BB's decision to exit the smartphone business five years ago is looking better and better. If giants like Amazon, Microsoft and now LG can't turn a profit selling phones, there's no way a company with less than $1B in revenue could manage it.

They sold almost 25 million phones last year, and have a huge line of other products to cover their overhead, but they still lost money continually over the past half decade years. Not to mention, they made some very good phones, including some of the best for listening to music.

https://www.androidcentral.com/its-o...phone-business

Posted via CB10
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-04-21 11:26 PM
    Yep saw that earlier tonight. Kinda surprised but not really I guess
    04-04-21 11:37 PM
    The non-Chinese Android market is now down to Samsung, Google, Nokia, Asus, and Sony.
    04-04-21 11:52 PM
    As a huge LG V-series fan, this is a sad day for me. The excellent cameras, audio, mics, manual camera interface, and SD card support made the V-series one of the best choices for creator folks like me. Sadly, made too many bad decisions in a row, focusing on gimmicks and such instead of just solid phones, and by the time they got back to that, they were too far behind and lacked the marketing dollars to catch up. It's a familiar story.

It will be a couple of years before I need a new phone, but I'm not looking forward to having to make those choices.
    04-05-21 12:27 AM
    As a huge LG V-series fan, this is a sad day for me. The excellent cameras, audio, mics, manual camera interface, and SD card support made the V-series one of the best choices for creator folks like me. Sadly, made too many bad decisions in a row, focusing on gimmicks and such instead of just solid phones, and by the time they got back to that, they were too far behind and lacked the marketing dollars to catch up. It's a familiar story.

It will be a couple of years before I need a new phone, but I'm not looking forward to having to make those choices.
    Few more years.... I expect Sony, Nokia, Moto (Lenovo) and a few others others will have pulled out as well. So your "choice" might be much simpler.

Samsung has put more focus on the middle and entry level.... and it's just hard to compete against a GIANT that make most the components and the end products. And does a pretty good job, especially now that today's hardware is able to handle their software bloat.

Unless you are a Chinese giant like BBK Electronics, Xiaomi or... does Huawei count anymore?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-05-21 08:08 AM
    Another LG user here.
    Me: 9800 -> Z10 -> G7
    Wife: Curve -> G2/3/4 -> V30

Solid phones with little to no bloat although a couple of goofy OEM-tweeked apps and glacially slow updates.

Luckily (hopefully?), it'll be 2-3 years before I need to think about replacing.

And life goes on....
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-05-21 09:25 AM

Yep, my condolences. I know you were a big fan.
    04-05-21 09:27 AM
    Damn, no LG Wing 2? What a tragedy.
    04-05-21 09:59 AM
    I'm glad the opted not to sell of the "brand" (mobility division). One of the groups involved was the Russian National Wealth Fund, not sure how Russian phones with the LG sticker would have worked out.

Better to just end it, rather than dragging down the brand with weak attempts to recover some "value".

But LG will remain a major electronic company... if conditions change or warrant their return to mobile, it's not like they'd be starting from nothing.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-05-21 02:05 PM
    Wise decision to quit.
    More brands should do that If you can’t provide monthly updates for at least 4 years
    It’s more honest to the consumers.
    bh7171 and elfabio80 like this.
    04-05-21 02:11 PM
    Wise decision to quit.
    More brands should do that If you can’t provide monthly updates for at least 4 years
    No one's providing 4 years except for Samsung and that's only on their flagship phones.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-05-21 02:18 PM
    Samsung A52 isn't a flagship but more a cheap midrange..
    04-05-21 02:27 PM
    Samsung A52 isn't a flagship but more a cheap midrange..
    The 3rd year is quarterly, and the 4th year is biannual. That applies to all devices in the 4-year program. That's 30 patches.

Google currently has 3 years of monthly patches (36) minimum, but I expect them to announce something for the 4th year too since they just reached a deal with Qualcomm for 4 years of SoC support.
    iixclusive and Laura Knotek like this.
    04-05-21 02:33 PM
    2 brands are not many who provide this.
    but they are the most secure ones.
    let's hope other will follow.
    if not let's hope they quit in time..
    04-05-21 02:45 PM
    The 3rd year is quarterly, and the 4th year is "a couple".
    I probably could live with quarterly updates on Android.... a couple might be ok.

In one of the articles I read, LG will still be providing updates to their phones. But one has to wonder with their already poor track record what that might really mean. I expect LG phones might soon be a bargain..... but I wouldn't count on their "promise" of updates.

Maybe this will help some of the other vendors that are struggling to reach profitability....

Or maybe it will be the signal that it's time to give up if things aren't profitable right now.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-05-21 02:59 PM
    2 brands are not many who provide this.
    but they are the most secure ones.
    let's hope other will follow.
    if not let's hope they quit in time..
    Or let's just hope people only buy from the brands that offer that level of security.

But in the end it's not a priority to many.... bigger deal if you don't get some emoji pack that those with the newest OS have.
    04-05-21 03:01 PM
    I probably could live with quarterly updates on Android.... a couple might be ok.

In one of the articles I read, LG will still be providing updates to their phones. But one has to wonder with their already poor track record what that might really mean. I expect LG phones might soon be a bargain..... but I wouldn't count on their "promise" of updates.

Maybe this will help some of the other vendors that are struggling to reach profitability....

Or maybe it will be the signal that it's time to give up if things aren't profitable right now.
    LG said they will bring Android 12 to "select" devices, subject to sales performance.
    04-05-21 03:08 PM
    No one's providing 4 years except for Samsung and that's only on their flagship phones.
    Not true- all the Galaxy A line as well and almost all tablets since '19-20.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-05-21 03:12 PM
    The 3rd year is quarterly, and the 4th year is biannual. That applies to all devices in the 4-year program. That's 30 patches.

Google currently has 3 years of monthly patches (36) minimum, but I expect them to announce something for the 4th year too since they just reached a deal with Qualcomm for 4 years of SoC support.
    Reached a deal with Qualcomm and now moving to a Samsung built personal SOC for the Pixel 6.
    04-05-21 03:13 PM

My MIL's Samsung S7 Edge received a security update in September of '20 that's 5 years of support or some kind of update. I tried to talk her into possibly upgrading @ the beach last week and she's still not interested. "Works fine"
    04-05-21 03:18 PM

My wife's Samsung's fouth year was quarterly. I have had two Samsung phones and tbe third year was always quarterly.
    04-05-21 03:42 PM
    My MIL's Samsung S7 Edge received a security update in September of '20 that's 5 years of support or some kind of update. I tried to talk her into possibly upgrading @ the beach last week and she's still not interested. "Works fine"
    Yes, the 4.5 year update was good news, but in fairness, it addressed a serious issue that seemed only to affect Samsung devices.
    04-05-21 03:58 PM
    My wife's Samsung's fouth year was quarterly. I have had two Samsung phones and tbe third year was always quarterly.
    I'm simply parroting Samsung's new stated policy effective Feb of this year.
    04-05-21 03:59 PM
    Wise decision to quit.
    LG produced nice smartphones, but their update policy sucked. This kept many customers away from them.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-05-21 04:46 PM
    The non-Chinese Android market is now down to Samsung, Google, Nokia, Asus, and Sony.
    Thanks for doing my homework for me! That narrows down the shopping list for next time. Are all of these manufactured outside of China?

I had a couple of LG phones: a Nexus 4 and a G2. Both were nice devices with good custom ROM support.
    04-05-21 07:27 PM
119 123 ...