some things I will accept mediocrity in,
    audio fidelity is not and never will be one.
    MP3 is lossy and highly compressed, so it will not have a high quality sound on any device, whether a phone, MP3 player, or stereo system. It is a limitation of the format, not the device.
    12-18-10 06:49 PM
    I like crappy MP3 quality. Sounds like vinyl, the good ole days!

12-18-10 06:54 PM
    you guys & gals are picky with sound quality, I think my BB sounds as good as any CD ive listened to, I rarely listen to music though, mostly audio books & a lot of them. I just rip, convert, compress to whatever standard sounds good.
    12-18-10 10:32 PM
    Same here. Like I said I'm used to old records and tapes. That's what I grew up listening to. So MP3s sound good to me, about on par with CD quality, maybe a bit less. But much better than records and tapes!

12-19-10 04:29 AM
    before i had a blackberry, i had to carry one of those agenda binders/portfolios that had calendar, address book and all that stuff. also thanks to blackberry, i don't have to sit on my computer for minutes, sometimes hours waiting on a reply from an important email. other then that, i must agree with AG. i wear a watch, i'm not the smartest guy in the world, and although i hate math, i know my share of it.
    12-19-10 09:54 AM
    I do everything on my BB other than GPS since my Acura has a built-in navigation system. Camera, music, shopping, calendar, tasks... Everything! Love it!

12-19-10 07:01 PM
    Before my smartphone i wasn't as lost but it did add more convenience to my life, and make things easier, i had to carry around an Agenda as well, and a briefcase for work to hold all my papers, and notes and stuff of that nature. Now all i carry is my iPhone and it holds the schedule to my day, all my papers concerning soldiers on documents to go, and i use tons of other apps but yea the smartphone is awesome, made my workload much lighter.
    Last edited by CrackberryBrandon; 12-19-10 at 07:29 PM.
    12-19-10 07:19 PM
    Let's see, I still wear a watch daily (own about 60), I do not use my phone for
    multimedia (Every BlackBerry sucks in that regard), I still prefer a real camera, I don't
    and never will use my phone as an alarm clock (I have a real one), my car has
    built in GPS, I don't text message (dumbest communication medium EVER!!) and
    I am bright enough to figure out the appropriate tip in my head.

That, I guess, means, I do not relate, at all.
    Ditto AG. I too wear a watch on the daily (an analog chronograph... a real man's watch ).

Music on the 9000 was good for me; I use/used Sony studio headphones and the quality was always good.

+1. I'd take a real cameras over any smartphone camera any day.

I'm cool with using my device for an alarm clock but can understand why some people don't. This actually prevented me from buying one at a time when I needed one.

Built in GPS is the way to go for people with cars, but us on a bicycle or bus etc, GPS on a smartphone is logical for occasional lostness and impaired sense of direction.

I don't SMS much but I don't think it's stupid in any way. I prefer actul voice communication but there are times when people can't talk and don't have mobile email (e.g. BlackBerry/BIS).

+3.14 for those of us that don't need "tip-calculator apps."
    12-20-10 01:20 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD