I think BB10 feature-set and quality is AMAZING for a 1.0 release. I have one on pre-order right now with Telus but was lucky enough to have one to evaluate for a day, pretty rock solid. This is an awesome OS!

We often forget that this is the starting line for BB10, feature additions, bug fixes and apps will be quickly forth coming! I have never encountered a 1.0 release as baked as BB10 and with 2-2.5 years of development! I'm an early adopter for everything and have had to deal with a lot of different platform growing pains!

I realize this market is hyper competitive and BB needs to show their A-game, however, lets take a look back shall we?

OS X 10.0 - > I ran classic until 10.3 Panther (>3 years of development)
    Windows Vista -> Went back to XP until 7 (5 years of development)
    Android 1.0 -> What a mess that was. (2+3 years of development)
    Windows Phone 7.0 -> Sold my HTC after a month, garbage. I heard good things about 7.5 but never looked back. (5 Years of development)
    IOS 1.0 -> Leap forward? Yes. Crippled and Missing features? Absolutely. (3 years of development)

Discuss!
    02-02-13 12:22 PM
    I agree completely! BlackBerry 10 is just the starting point. The problem before BB10 was the OS itself was a limiting factor. It could never be as fully featured as iOS, Android, or WP. That's why BB10 is a huge deal. It now enables BlackBerry (I want to say "RIM" here so badly!) to keep up (and, possibly, one day surpass) with its competition. For a v1.0 release, it's extremely impressive on how good BB10 is. Future updates will further evolve the OS and it will grow!
    Charles Martin1 and Biggfoot like this.
    02-02-13 12:35 PM
    This is what I have been saying since the launch. Thank you!!!
    Charles Martin1 likes this.
    02-02-13 12:38 PM
    I think BB10 feature-set and quality is AMAZING for a 1.0 release. I have one on pre-order right now with Telus but was lucky enough to have one to evaluate for a day, pretty rock solid. This is an awesome OS!

We often forget that this is the starting line for BB10, feature additions, bug fixes and apps will be quickly forth coming! I have never encountered a 1.0 release as baked as BB10 and with 2-2.5 years of development! I'm an early adopter for everything and have had to deal with a lot of different platform growing pains!

I realize this market is hyper competitive and BB needs to show their A-game, however, lets take a look back shall we?

OS X 10.0 - > I ran classic until 10.3 Panther (>3 years of development)
    Windows Vista -> Went back to XP until 7 (5 years of development)
    Android 1.0 -> What a mess that was. (2+3 years of development)
    Windows Phone 7.0 -> Sold my HTC after a month, garbage. I heard good things about 7.5 but never looked back. (5 Years of development)
    IOS 1.0 -> Leap forward? Yes. Crippled and Missing features? Absolutely. (3 years of development)

Discuss!
    i would agree with you, the iPhone or Android devices didn't start to really come alive until theiPhone4 and SGS1 even then Android was meh untill the first Nexus S
    Charles Martin1 likes this.
    02-02-13 12:46 PM
    Yep, as Thorsten Heins said during the launch, "This is not the finish line, this is the start line." BlackBerry 10 can and will improve over time, which makes me very excited about the possibilities in the future.
    bluetroll and Gla1ze like this.
    02-02-13 12:47 PM
    It is a 1.0 release of sorts. I suppose you could argue that, like Sailfish or Hauwei (sp.), they are now just a start up company with this release, but realistically they are not.

They have been in this game for a long time, and I thought they had finally got their act together. However, I have read too many articles here and haven't kept a balanced perspective. Looking back at the past few months all the signs were there that this launch was not going to be the "Rising of the Phoenix" scenario that many on this site promoted. I'm sorry, but where was the lazer focus, where were the big surprises, I thought BB was holding "their cards close to their chest" and going to wow us on the launch. So really what flipping game were they changing. Um, ya.

There has been this little let down, again, and looking at the press, it is slowly slipping back into the bash BB phase. Yes there are some fair and balanced articles, and even some rah-rah articles. But more and more, the press are starting the old mantra, "Very few apps" (at least it has shifted to instagram and spotify, instead of skype and netflix); "Too little, too late" (which has now become, "BB just at the starting line", implying that once again they have been left in the dust). And now that the Z10 is out there floating around it is getting picked on for the equally important camera functions in low light, and for being unintuitive or too hard to figure out because there are no buttons (yes because we need a SLR in a phone and all phones are simply intuitive when you pick one up).

I will be buying a Z10 for my wife (after all I promised her one for a late Christmas gift). I'm sure like the playbook it will be enjoyed by her and the rest of our family. But as far as coming out the gates on fire, yes they did that, but in a bad, "stop, drop and roll", kind of way.

So to sum up, I think this is more like a beta release than a 1.0. I think they have finally simply peeved too many people off, over-promised, under-delivered. For a new start up that may not have hurt, as people may be willing to give them the time they need to develop. But for BB, and its past track record, and Thors "we want to get this right" lines, I think the product they have released might be too weak for the masses, or at a bare minimum not enough to really excite people (beyond the die-hards). I truly hope not, I hope it does well overseas and here in Canada. I hope this powers a comeback. But in the US, BB has shot themselves in the foot too many times. And with people's undying willingness to believe anything we see on TV and the interwebs, well, lets just way the power of the media/advertizing (and their ability to brain wash) never ceases to amaze me.
    ccbs likes this.
    02-02-13 01:23 PM
    I can partly agree but this is 2013 where the competition is not what it was in 2007.
    taz323, nquyen, rnhld and 17 others like this.
    02-02-13 01:38 PM
    It is a 1.0 release of sorts. I suppose you could argue that, like Sailfish or Hauwei (sp.), they are now just a start up company with this release, but realistically they are not.

They have been in this game for a long time, and I thought they had finally got their act together. However, I have read too many articles here and haven't kept a balanced perspective. Looking back at the past few months all the signs were there that this launch was not going to be the "Rising of the Phoenix" scenario that many on this site promoted. I'm sorry, but where was the lazer focus, where were the big surprises, I thought BB was holding "their cards close to their chest" and going to wow us on the launch. So really what flipping game were they changing. Um, ya.

There has been this little let down, again, and looking at the press, it is slowly slipping back into the bash BB phase. Yes there are some fair and balanced articles, and even some rah-rah articles. But more and more, the press are starting the old mantra, "Very few apps" (at least it has shifted to instagram and spotify, instead of skype and netflix); "Too little, too late" (which has now become, "BB just at the starting line", implying that once again they have been left in the dust). And now that the Z10 is out there floating around it is getting picked on for the equally important camera functions in low light, and for being unintuitive or too hard to figure out because there are no buttons (yes because we need a SLR in a phone and all phones are simply intuitive when you pick one up).

I will be buying a Z10 for my wife (after all I promised her one for a late Christmas gift). I'm sure like the playbook it will be enjoyed by her and the rest of our family. But as far as coming out the gates on fire, yes they did that, but in a bad, "stop, drop and roll", kind of way.

So to sum up, I think this is more like a beta release than a 1.0. I think they have finally simply peeved too many people off, over-promised, under-delivered. For a new start up that may not have hurt, as people may be willing to give them the time they need to develop. But for BB, and its past track record, and Thors "we want to get this right" lines, I think the product they have released might be too weak for the masses, or at a bare minimum not enough to really excite people (beyond the die-hards). I truly hope not, I hope it does well overseas and here in Canada. I hope this powers a comeback. But in the US, BB has shot themselves in the foot too many times. And with people's undying willingness to believe anything we see on TV and the interwebs, well, lets just way the power of the media/advertizing (and their ability to brain wash) never ceases to amaze me.
    So the launch wasn't as fantastically amazing as you hoped... what launch has been compared to the rumors and speculation ahead of it? There's a stock market saying of "buy on speculation, sell on news". That's a saying because it's true. Have you ever read the rumors/speculation leading up to the next iPhones? Everything is amazing... until the actual launch and it doesn't have nearly the features people hyped it up to be. Does that make every iPhone (or any other highly anticipated product) a beta product?

I'm sorry, but if you're going to follow avidly, expect to be spoiled.
    BB10FTW likes this.
    02-02-13 01:39 PM
    This is why its dumb to call for the death of a platform before its even out. Give it time and lets see what it can do. Early indications are it can do a lot. I know I'm optimistic but I think BB has only scratched the surface of what they are bringing.
    02-02-13 01:47 PM
    I can partly agree but this is 2013 where the competition is not what it was in 2007.
    True. The competition is showing its age and is stale. Lots of motivated, new and exciting entrants now.
    02-02-13 01:50 PM
    Are you referring the lightning speed at which BlackBerry (Research In Motion, at the time) released a steady cadence of updates for the BlackBerry Tablet OS 1.0? You are right, they had 2+ years to deliver a fully functional BlackBerry OS 10 for the new smartphones, and in my opinion it should have been ready for the BlackBerry PlayBook within 48 hours of the BlackBerry 10 Reveal Event. I am buying a BlackBerry Z10 and will be activating it against BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10. With rumours about 40% of available applications for BlackBerry OS 10 being ported Google Android applications that means we have to wade through (70 000 apps x 40%) 28 000 non-native applications to find the true BlackBerry applications.

BlackBerry has absolutely no time left to "get it right". The time has arrived and will quickly pass unless there is considerable movement on the part of Team BlackBerry. We have watched the product demonstrations and have been told the application portfolio is complete. The truth shall be revealed between the UK release on January 31st and the Canada release on February 5th. Whether BlackBerry 10 sells well in the US will largely depend on its success in the UK and Canada; the American Government alone could cause BlackBerry to sink or swim if the adoption rate is not substantial.
    aniym, mikeo007, Darlaten and 2 others like this.
    02-02-13 01:57 PM
    Whos perspective are you talking about. Not mine that's for sure. BlackBerry wants me to adopt to the BB10 phone and give up my Bridge feature on my PlayBook. I don't think so. I'm 3 new phone and 3 new PlayBooks invested in BlackBerry in less than 2 years and this is what I get. Perspective is relative. Yeah I'm hot. Time to weigh my options.
    02-02-13 02:02 PM
    I can't agree.

When iPhone launched, it was their first attempt at a phone, their first OS.

When Android launched, it was their first attempt too.

When BB10 OS launched, it is their last attempt , Blackberry has its foot in the mobile market for many years before BB10, and its reinvented it so to speak, by the sounds of it forgetting what its stood for over all these years.

I refer to some reviews talking about:

* delayed qwerty, sending a BIG F**K you to the die hard fans who stuck with RIM when everyone else had the latest and greatest
    * little customizations that people can't seem to do right out of the box etc

I had a look at the Z10 in stores today, and to be honest, I wasn't comparing it any more to iphone or android, I was comparing it to my Bold 9900, and you know something, currently, believe it or not, my bold stacks up quite ok lol

My bolds peak & flow works much better than BB10.

Example:

BB OS7

I'm in the browser... the red light blinks, I hit the side convinece key button, takes me in to my "Messages" folder with ALL my emails, texts, bbms, twitter etc > When I'm done, I press the back button, and I'm right back to the browser, where I left on... STILL in the SAME position of where I was reading

now the BB10...

In the browser... light blinks, swipe to the right, open message... do what you got to do, swipe back, your now at your active tiles, open the browser again, and start from scratch.

Without fooling myself, the feature is NOT lightyears ahead of my bold, I may not be able to view flash sites (luckily I don't view any that require flash), or turn back time on a picture (gimmick).
    cckgz4, ccbs and torndownunit like this.
    02-02-13 02:03 PM
    Are you referring the lightning speed at which BlackBerry (Research In Motion, at the time) released a steady cadence of updates for the BlackBerry Tablet OS 1.0? You are right, they had 2+ years to deliver a fully functional BlackBerry OS 10 for the new smartphones, and in my opinion it should have been ready for the BlackBerry PlayBook within 48 hours of the BlackBerry 10 Reveal Event. I am buying a BlackBerry Z10 and will be activating it against BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10. With rumours about 40% of available applications for BlackBerry OS 10 being ported Google Android applications that means we have to wade through (70 000 apps x 40%) 28 000 non-native applications to find the true BlackBerry applications.

BlackBerry has absolutely no time left to "get it right". The time has arrived and will quickly pass unless there is considerable movement on the part of Team BlackBerry. We have watched the product demonstrations and have been told the application portfolio is complete. The truth shall be revealed between the UK release on January 31st and the Canada release on February 5th. Whether BlackBerry 10 sells well in the US will largely depend on its success in the UK and Canada; the American Government alone could cause BlackBerry to sink or swim if the adoption rate is not substantial.
    the question you have to ask is how long did it take Google and apple to build iOS and Android? took the same amount of time if not longer for them, and both came out with flaws. RIM is not at a life or death thing like most think, the Z10 release will buy them time to makes sales and revenues to build up more. if RIM was to go out of business it would take a few more years to happen and really a few more years can make BB10 that much better while others are still in the build up stages of their systems. **** BB10 is great now give it a few more months to a year and it'll be killer.

unlike Apple and Google RIM is also building up its services for a new OS type so there is alot more work involved for them then simple using Microsofts Exchange services that have been around for a while now, which RIM has also built their new platform to work on. so again the time it is takign BlackBerry to do what they are doing is astounding weather you want to believe it our not, you can stick your head in the hole that every other US citizen is doing or you can open your eyes to the rest of the world and see what BlackBerry is doing is truly amazing
    02-02-13 02:13 PM
    I can't agree.

When iPhone launched, it was their first attempt at a phone, their first OS.

When Android launched, it was their first attempt too.

When BB10 OS launched, it is their last attempt , Blackberry has its foot in the mobile market for many years before BB10, and its reinvented it so to speak, by the sounds of it forgetting what its stood for over all these years.

I refer to some reviews talking about:

* delayed qwerty, sending a BIG F**K you to the die hard fans who stuck with RIM when everyone else had the latest and greatest
    * little customizations that people can't seem to do right out of the box etc

I had a look at the Z10 in stores today, and to be honest, I wasn't comparing it any more to iphone or android, I was comparing it to my Bold 9900, and you know something, currently, believe it or not, my bold stacks up quite ok lol

My bolds peak & flow works much better than BB10.

Example:

BB OS7

I'm in the browser... the red light blinks, I hit the side convinece key button, takes me in to my "Messages" folder with ALL my emails, texts, bbms, twitter etc > When I'm done, I press the back button, and I'm right back to the browser, where I left on... STILL in the SAME position of where I was reading

now the BB10...

In the browser... light blinks, swipe to the right, open message... do what you got to do, swipe back, your now at your active tiles, open the browser again, and start from scratch.

Without fooling myself, the feature is NOT lightyears ahead of my bold, I may not be able to view flash sites (luckily I don't view any that require flash), or turn back time on a picture (gimmick).
    new to phones or not they knew what they needed to make a comeptative phone the same way BlackBerry does
    richardat likes this.
    02-02-13 02:17 PM
    This particular issue is really annoying me lately. Were all these diehard fans living under a rock when RIM announced that the N-Series would come after the L-Series? We knew this for ages, the QWERTY has not been delayed, they're simply doing exactly what they told us they'd do ages ago.
    02-02-13 02:20 PM
    I agree. As someone said in another thread, this should be the "worst" version of bb10 we will see. Things should only get better
    Gla1ze likes this.
    02-02-13 02:22 PM
    So the launch wasn't as fantastically amazing as you hoped... what launch has been compared to the rumors and speculation ahead of it? There's a stock market saying of "buy on speculation, sell on news". That's a saying because it's true. Have you ever read the rumors/speculation leading up to the next iPhones? Everything is amazing... until the actual launch and it doesn't have nearly the features people hyped it up to be. Does that make every iPhone (or any other highly anticipated product) a beta product?

I'm sorry, but if you're going to follow avidly, expect to be spoiled.
    You are right, I got hyped up and yes you are right there is always little let down after a launch. But the iPhone people kind of expect that it will be little tweak here and a little tweak there, supposedly fine-tune an already accepted OS. That is what Apple sells. But you can already feel that Apple users are getting sick of this too, and if Apple doesn't smarten up they too may be in trouble (well if you can be in trouble with a bazillion dollars in the bank).

BB was lazer focused, taking their time to get it right. So did they? Look outside these forums, heck look inside these forums: G-mail syncing issues, loss of functionality through bridge, people severely choked about the US delays. I don't know kind of seems more beta, than well thought out, to me. As many in this thread have already stated, this is not 2007, it is 2013, they needed to have their ducks in a row, not just put up a fence to keep the stragglers around.
    02-02-13 02:37 PM
    I don't see how the competitor's 1.0 is relevant in this case. If I'm paying 500 plus bucks for a mobile device, my expectations are that the device is on par with iOS/android. Rimm had more than enough time to put together really great product (not saying the Z10 is bad by any means).
    Last edited by MartyMcfly; 02-02-13 at 05:52 PM.
    bekkay, mikeo007, cckgz4 and 1 others like this.
    02-02-13 02:41 PM
    I wouldn't say BB10 was a 1.0 release, the PlayBook was the 1.0 release.
    RIM used the PlayBook for beta testing...
    bekkay likes this.
    02-02-13 02:43 PM
    If BlackBerry was in a different industry, this thread would read as follows:

Ford Model T (X years of development and they launched it with only two-speed transmission)
    Apple 1 (X years of development and only 4K of memory)
    Kodak DC25 (XX years of development and only 493x373 pixels)
    etc, etc.
    02-02-13 02:46 PM
    "If BlackBerry was in a different industry, this thread would read as follows:

Ford Model T (X years of development and they launched it with only two-speed transmission)
    Apple 1 (X years of development and only 4K of memory)
    Kodak DC25 (XX years of development and only 493x373 pixels)
    etc, etc. "

No you missed my point. BB10 is an amazing achievement, a great product and COMPETITIVE TODAY! I know I've used it, unlike others weighing in, and its at the beginning of its lifecycle ready to slingshot.

My point was that historically, comparing BB10 to other platforms, they started as much less polished and problematic platforms/OS's compared to BB10 although ultimately became mature platforms.

You could NOT use OS X 10.0 is 2001 it was THAT bad, IOS 1.0 took away features that many smartphone users at the time were accustomed to in 2007, Windows Phone 7 launched in late 2010 without Cut & Paste. I'm not comparing a Model T to a 2013 Mercedes.

People are being extremely critical on BB10 in its initial release even though its the most baked 1.0 release I've ever used. I guess I'm foolish in expecting the consumer to appreciate the technical achievement.
    Last edited by agolongo; 02-02-13 at 04:42 PM.
    02-02-13 03:35 PM
    My point was that historically, comparing BB10 to other platforms, they started as much less polished and problematic platforms/OS's compared to BB10 although ultimately became mature platforms.
    They were much less polished and problematic OSs by today's standards. Those OSs were also competitive "TODAY" ("today" being their respective launch dates). You probably don't remember 2007.
    02-02-13 03:54 PM
    What BlackBerry had to do was give BB users a reason not to leave. To stop the hemorrhaging. I think they accomplished that with a phone and OS that has a lot of potential.
    The hardware is good. Maybe the next phones will be the top end ones.
    The point it, the OS is solid and with some refinements, can be every bit as good as any competition out there can hope to be. Apps will come if consumers buy the phones in enough quantity to warrant it.
    The maps app can be improved with time too.
    This is just their attempt to get back in the race and over time they can win back former customers and their competitions' customers.
    02-02-13 04:09 PM
    Whos perspective are you talking about. Not mine that's for sure. BlackBerry wants me to adopt to the BB10 phone and give up my Bridge feature on my PlayBook. I don't think so. I'm 3 new phone and 3 new PlayBooks invested in BlackBerry in less than 2 years and this is what I get. Perspective is relative. Yeah I'm hot. Time to weigh my options.
    I thought BlackBerry had confirmed BlackBerry Bridge for BlackBerry Z10 will work with BlackBerry PlayBook running Tablet OS 2.1. Confused now.
    02-02-13 04:13 PM
82 123 ...