View Poll Results: Would you buy a laptop running a Blackberry OS?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and it will be my prmary computer.

14 24.56%
  • Yes, and it would be my secondary computer.

3 5.26%
  • Maybe, but just to play with.

2 3.51%
  • I'd love to, but I need all of my current (and fully featured) PC apps

14 24.56%
  • No, I wouldn't buy one

13 22.81%
  • I'll just use a Playbook (or playbook 10" f it ever comes out) with a bluetooth keyboard.

6 10.53%
  • I consider the notion to be ridiculous.

4 7.02%
  • Obligitory hovercraft full of eels option

1 1.75%
    Some people are convinced that Blackberry can just squat out laptops running a form of Blackberry OS. Now I can cover the arguments for and against, but I figure the more important question is: would it sell? Here we are in a place with a high concentration of blackberry users, so hypothetically we'd have a lot of potential buyers. let's find out.
    03-03-13 12:31 AM
    Let's see. Uumm, no. I do not even use Macs. I love Linux but also don't use it day to day. I use PCs just to get my work done. And in that environment, Windows is king because it runs *everything*.

I can think of no greater folly for blackberry than a PC type device. If the phones start making them cash they need a good tablet strategy first.

Sent from my BlackBerry Torch 9850 using Tapatalk
    03-03-13 01:01 AM
    What I'd love to be able to do is plug a large monitor, keyboard and mouse into my BB10-on-steroids phone running everything my PC does currently, and running it equally well. Might this be possible with cloud-based programs/computing like Office 365 etc?
    03-03-13 01:15 AM
    Before the release of Windows 8, I would have said no way. Now I'm not so sure as Microsoft have gone too far into turning a desktop OS into a something only suitable fit a tablet.
    The Z10 could be a great terminal services device, Citrix end point and this is where I feel they should concentrate their focus, at least for now.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-13 06:16 AM
    I would consider it if it would make Microsoft office type files
    03-03-13 06:35 AM
    No because it will most likely be launched without native email, would not be launched in the U.S. until it was old news, would not have NetFlix and would be "coming soon" forever!

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    Balti43 and djh_wolf like this.
    03-03-13 06:45 AM
    I would buy one as long as the integration of BB10 and the laptop was great and if it had all the necessary tools plus some innovative features. Also would be great with a beautiful UI and an elegant hardware design. FYI: I have used windows 8, it looks kinda cool, but I really don't care for the user experience, it just seems like a cluster f$&@. And I have a Mac Book Air but I am not a religious Apple user and I'd love to have something new that is geared toward business and college.
    03-03-13 07:51 AM
    If it had Microsoft office... to the windows standard, them yes...

Posted via CB10
    03-03-13 07:51 AM
    Reinventing the wheel?

Here we have 2 major well-known platforms (ms & apple) which run everything we can throw at them, and have done for years. Total, worldwide support, standardisation and familiarity.

BB can't even get a frigging phone right. Moving into another platform that's already performing fantastically? Not a hope. Ridiculous.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    03-03-13 09:48 AM
    Before the release of Windows 8, I would have said no way. Now I'm not so sure as Microsoft have gone too far into turning a desktop OS into a something only suitable fit a tablet.
    The Z10 could be a great terminal services device, Citrix end point and this is where I feel they should concentrate their focus, at least for now.

Posted via CB10
    OMFG! Win8 is annoying on a PC. Having win7 shell is the only reason I Haven't downgraded my new Thinkpad.

So yeah, I'm with you. If blackberry can come up with an unobtrusive and customizable OS like linux for a PC, then I would be interested. Must work flawlessly with MS office though.

Sent by portable transceiver on 1800MHz
    03-03-13 10:19 AM
    The things I do on a laptop require apps written for Windows.

Everything from track layout programming for model railroading, to web browsing to app programming in general.

Come to think of it, I can probably do most of this on any branded laptop. Maybe i would do a blackberry laptop but it would be a harder sell than for me to move from an Android phone to a Z10. For how I use a phone, the Z10 does everything i need (as does Android). I just want something different and probably better for the asks I do.
    03-03-13 10:41 AM
    I am certain that this thread won't settle any argument, perhaps just the opposite. In order to even make this a relevant discussion what needs to be landed are questions about the future of personal computers. Can there be an alternative that meets the needs of a segment of the population, what would that alternative look like? I would propose that it would look like a personal mobile computer, always with the user, always has access to the necessary tools and files, it would be something that the non-developer or IT population could comfortably use for 99% of their needs.

I am such a user, at home I need access to the Internet, email and social networks, Word, Excel, or some equivalent, a printer and that's about it, same for my wife and kids. I currently have a graveyard of dead PCs and laptops some with files that I would like to recover, all of which have eaten my money and time. Give me a solution that ends this waste of time and money they is home computing , I am not an IT person and maintaining a home network is frustrating and confusing, I will buy it. The future will see a move away from PCs and laptops for a significant portion of the population, I think BBRY is leading the way, they won't build a PC because they are building it's replacement.
    03-03-13 11:02 AM
    I would love to, but it would need to have the complete functionality of a full Windows 8 machine. Nothing compared to a Chromebook or Windows RT...That's what tablets are for. If a BlackBerry (QNX) based PC can offer a full experience, then I'm all in.
    03-03-13 11:08 AM
    In my view there is a market for something along these lines. The Windows ecosystem has served us well for many years but like many users I suspect, I am fed up with finding that my purchased programmes will only work on one PC, and if that PC dies, the progs die with it. I am fed up with MS constantly updating my PC. I am fed up with the threat of viruses and the sheer utter complication of it all. I am fed up with dozens of programmes slowing my PC down. Etc etc. I know that tech types will say there are solutions for all of this but I am not a techie, I just want to get things done. Despite all the bugs and problems with Blackberry os, it has a mobile versatility and simplicity in use that is increasingly attractive compared to desk-bound desktop PCs.

For example, I had a PC in my living room used for basic things like accessing the Internet. Online shopping, email, googling things, playing music, watching YouTube, BBC iPlayer, that sort of home task. Not any more. Once I got my PlayBook, the PC lay unused. Eventually I realised I was never going to use it the way I had before, so moved it out of the living room. Less clutter, greater portability and simplicity with my PlayBook. At work, I still have a PC for doing power-intensive work such as spreadsheets, accounting, and the like, and I can't see that ending anytime soon.

Now the Z10 is making even the PlayBook redundant for some things. And so it goes on. So yes, in my view Blackberry should be looking at providing a viable alternative for lots of daily computing tasks that were previously exclusively the preserve of Windows or Apple PCs. Especially with the increasing integration with TVs and other household appliances. And I love that some BB10 apps purchased for my PlayBook automatically duplicate themselves on my new Z10 at no extra cost. No hassle, no tedious installation process, it is all done in seconds. This is the sort of convenience that Windows based computing can't compete with.
    ricocan likes this.
    03-03-13 11:27 AM
    i wouldnt want a laptop based on blackberry 10s style as to me itd just turn it into an app tablet with an attached keyboard, itd have to have a desktop layout like windows, linux and mac. i would however think itd be interesting if blackberry just designed the laptops exterior and maybe dabbled in improved security and made it run windows with the option to bridge the bb10 phone so that when bridged you could basically use the phone from the computer: i.e. larger screen to type out your work you started on the train home and it automatically saves to the phones sd card AND the computers hard drive (sync)

would probably be way to complicated and effort to do though and id rather they just focused on the phone, most people would only buy it because it has the blackberry logo stamped on it anyway the bb10 playbooks with a bluetooth keyboard case will probably be a much better and cheaper solution
    03-03-13 11:40 AM
    It would depend on what type of computer it would be.
    BB wouldn't have chance in the consumer market, however, if they had a line of computers that flawlessly worked together. Then, yes.
    Think about it, a server with QNX that connects all of the computers and BB10 phones and tablets in the company.
    Since it is QNX, it would obviously be very secure, and very reliable.
    BlackBerry could go for the market IBM has been going after for many years.
    03-03-13 11:47 AM
    I think everyone's notion is simply..."If it could do everything my PC can do, I would buy it." That's my sentiment anyways. Certainly if it was capable of everything the competition was, there's no reason it couldn't be had.
    Acidwire likes this.
    03-03-13 11:51 AM
    The closest I would want to see to a bb pc would be the next tablet having a full keyboard dock like that one from Asus that gave you extra battery life and more ports while your tablet was docked, I don't see much point to a BB pc itself as that would cover all my needs other than the ones that would require a full windows machine anyway.
    03-03-13 12:13 PM
    Come on! A PC that can't run Neflix LOL....
    ...No, I don't think so.
    03-03-13 12:17 PM
    I just ordered a Sony Vaio Duo 11. It cost me $1,900. That's a lot of freakin money for a tablet and that's not including the money that Microsoft Office is going to "screw" me out of either. So why'd I do it? Because I have a need for it and Sony is the only company that delivers. I cover a large terriroty for my job and I really dislike carrying around a laptop in a brief case. I have walk into a client's office with my leather binder in one hand and my brief case in the other. It's a cluncky system.

The Duo 11 will fit right in my leather binder, I won't need a $hit pile of papers anymore due to having clients sign right on the touch screen, and.. this little gem will be rocking a 2 Gig processor. It will be nice. But..I hate Windows 8. Unlike BB10, it's ugly and not awesome.. With touch screens entering the workforce and the need to go paperless, I think the whole market is going to start to shift in the next year or so towards tablet computer hybrids.

Thorstein has already eluded to (in several interviews) making a tablet for "mobile computing" to be used for businesses and even hospitals. So if I think they're working on it right now.. And if BlackBerry already had one out, I would have bought that one instead of the rediculously priced Sony. And... it would be probably be more secure too..

BlackBerry can do it. Their Peek and Flow system looks awesome and if they can just take the bugs out and make it work smoothly and flawlessly, and make it look cool as well; I think it'll lend itself well to a tablet/hybrid/computer. I think millions of people just like me would rather use BB10 over Windows 8. It sounds like Thor is already working on one. So I think the next year is going to be pretty exciting for BlackBerry.
    donmateo and Tim-ANC like this.
    03-03-13 12:35 PM
    I would rather see BlackBerry spending time and money on synching their devices with other OS's, maybe going onboard new vehicles with an all purpose dashboard- gps, mini pc, telephone, etc.. I already have to many devices that do almost the same thing. Many of the business people that use BlackBerry phones are probably on the road often like me. Sometimes I wish I could just jump in my van a get going to my next stop without logging in and inputting info through various means. One of the businesses I sub work from is considering making contractors/subs carry IPads with a data plan so you can receive live or close to it synch. Now that Apple has that smaller tablet It looks more doable to them. I would prefer my PlayBook of course. I think BlackBerry could excel in this type of thing.
    03-03-13 01:45 PM