Great post btw

Posted via CB10
    Then give the man a "like" why don't ya. Lol.
    08-01-13 03:50 PM
    You know, when I first heard that BB10 would connect directly to ActiveSync, I had the same thought, but that's a VERY limited view.

AS connectivity is great for customers who ran BES Express before. People who maybe had a Small Business Server and a dozen or so users. That's a win-win, since BB was no longer stuck supporting a "free" product that was just as complex as its enterprise offering. Agreed, for those customers, ActiveSync is "good enough".

Get past that, though, and it becomes clear very quickly how BES10 is useful. It allows just a stupid level of device management and security. As a BES admin, I can wipe a user's whole phone, or just the "work" partition. I can put policies in place to disable the camera (some companies need that). I can put iPhones and Androids and OS7 phones all on the same management interface. Oh, and for those iPhones and Androids? BB charges $99 per year for those guys to be on BES10, so that's a nice ongoing revenue stream.

I think BES10 is actually one of the brightest spots in BB's product portfolio right now.
    I think the big picture, however, is that fewer and fewer companies care enough about those things to pay for them. I think the overall Blackberry market share numbers wouldn't be what they are if enough companies were willing to pay for them.
    08-01-13 04:31 PM
    Hey great post. Can you tell us how many phones are on your BES10? How many are IOS BB10 and how many are android? How much is BlackBerry making per BB10 device? 50.00 a year? Also so in BES10 cameras can be disabled in IOS and also android?

Posted via CB10
    Glad you liked it :-)

We currently have a fleet of about 60 BB10 phones on our BES. We're trying out Secure Workspace on iOS, but we haven't actually deployed it to users.

At this point we only have two BYOD users in the whole company. I'm one of them.

From the awesome PHYSICAL keyboard of my Q10
    08-01-13 04:52 PM
    I think the big picture, however, is that fewer and fewer companies care enough about those things to pay for them. I think the overall Blackberry market share numbers wouldn't be what they are if enough companies were willing to pay for them.
    You're kidding, right? MDM is for management and security. The company that starts to compromise either of these things is in trouble.

In my case, my employer doesn't have a choice. We work in a regulatory and business environment where we HAVE to manage devices that closely. For us, it's either MDM or no mobile at all.

08-01-13 04:57 PM
    You're kidding, right? MDM is for management and security. The company that starts to compromise either of these things is in trouble.

In my case, my employer doesn't have a choice. We work in a regulatory and business environment where we HAVE to manage devices that closely. For us, it's either MDM or no mobile at all.

No, I'm not kidding. And our opinions aside, the numbers tell the story. There wouldn't be discussions about whether BB can survive if a large percentage of corporate users still felt they needed that much control. Maybe your company does, but a lot of companies have decided it isn't cost effective or the numbers would not be what they are. It's really that simple. A lot of corporate users have gone to BYOD or give people iPhones or Android. I even know of one health care site for years insisted on BB for control. They use iPhones now.
    08-01-13 09:19 PM
    No, I'm not kidding. And our opinions aside, the numbers tell the story. ... but a lot of companies have decided it isn't cost effective or the numbers would not be what they are. It's really that simple.
    BlackBerry Enterprise Server Hits 18,000 Installations Including 60%+ of US Fortune 500

Well, you know what they say; You want to like the people you envy, do what they do.

Fortune 500 companies aren't on the list because they make bad decisions with their money.
    08-02-13 06:37 AM
    No, I'm not kidding. And our opinions aside, the numbers tell the story. There wouldn't be discussions about whether BB can survive if a large percentage of corporate users still felt they needed that much control. Maybe your company does, but a lot of companies have decided it isn't cost effective or the numbers would not be what they are. It's really that simple. A lot of corporate users have gone to BYOD or give people iPhones or Android. I even know of one health care site for years insisted on BB for control. They use iPhones now.
    The world is a fickle place. Never forget that

Posted via CB10
    08-02-13 01:09 PM
    Thanks for those numbers LoganSix. Those are interesting and a bit surprising to me. But that leaves me wondering still how a 50% increase in BES installs leaves the overall picture on device sales.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-13 06:59 PM
    Look, not all companies are even ALLOWED to expose ActiveSync as it is viewed to be a security risk. If these companies want mobile at all, they need to use a secure MDM solution.

Getting past that, once you get past a couple of dozen handsets, yes, security and manageability become serious issues. What do you do if a mobile worker's phone gets stolen? What happens when you terminate someone? Especially when that someone has been using their own phone? If you don't use some form of MDM you run the risk of that employee walking off with confidential material.

Some of this stuff is not even up to a business to decide on their own. Their customers (like, say, the government or the banking industry, for instance) may demand that level of security. Regulators may require it. And, if they're big and busy enough, common sense may require it.
    08-03-13 01:43 AM
    BlackBerry Enterprise Server Hits 18,000 Installations Including 60%+ of US Fortune 500

Well, you know what they say; You want to like the people you envy, do what they do.

Fortune 500 companies aren't on the list because they make bad decisions with their money.
    something needs to be very clear here, BES10 has a free trial, and the figures give only the indication of installs since BES10 launched, which includes trial installs, so 18k installs does not nessecarily equate to 18k paying businesses. I`m not even going to pretend I know either, but it needs to be clear that the data is missing the important figure of how many are paying and how many are still in `free trial` mode.
    08-03-13 06:04 AM
    I don't think we should be that hard on original poster. If you have a BlackBerry phone but are not on BES it's hard to conceive what it is and why it's important to BlackBerry and it really isn't important to a consumer with a BlackBerry phone who needs bug fixes.
    Like there's a problem with my Mercedes and I complain about it and get a torrent of posts telling me how well Mercedes are doing in formula one? And how stupid one is for not knowing that. It's what really gets people's back up!

Posted via CB10
    08-03-13 06:44 AM

14,000 out of the 18,000 is in India.
    08-03-13 08:06 AM
    something needs to be very clear here, BES10 has a free trial, and the figures give only the indication of installs since BES10 launched, which includes trial installs, so 18k installs does not nessecarily equate to 18k paying businesses. I`m not even going to pretend I know either, but it needs to be clear that the data is missing the important figure of how many are paying and how many are still in `free trial` mode.
    Let's be clear. BES 10 is a free installation. You pay for the phones on the BES.
    08-03-13 08:16 AM
    14,000 out of the 18,000 is in India.
    So?

Posted via CB10
    08-03-13 10:22 AM
    So?

Posted via CB10
    It shows lack of interest for BB10 and BES 10 around the world.
    That would be a cause for concern.
    08-03-13 10:30 AM
    Read the article. It doesn't say where the 18k installs are based. Where are you getting your information?

Posted via CB10
    08-04-13 04:21 AM
    Read the article. It doesn't say where the 18k installs are based. Where are you getting your information?

Posted via CB10
    Sunil Lalvani
    08-04-13 04:42 AM
    So, the other 4,000 companies large enough to have BES means what?
    And the 60% of Fortune 500 companies shows that it isn't world wide, because they are based in America?
    08-04-13 07:48 AM
    So, the other 4,000 companies large enough to have BES means what?
    Absolutely nothing.

80% of interest in testing bes 10 is in India.

And the 60% of Fortune 500 companies shows that it isn't world wide, because they are based in America?
    300 US companies downloaded a trial of bes 10.
    Then what. Nothing. It's not translating into sales. For all we know it was deleted a week or a month later.
    08-04-13 08:40 AM
    Look, not all companies are even ALLOWED to expose ActiveSync as it is viewed to be a security risk. If these companies want mobile at all, they need to use a secure MDM solution.

Getting past that, once you get past a couple of dozen handsets, yes, security and manageability become serious issues. What do you do if a mobile worker's phone gets stolen? What happens when you terminate someone? Especially when that someone has been using their own phone? If you don't use some form of MDM you run the risk of that employee walking off with confidential material.

Some of this stuff is not even up to a business to decide on their own. Their customers (like, say, the government or the banking industry, for instance) may demand that level of security. Regulators may require it. And, if they're big and busy enough, common sense may require it.
    I get that but it isn't the issue. Are there enough companies like that and do they deploy enough devices under BES? That is the question. Basically, the numbers don't make sense to me. The BES number shows a 50% increase it seems. That doesn't even seem close to the device sales numbers. That is the issue I raised. And I still haven't heard an explanation for it although the fact that BES is free and organizations may be trying it out may be part of it. I think it is also undeniable that many companies have decided that iPhones and Android over SSL is good enough for many of their users. Again, the sales of those devices to corporate clients seem to make that pretty obvious.
    08-05-13 07:09 AM
    300 US companies downloaded a trial of bes 10.
    Then what. Nothing. It's not translating into sales. For all we know it was deleted a week or a month later.
    BES is free. The phones on BES is the cost.
    After you get it through trails in the company on BES, then you upgrade the phones when the lease cycle is over.
    Rowan M likes this.
    08-05-13 07:30 AM
46 12