We ALL talk about it on our beloved BlackBerry's. We ALL want it. RIM will NOT give it to us unless we make our voices HEARD.

I JUST created a facebook Group '100,000 for RIM to listen! BLACKBERRY USERS UNITE!' and I think we should ALL work at getting one or 2 people to help spread the word to get a bunch of people to join. May be NOTHING, but i for one can say I have not seen a earnest effort on the endusers side to get RIM to change the status-quo and give us the ability (which I am SURE can be done) to make apps save to media cards instead. Heck, Palm did it how many years ago?

This may be nothing, or it can be the spark we need to make our amazing devices EVEN more amazing!

Linky: www . facebook . com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=194741072336
    11-14-09 11:02 PM
    Just joined
    11-15-09 06:58 AM
    Good idea, but a more effective way to promote technological change within a capitalistic society is to vote with your wallet. Money talks. Competition forces advances.

Are you willing to buy a Droid?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-15-09 07:06 AM
    Im NOT sure if I want to JOIN... my USE of capital letters to ACCENTUATE my plea for group MEMBERS is running RAMPANT.
    11-15-09 07:30 AM
    Good idea, but a more effective way to promote technological change within a capitalistic society is to vote with your wallet. Money talks. Competition forces advances.

Are you willing to buy a Droid?

I'm willing and ready. I cannot wait to have my droid!
    11-15-09 09:25 AM
    RIM, or as I like to call them, RISM (Research In Slow Motion) isn't going
    to give a damn about this.
    11-15-09 12:51 PM
    I personally don't care for this. The only thing this promotes and supports is the rampant use of worthless apps. While having a good variety and selection of apps is important, having too many is taking 2 steps back instead of one forward.

Other phones have done this as a selling point. Not as an actual advantage. All of the phones that would support this will probably be newer phones and they all have plenty of space for plenty of apps. At little more than a couple MB per app (which as far as I know is where most apps fall), having 256MB of space allows for over 100 apps. Do you really need that many apps? Can you even really use all of them at once? Backing them up to the card is one thing, saving the data from those apps on a card is one thing, but running them from the card is much different and over the top. It compromises security and slows not only the program down, but also the phone.

I'd much rather see saving MMS/SMS/Emails to my card (which may be possible at this point, haven't really checked). I also agree that RIM won't really care for this. I'd rather see a group on Facebook to support RIM making a better/faster browser.
    11-15-09 01:23 PM
    Too funny!

11-15-09 10:20 PM
    I highly doubt RIM, a multibillion dollar global company, will give a crap about some silly little facebook group asking for a technological device feature change.
    I do however like your gumption with that can do attitude starting the group.

11-15-09 11:38 PM
    Impossible. The way the Blackberry OS runs, installing applications on removable storage is never going to happen. Wrong file system. You would never be able to remove the card without wiping and reloading the OS.

That's why RIM ignores this issue.
    Carry on though. Optimism is good for the soul.
    11-15-09 11:52 PM
    :-) nice one.

11-16-09 12:08 AM
    Impossible. The way the Blackberry OS runs, installing applications on removable storage is never going to happen. Wrong file system. You would never be able to remove the card without wiping and reloading the OS.

That's why RIM ignores this issue.
    Carry on though. Optimism is good for the soul.
    Is this true?
    11-17-09 11:00 AM
    Is this true?
    Without a journalizing filesystem, applications and data on the removable storage have to stay exactly where they are, or the location has to be changed manually if/when either is moved.

The BB OS uses fat32 formatting for the removable storage, which does not journalize. The user has no access to the BB OS file system, and can not tell the OS they have "moved" an app or it's data.

Move something, start the phone, try to access the data or app, java errors and freezes. Also you're unable to uninstall the app you moved, as the OS has no idea where it is, so the only way to fix the errors will be to wipe + reload.

Support for a journalizing file system could probably be put into the OS, but not as it stands.

Then you have the whole security dilemma with apps and their data that can be read and written by another device, then "injected" into the BB OS.
    11-17-09 11:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD