We're all speculating whats going to happen to RIM...will it sink or swim, will BB10 make it out the door etc etc. Every point (i think) debated to death, so i thought maybe it would be fun to debate how the actual device will work logistically assuming its come to market...and theres afew questions i have.

So, its 6 months from now, I've got my hands on my shiny new BB10. I take it home, its fully charged. Do you think the device will be 'backwards compatable' in terms of the data i have on my current BB? i.e...will i be able to do a straight 'device transfer' to put all my contacts, email settings, messages, saved data and device settings etc across onto the new device or...as this is essentaily a completly new phone and new os, will it be like i've jumped to a different device and i'll have to start over and input everything again manually?

The apps i currently have on my BB....we know they (probably) wont work with the new BB10 os, so what happens to any paid apps i have on my phone. Do you think i'll be offered a free upgrade (if a smiliar app is avaliable for bb10) or will i just have to lump it and leave them behind?

These are all very small, probably insignificant questions given RIM's current state...but I thought maybe we could get back to the fun of debating and speculating the device, rather than getting tied up in the 'business'.

So....thoughts? How do you think its all going to work?
    06-06-12 07:01 AM
    I think you should get used to the idea that you are buying a completely new platform. I wouldn't expect much to be transferable. If we are lucky, contacts (including BBM) and calendar items will be transferred. I, however, have already started moving everything to the cloud (contacts and calendar to Google). Email should sync fine. Media on the media card should be easy to move over.

Apps are going to be a different matter. I use some niche apps like:

SportyPal, CardStar, Fancy Characters, Easy Smiley Pack, Google Authenticator, Audible and Easy Lock.

I'm guessing many of them are going by the wayside for a good long time. There are work-arounds for some and some are cosmetic and therefore not critical. I would really miss Audible and SportyPal though.
    06-06-12 07:26 AM
    I would think with Blackberry Id you would be able to transfer some of your settings over, but is probably to early to know at this point. If not hopefully we will be able to pull contacts from google(if you have a gmail account). As far as apps, I would hope we will be able to just update our apps through BB world if it has been ported over to BB10.
    06-06-12 07:28 AM
    The PIM information has to transfer from old BB to BB10 or their will be to pay in the press. Apps is another issue but if i had to pay for those I'd be ok with that. Just as long as the ones I already bought for the Palybook are there and load up.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Crackberry App!
    06-06-12 07:59 AM
    I predict the first smartphone running BlackBerry 10 will be underwhelming and we will be cursing Research In Motion for producing essentially an Android/iPhone clone. To avoid such a fate, BlackBerry 10 released on a BlackBerry smartphone using the Corning flexi-glass technology would not only provide that RIM can innovate, it wold signal the dawn of a new era in mobile communications. An all-touch first-release device under the BlackBerry brand needs to embrace such a revolutionary design; it combines the best of all-touch, smooth flowing user interface, and aesthetics. Anything less than a superbly-designed smartphone will trigger the chorus to and metaphorically mark the funeral of the BlackBerry.
    06-06-12 08:02 AM
    I predict the first smartphone running BlackBerry 10 will be underwhelming and we will be cursing Research In Motion for producing essentially an Android/iPhone clone. To avoid such a fate, BlackBerry 10 released on a BlackBerry smartphone using the Corning flexi-glass technology would not only provide that RIM can innovate, it wold signal the dawn of a new era in mobile communications. An all-touch first-release device under the BlackBerry brand needs to embrace such a revolutionary design; it combines the best of all-touch, smooth flowing user interface, and aesthetics. Anything less than a superbly-designed smartphone will trigger the chorus to and metaphorically mark the funeral of the BlackBerry.
    Your not going to see WILLOW glass on the upcoming BB10. However, I did just buy some more Corning (GLW).
    06-06-12 08:17 AM
    first off, the transition to bb10 won't be too much different than the transition from bb6 to bb7. secondly, there is reason to believe there will be enough new capability to whett a few appetites. with all playing out as it is, there's reason to be optimistic rim will invest energy in getting bb10 to comsumers promptly and complete rather than drag things out. so, for those of us waiting to jump, let's keep fingers crossed!
    06-06-12 08:36 AM
    I would think that transferring PIM data would be done via DM. Apps will NOT be backwards compatible as they are 2 totally different platforms. Other than that, I'll be loving my new BB10 device. I don't mind starting all over again if it means I have a killer device in my hands.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    06-06-12 08:54 AM
    Come on we have all seen the official and unofficial (there is a great thread here on crackberry) sneak peaks of BB10. The browser is already a confirmed beats so I think BB10 is anything but underwhelming.
    RIM should just marry it to great hardware and then get the current traditional BB OS functions onto it at launch. I think the fluidity of QNX will carry the day.
    No self respecting smartphone user would dare sniff at it.
    Then they can tweak it their leisure.
    06-06-12 09:17 AM
    The thing is: the OS may be brand new, but if everything has a backup in the cloud, it isn't much of an issue to get at least the contacts, messages and mail off of it to the new BB10 devices, right? I could see how complete transfers are practically impossible but the information in your current Blackberrys should be transferable.

I would be more interested in how they translate BB10 onto physical keyboard models, that could be interesting...if they get anything resembling a BOLD I would be happy as a snapper, but no Torch pls...haha
    Last edited by Speedygi; 06-06-12 at 10:17 AM.
    06-06-12 10:12 AM
    Well, that shouldn't be a problem if RIM reinvents BB's new OS. BlackBerry is struggling against Android and iOS and reports have shown that investors are shying away from BB. So in a way, it's a welcome move, which would make BB OS 10 really interesting and application friendly.
    06-06-12 10:20 AM
    I'm hoping that the OS comes pre-loaded with enough standard applications to make allot of the more popular add-on apps unnecessary. Weather & navigation/maps (not BB traffic/maps!!) should be a standard piece of a premium OS experience. Enhanced voice searching (does not have to be Siri like on launch, but can't be bb7.5 either). The addition of full flash will open up enough of the web while we wait for specialized apps. And finally - if like the PB it has an android player to side load load android apps, you will have the whole of the Android library at your disposal, not to mention a viable alternative to android, without losing any $ invested in that ecosystem.

The practicality of moving info is another question altogether. I have always relied on the BES to set up everything back on a new or replacement device. Since BB10 will not interact with the BES in the same way, this is a good question, that I can only hope RIM has been working on at least a Desktop Manager to make the process a 'cake walk'. Anything cumbersome or not easily discoverable will be blown up to catastrophic proportions.
    Last edited by 1magine; 06-06-12 at 10:27 AM.
    06-06-12 10:24 AM
    I wonder if BB10 will have a BB7 emulator. If it can run Android apps, can they make it run BB7 apps?
    06-06-12 10:34 AM
    What I imagine from RIM in 6 months?

RIM announces BB OS10 will be released "Soon™", with expected street date of 2nd Q 2013. RIM Stock hits an all time low of 6.92 per share with more expected lay-offs.

Seriously though. I'm a RIM fanboy, but even I'm getting a little aggravated here
    06-06-12 10:40 AM
    In six months i'll be carrying the same Bold 9650 I have right now, so nothing changes for me. I can only hope the best for RIM's release of BB10, and if they really loved me, they'd create that TK Victory for later next year when my contract ends
    06-06-12 11:42 AM
    And finally - if like the PB it has an android player to side load load android apps, you will have the whole of the Android library at your disposal, not to mention a viable alternative to android, without losing any $ invested in that ecosystem
    Unfortunately, there's still the limitation of not being able to use Google specific libraries. Some Android investment will be lost.
    06-06-12 12:46 PM
    I wonder if BB10 will have a BB7 emulator. If it can run Android apps, can they make it run BB7 apps?
    I saw somewhere that RIM didn't want to license Java (not Javascript) further from Oracle and that's why it isn't available on the Playbook for running BB7 apps.
    06-06-12 12:49 PM
    I think you should get used to the idea that you are buying a completely new platform. I wouldn't expect much to be transferable. If we are lucky, contacts (including BBM) and calendar items will be transferred. I, however, have already started moving everything to the cloud (contacts and calendar to Google). Email should sync fine. Media on the media card should be easy to move over.

Apps are going to be a different matter. I use some niche apps like:

SportyPal, CardStar, Fancy Characters, Easy Smiley Pack, Google Authenticator, Audible and Easy Lock.

I'm guessing many of them are going by the wayside for a good long time. There are work-arounds for some and some are cosmetic and therefore not critical. I would really miss Audible and SportyPal though.
    I've been thinking about this with regards to some of the niche apps I have on my phone. I've concluded the best idea is to email the developer of the app and ask them if they're developing for BB10. Possibly pointing out that if it's a webworks app, moving it across won't be too hard and if not, they can always re-write using cascades and make it beautiful.

No. See below for why.

I saw somewhere that RIM didn't want to license Java (not Javascript) further from Oracle and that's why it isn't available on the Playbook for running BB7 apps.
    It's not because of that, as they will still be selling BB7 phones in some locations after BB10 launches and that will still require a licence from Oracle. It's because they just couldn't get the same performance or quality from BB7 emulator that they wanted. Android isn't that bad, but isn't great, but can scale to screens. Relatively, BB7 screens are tiny so this would look awful on a large screen BB10 device.

To the OP, it depends upon how the developer lists the as to transfer of apps. Some BBOS apps such as pixelated are shown as the same app in my app list so they will still be there - but the number of these apps is small, and on the whole I'd prefer they started with a clean slate, especially considering how few paid BBOS apps I have. As for paid apps on the PB (and free but it matters less), I suspect it will be much the same, if they have a designated tablet version and a designated phone version you'll need to repurchase. If they have just one version, it'll be available to download when you start. I'm hoping most will opt for the latter but I know Rovio doesn't tend to but it will have Angry Birds for .99p/c (whatever your currency).
    06-06-12 01:12 PM
    Backwards compatibility is a bad thing sometimes. Microsoft did it and forgot to do something about their current product so they messed up BIG time.

So errrrr..... Android is pretty cool no issues but Java on QNX?

And some apps need some phone functions that will be no accessible from the new phone.
    That's stupid.

Admit it bros (and sis)
    That java is dead now.

We need to work on it.

Get out of the lane, press the accelerator and drive it through to the freeway baby!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 on 7.1.0.342 with Tapatalk and my fingers
    06-06-12 01:28 PM
    It's not because of that, as they will still be selling BB7 phones in some locations after BB10 launches and that will still require a licence from Oracle. It's because they just couldn't get the same performance or quality from BB7 emulator that they wanted. Android isn't that bad, but isn't great, but can scale to screens. Relatively, BB7 screens are tiny so this would look awful on a large screen BB10 device.
    The post I read implied that BB10/Playbook/QNX would require a separate license for use of Java. As it stands now, Java isn't available on the Playbook and there are websites that just don't work. It seems that if RIM had a general Java license, they would make Java available on the Playbook, to make the Playbook browser as close to the desktop as possible.

Keeping BB7 apps off the Playbook/BB10 due to performance issues, I can understand. Screen scaling isn't much, no worse than pixel doubling. Older BB apps running on BB7 require scaling and it doesn't look too bad.
    06-06-12 02:22 PM
    The post I read implied that BB10/Playbook/QNX would require a separate license for use of Java. As it stands now, Java isn't available on the Playbook and there are websites that just don't work. It seems that if RIM had a general Java license, they would make Java available on the Playbook, to make the Playbook browser as close to the desktop as possible.
    The BBOS browser doesn't have java either. The java for BBOS is for the OS to run. That's probably the idea behind different licences. It wouldn't mean they couldn't create a BBOS VM.

Keeping BB7 apps off the Playbook/BB10 due to performance issues, I can understand. Screen scaling isn't much, no worse than pixel doubling. Older BB apps running on BB7 require scaling and it doesn't look too bad.
    Well firstly consider most BB screens are 4:3/3:2 ratio and the BB10 phone will be 16:9 (approx). Secondly, considering these apps have a resolution of 240x360, stretched to cover 480x360, stretching it to 1280x768 (at least) it will look horrific. Apps should look good as well as perform well.
    06-06-12 03:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD