I wrote this letter to Telus.

Any other Curve owners frustrated about their GPS being useless? I'm trying to build a case here.

Thanks.

Greetings,

I am the owner of a Curve 8330.

Sadly, the GPS doesn't seem to be of any use unless it is used in conjunction with (pay service) Telus Navigator.

I bought a Curve with the very strong intention of extensively using the GPS.

DNA is unable to explain why the Curve continues being sold despite the fact that Telus' Q&A dept has completely omitted to sign off on this feature.

I need to know what can be done to mitigate this loss of functionality.

Why is the Pearl's GPS able to function without any issues, while the Curve is basically useless as a GPS without (again, pay service) Telus Navigator?

I need someone from the Q&A, development or 2nd-3rd level support to contact me with a patch/fix, or an assurance that I will not be charged for Telus Navigator (which is, by the way, a terribly unfriendly and bloated product) until said patch/fix makes its way to my device.

Or how about this: You provide me, free of charge, with a BB that does in fact have a working GPS? Actions need to be taken by Telus to signify their intention to repair their massive oversight.

This is not my first inquiry/complaint about the GPS, and I have since received a new Curve, hoping in vain that I had in fact received a "lemon". The replacement has fixed nothing.

I wish to point out that your customer service and DNA teams have been nothing but good sports throughout my ordeals. Their hands seem to be bound as tightly as mine.

Great service notwithstanding, I need to see a resolution/workaround coming from Telus in the coming days.

Selling the Curve as a capable GPS unit is false representation. Plain and simple.

I know it's not Telus' fault the GPS is broken, as shown by RIM's public admitance of their mistake. But the fact remains that it is Telus' responsibility to refuse to distribute a faulty product.

Please contact me ASAP, either by phone or email, to discuss your action plan going forward.
    02-04-09 10:35 AM
    You're quite correct in stating that you and I would not be the first, or the last, to express our concern about this. But I tend to be quite stubborn when I'm paying for something I'm not receiving. I'm not letting go of this.

That being said, Here's the followup:

Telus' automated (?) reply:
    Hello Francis,

Thank you for your e-mail. We appreciate the opportunity to respond to your usage inquiry and provide you with the requested information.

We recommend that you click on the link below for the latest software upgrades for the BlackBerry 8830. Please select Device and Desktop Software and then Download the Latest BlackBerry Software. This should solve this known issue.

PCS client care / user guides / support - BlackBerry 8330 - TELUS Mobility

Should you require additional assistance, we recommend that you call our BlackBerry Support Team at 1 866 771 7292 for complete assistance with your inquiry.
    and my immediate rebuttal:
    Greetings,

First, I would like to thank you for your prompt reply.

Sadly, your proposition to install the latest version of the Blackberry OS (4.5.0.77) falls short of what I am experiencing, since I have been using that version of the OS for quite some time now.

I must say, I'm surprised that you were unable to verify the version of the device OS I am using before offering me the link to the download page.

That being said, upgrading/reinstalling my device OS is not the answer. I've attempted that solution several times before contacting anyone at Telus.

I can also safely make this assumption because I have witnessed first hand another Telus Curve owner (using Telus' offering of 4.5.0.77) struggling with this issue no earlier than 48 hours ago, with a Pearl (again, using 4.5.0.77) as a comparison.

You may also find, with a search in Google for "telus curve gps", 479,000 results, some of which still current threads, detailing what I've written to you originally.

My main motivation for writing to you today was a conversation with a member of DNA who has confirmed that his own Curve still has the afformentioned GPS issue. If even Telus employees are troubled by faulty devices, what hope is there for us simple customers?

Please have someone investigate this promptly.

PS: your pre-written reply to my - I must admit - quite detailed email contains an error. I am the owner of a Curve 8330, not a Blackberry 8830 World edition.
    The adventure continues ...
    02-04-09 03:14 PM
    I have a pearl, but has anyone tried loyalty and retention? They can make things happen, if you're thinking of leaving Telus (hint).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-04-09 09:36 PM
    I started my contract in sept 2k8 and I like the rest of the services, despite the faulty hardware. I'm not willing to grovel back to rogers/fido.

02-04-09 09:50 PM
    considering this: http://forums.crackberry.com/f109/ok...x-here-152147/

is my inquiry worth pursuing anymore? It's been established that Telus failed to configure the GPSOne firmware on the qualcomm chipset to enter its A-GPS configuration.

Did they do it on purpose to push Telus Navigator? Were they asleep when the detailed design was approved?

Am I fighting windmills here?
    02-06-09 10:41 AM
    Just curious...does your gps not work at all, or is it losing the satellite signal every 2 min. I had no gps with o/s 4.3, but with 4.5.0.77 it is semi-functional. Not sure what telus navigator is but I don't have it.
    02-10-09 12:34 PM
    Selling the Curve as a capable GPS unit is false representation. Plain and simple.
    I have the Curve 8350i on the Telus Mike network. I had hoped the phone would have some half decent GPS service as we had waited a long time in replacing our old 7520's on the promise this new feature was coming. Sadly it was not worth the wait for the GPS.
    02-10-09 02:52 PM
    This situation is a disgrace. How can they advertise the GPS feature on the Curve if it won't work 1/3 of the times. A real joke. I already told them and they don't care.

02-13-09 09:37 AM
    I had the exact same problem with my curve, and they kept telling me this and that and strung me along for months...I had the pearl before and of course that unit's GPS worked like a charm...that damn curve would NEVER work - oh, except for the 30 days I had Telus Navigator! I ended up exchanging the phone for the Storm. But I cannot believe that they have not resolved this situation yet.
    02-14-09 11:50 AM
    they do this so you will use telus nav

the gps "fix" has a success rate of like 90%...shady tactics
    02-14-09 02:24 PM
    For all who think the gps is broken or this is an issue, we need to clarify.

THE GPS IS INTENTIONALLY BLOCKED so you have to use Telus Navigator.

I owned and HTC touch and HTC Diamond previously and it was the same problem when using google maps. But Telus nav always worked.

The link a couple of posts above details how to modify your gpsONE settings to enable GPS use and improve satelite lock speeds. This method was initially designed as a gps fix for the htc touch. Now its been adapted for blackberries.
    02-20-09 02:25 AM
    he emails step by step instructions... my gps works FLAWLESSLY!!

go to kijiji.ca and search - Telus curve gps
    06-13-09 12:01 AM
    my gps doesn't work on my brand new storm, haven't tried the ip address hack yet, I think it's rediculous you'd have to result to doing that.
    06-14-09 04:40 PM
    I realize that many people are having gps issues, but I haven't done any "gps fix", but when I upgraded the os to .160 (latest Telus release), my 8330's gps began working with both google and BB maps. I was shocked!

The gps is not as sensitive as the Pearl, which used to establish a lock from inside a house, but I can use my gps outside or in my car, which is where it counts for me. Anyway, I don't know if it's a fluke or not, but I consider myself one of the lucky ones.

I really wish you luck in getting this resolved - after all, Telus markets and advertises the Curve as having gps functionality with BB Maps right on their web site!

All the best.
    06-15-09 06:39 AM
    he emails step by step instructions... my gps works FLAWLESSLY!!

go to kijiji.ca and search - Telus curve gps
    so some ***** took all the hard work houseape and i put into the "fix" and is now charging people 15$ to "unlock" the gps?

what a c ockmeat sandwhich
    06-15-09 01:06 PM
    so some ***** took all the hard work houseape and i put into the "fix" and is now charging people 15$ to "unlock" the gps?

I seen that but could not find it on CL or Kijiji. Is it up now?
    06-15-09 08:34 PM
    I seen that but could not find it on CL or Kijiji. Is it up now?
    ***** UNLOCK GPS TELUS BLACKBERRY CURVE / PEARL / STORM ***** - Toronto Phones, PDAs, iPods For Sale - Kijiji Toronto
    06-16-09 06:53 AM
    Oh in TO I was looking in Vancouver. What a duch. Flag Flag Flag.

06-16-09 09:33 AM

wow, that's unbelievable
    06-17-09 02:26 PM
    Here is what I can confirm, and I think others have realized as well.

My GPS wouldn't work. Not in BBmaps, not in Google maps, not in GPSed.

Installed Telus Navigator and initially didn't agree to their terms of service...

Still nothing worked.

Signed up for Telus navigator (free 30 day trial), suddenly all my GPS works great... in the house, everywhere.

Cancelled Telus Navigator, it says it was cancelled and I can still use it til the end of the cycle (30 days from now). So, they shouldn't charge me a dime. I just hope that it's a permanent fix and it won't magically stop working in 31 days after I don't have a navigator subscription.

Time will tell.
    01-21-10 04:30 PM
    my GPS didn't work on my curve... I downgraded the OS, did the hack, and VOILA! I now have amazing GPS capabilities. It works beautifully even within' my house!

Telus, I love you, but your a ***** for doing this to your loyal customers.
    02-14-10 08:17 PM
    Here is what I can confirm, and I think others have realized as well.

My GPS wouldn't work. Not in BBmaps, not in Google maps, not in GPSed.

Installed Telus Navigator and initially didn't agree to their terms of service...

Still nothing worked.

Signed up for Telus navigator (free 30 day trial), suddenly all my GPS works great... in the house, everywhere.

Cancelled Telus Navigator, it says it was cancelled and I can still use it til the end of the cycle (30 days from now). So, they shouldn't charge me a dime. I just hope that it's a permanent fix and it won't magically stop working in 31 days after I don't have a navigator subscription.

Time will tell.

It will stop working... I was in the same boat as you.

forums.crackberry.com/attachments/f41/21266d1239647094-real-fix-brokengps-[/url]
    guide-v1-0-how-get-your-gps-work-blackberry.pdf

...enjoy...
    02-14-10 08:19 PM
    Will unlocking my 8330 help the with the gps? Since unlocking means that it can be used on different carriers. Or is in the set in the chip by vzw?

03-04-10 09:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD