Thanks for doing my homework for me! That narrows down the shopping list for next time. Are all of these manufactured outside of China?

I had a couple of LG phones: a Nexus 4 and a G2. Both were nice devices with good custom ROM support.
    You're safe with these. Vietnam, Korea, Japan, and Taiwan.

Ironically, Pixels are the best for custom ROMs (without Google) . LineageOS is an easy flash.
    BBuso77 likes this.
    04-05-21 07:28 PM
    You're safe with these. Vietnam, Korea, Japan, and Taiwan.

Ironically, Pixels are the best for custom ROMs. LineageOS is an easy flash.
    Damn you're fast.
    ppeters914 and BBuso77 like this.
    04-05-21 07:30 PM
    Sad to see LG go. They certainly were creative and that will be missed. Who can forget the curved Flex phones or the Wing from last year.
    04-06-21 06:03 PM
    Sad to see LG go. They certainly were creative and that will be missed. Who can forget the curved Flex phones or the Wing from last year.
    Apparently all but a few thousand people.
    04-06-21 06:07 PM
    Maybe Sony is next for me. Not sure I can make it to an Onward Mobility release that is nowhere near a sure thing.
    04-06-21 08:04 PM
    Maybe Sony is next for me. Not sure I can make it to an Onward Mobility release that is nowhere near a sure thing.
    Jumping from the Titanic and onto the Hindenburg? I expect them to be next.
    BBuso77, pdr733 and Laura Knotek like this.
    04-06-21 08:07 PM
    Quite possible. Who knows? It would be pretty sad to whittle down to two choices wouldn't it?
    04-06-21 08:11 PM
    With LG out, there will be a larger percentage of their faithful going to a sure thing (Samsung?), then there will be those that go iOS. Some will seek refuge with Sony and others.
    04-06-21 08:18 PM
    With LG out, there will be a larger percentage of their faithful going to a sure thing (Samsung?), then there will be those that go iOS. Some will seek refuge with Sony and others.
    I have a problem with Samsung's bloatware, although maybe that's not a problem anymore. I was already thinking a Pixel would be my next phone, but not a decision I have to make for a couple three years.
    04-06-21 08:27 PM
    I think the only non-Chinese, non-Samsung Android phones that will be around for a while are Google and Asus. The former has its own critical raison d'etre, and the latter has consumed the entire gaming market.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-06-21 08:28 PM
    Saddened to hear that it's official. Market consolidation is a B****.
    04-06-21 08:29 PM
    Market consolidation is a B****.
    LG Throwing In The Towel-there-can-only-one.jpg
    bh7171 likes this.
    04-06-21 08:34 PM
    I think the only non-Chinese, non-Samsung Android phones that will be around for a while are Google and Asus. The former has its own critical raison d'etre, and the latter has consumed the entire gaming market.
    Fair enough, and I'm not committed to a brand at this time. Looking at alternatives currently. The upcoming Sony ticks my boxes. If it gave me 3 years I'd be OK with that (if it is what it's rumoured to be). No decision made at any rate.
    04-06-21 08:37 PM
    Quite possible. Who knows? It would be pretty sad to whittle down to two choices wouldn't it?
    Yes, it would be unfortunate to have to choose between Samsung and Apple phones.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-06-21 08:38 PM
    Yes, it would be unfortunate to have to choose between Samsung and Apple phones.
    Imagine only being able to choose between Ford and Honda, and that all other car companies couldn't make it.
    Seems nuts. Would the choice become between gas and electric, or hybrid?
    Amazing how tribal in the phone world things are. What have we done as a collective to point at the likes of Apple and Samsung as the only two viable choices? Sure Google Pixel will be a thing if they get a battery, but in NA and Europe what are we downsizing to?
    Not interested in only two or three choices, that seems weak. Even Huawei struggles in the West (for obvious reasons).
    bh7171 likes this.
    04-06-21 10:00 PM
    As a huge LG V-series fan, this is a sad day for me. The excellent cameras, audio, mics, manual camera interface, and SD card support made the V-series one of the best choices for creator folks like me. Sadly, made too many bad decisions in a row, focusing on gimmicks and such instead of just solid phones, and by the time they got back to that, they were too far behind and lacked the marketing dollars to catch up. It's a familiar story.

It will be a couple of years before I need a new phone, but I'm not looking forward to having to make those choices.
    I just picked up a cheap V20 off of eBay for use as a lightweight budget portable DAC for runs and bike rides. Holy heck is it a great sounding device! I'll never put a SIM in it or connect to WiFi outside my house, but I agree it's one of the nicest Android phones I've seen.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-21 10:39 PM
    I just picked up a cheap V20 off of eBay for use as a lightweight budget portable DAC for runs and bike rides. Holy heck is it a great sounding device! I'll never put a SIM in it or connect to WiFi outside my house, but I agree it's one of the nicest Android phones I've seen.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, the LG Quad DACs are amazing. These phones are extremely underrated - by the time LG started doing things right, they'd already ruined their reputation and killed their marketing budget, and the tech press largely ignored them as a result. If people actually knew how good the V-series phones were, they'd be top sellers. Too late for that now.
    ppeters914 and Laura Knotek like this.
    04-06-21 11:51 PM
    Unfortunately the original Nokia (not HMD) didn't take the advantage of this situation.
    It is the only trustworthy European company that Billions of people loved and trusted in mobile industry.

Their management were too dumb when they sold their great phone division while having 35% global market share.

Well, it was the Trojan horse.
    04-07-21 12:54 AM
    Unfortunately the original Nokia (not HMD) didn't take the advantage of this situation.
    It is the only trustworthy European company that Billions of people loved and trusted in mobile industry.

Their management were too dumb when they sold their great phone division while having 35% global market share.

Well, it was the Trojan horse.
    If you mean they didn’t choose to develop Android devices and instead cashed out at top like the smart company they’ve proven to be? It was far smarter for Nokia to have avoided the ANDROID OEM BATTLE that even it lacked the economic resources for.

What everyone ignores, that Google did the original 2000s BlackBerry model, the licensed OS, and just did it better since it had the economic resources. Had BlackBerry or Nokia itself purchased Android instead of Google in 2005, it would have still needed to follow the Google data mining business model as Google itself or be the largest OEM with the conglomerate industries to subsidize the mobile endeavor.

It’s why the Nokia proprietary mobile OS and the Windows OS versions both failed even though having Microsoft economic resources in addition to it’s own economic resources. It’s also why LG failed similar to Microsoft endeavor. Both have the economic resources to participate, however the consumer and enterprise customers only care for two or three proven choices as sales prove. People expect a commodity product to just do it’s job without having to really think about it. Just a smartphone in 2021 that does it’s job as inexpensive as possible if possible.
    04-07-21 06:40 AM
    Seems like iPhone is the best long term option for support. I have resisted but may need to explore. My wife and kids are all iPhone. I have a Samsung S20.
    04-07-21 07:25 AM
    Seems like iPhone is the best long term option for support. I have resisted but may need to explore. My wife and kids are all iPhone. I have a Samsung S20.
    But have you ever used an iPhone in its 4th, 5th, and 6th years as a primary device?

I think the pace of technology makes a phone, no matter how good it is, obsolete after 3 or 4 years.
    Laura Knotek and kbz1960 like this.
    04-07-21 08:07 AM
    I used an iPhone for two days and returned it. I have only used Blackberry and Samsung Galaxy's. My only complaint with Samsung is the bloat and duplication of apps. Conite, I follow your posts and I think my next phone will be a Pixel. iPhone maybe...I have never been an Apple fan.
    04-07-21 08:21 AM
    Samsung are now promising four years of support for your S20... I was using my kids iPhone the other day and wasn't able to buy anything using the Amazon app... Was happy to go back to my Note 20 Ultra to many restrictive practices with Apple...
    04-07-21 08:33 AM
    Samsung are now promising four years of support for your S20... I was using my kids iPhone the other day and wasn't able to buy anything using the Amazon app... Was happy to go back to my Note 20 Ultra to many restrictive practices with Apple...
    I use the Amazon App to buy stuff all the time on my iPhone. And the Amazon Prime Video App works fine for in-app purchases as well. Will say that on iOS both the VUDU and Google Play Movies Apps do not allow in-app purchases... if that matters.

But in the end if his wife and kids are all iPhone users ... huge advantages of being part of a Family Share with Apple Services and Content. Not to mention the iMessage, Find My, Air Drop and sharing of things like Passwords.

There are some "walled garden" restrictions with iOS... but Amazon isn't one of them.
    04-07-21 10:24 AM
    I use the Amazon App to buy stuff all the time on my iPhone. And the Amazon Prime Video App works fine for in-app purchases as well. Will say that on iOS both the VUDU and Google Play Movies Apps do not allow in-app purchases... if that matters.

But in the end if his wife and kids are all iPhone users ... huge advantages of being part of a Family Share with Apple Services and Content. Not to mention the iMessage, Find My, Air Drop and sharing of things like Passwords.

There are some "walled garden" restrictions with iOS... but Amazon isn't one of them.
    Not possible in the UK... You can buy things using a browser but only consume content using Amazon's apps... I assumed it was because Apple are taking a cut..?
    04-07-21 10:31 AM
119 1234 ...