God forbid the day comes when RIM must assimilate with another entity to survive. BB 10 will hopefully put RIM back on track. If RIM was bought up what partners seem like a good match to keep RIM growing and innovative?

I think a company like Cisco Systems should acquire RIM if the day ever comes. BB 10 and powerful wireless connections with the company's network management expertise, could make for amazing Mobile Fusion. AND video connections with Cisco WebEx for business could really shake the Enterprise side in favor of RIM. Who knows it wouldn't be incredibly odd, Cisco recently discontinued one of it's consumer products the Flip Video cameras. So a foray into the handset/software market wouldn't be alllll that crazy right ;P

Who'd be a good partner if a time comes where Blackberry/ RIMM need one?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-03-12 09:53 PM
    I'd like to see them partner with Amazon.

And Garmin.
    CairnsRock likes this.
    04-03-12 09:55 PM
    Ford!

I want Ford to buy RIM,

QNX integrated into the Ford Vehicle line up
    Ford Bringing BES controls to fleet vehicles,
    Increased importance on media consumption such as music and music sharing due to the nature of car audio, so services like BBM Music could become an in car solution,
    Co Branding between Cars and Device models,
    refined business and manufacturing process with an amazing CEO.
    shared investment in GPS technology and improvements
    Bringing mobile technology into the car as the QNX Auto teams talks about, they really could do it, AND license technology to other Auto players
    04-03-12 10:00 PM
    Volkswagen Auto Group... They already work with RIM. Porsche designed BlackBerry... QNX Porsche...

A FREE Porsche of choice with the purchase of a BlackBerry 10 device... That campaign would certainly take Apple out of business. heheh
    04-03-12 10:10 PM
    Amazon's media and QNX OS. Power houseeee. Garmin too would be interesting especially if we DO think about cars. I'd love to just push my playbook into my dash and boot up a native QNX app for functioning the some of the cars electrical components. QNX is the closest OS to the car industry, however they sell more phones than cars...

04-03-12 10:23 PM
    I gotta say. As boring as Cisco is, they do own the enterprise telephony market. (non wireless).
    04-03-12 10:27 PM
    Volkswagen Auto Group... They already work with RIM. Porsche designed BlackBerry... QNX Porsche...

A FREE Porsche of choice with the purchase of a BlackBerry 10 device... That campaign would certainly take Apple out of business. heheh

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    04-03-12 10:27 PM
    Cisco would be kind of an interesting choice, actually.

But frankly I want to see RIM build some value for itself before it gets acquired.
    04-03-12 10:31 PM
    Michael Dell will be the buyer I think. Either that or a big Hedge Fund. They've already knocked back Amazon. That ship has sailed, and I think Amazon are counting themselves lucky.
    04-03-12 11:12 PM
    RIM should buy RIM

2 Billion in cash and 7 Billion market cap. Thor should just say 'we are cancelling BB10, and becoming another android OEM' then say 'we are handing things over to Balsillie to be in charge of everything and eliminating all upper management'. That should hopefully create enough negative sentiment to drop the market cap low enough so RIM can buy out all remaining stock. Feasible? no, realistic? probably not. But its an idea.
    04-03-12 11:37 PM
    The two most likely to make a play to acquire RIM would probably still be Amazon and Microsoft. They are the two who have expressed the greatest interest in the recent past and both have deep pockets. There are much worse fates than being owned by either company. I seriously doubt Dell could manage it since they have struggled due to the economy and their failed mobile device platforms.
    04-03-12 11:52 PM
    I can't see it happening while the stock price is this high.

Ford and every other automaker learned their lesson with Delco/Perot Systems/countless other fiascos, and would never even consider it. They can remain nimble, and select whatever player delivers the best value for each development cycle. They know what happens as soon as they buy a tech company and bet everything on it... it becomes an albatross for a decade.

Amazon/AT&T/Canon/Garmin/Microsoft/etc/etc are not going to spend $7 BILLION dollars for something they can buy for $5 billion in 90 days (if trends continue) when they know that RIM's assets deliver a lower level of profitability than their own.

Accretive Acquisition Definition | Investopedia

"It can be a takeover target, just like what happened to Motorola when it was purchased by Google. Motorola has 17,000 patents, with 7,500 pending. RIM, well, has 2,033 patents. Motorola was acquired at $12.5 billion, which makes RIM a $1.5 billion acquisition target. Moreover, Motorola's hardware was a decent fit for Google's Android. Any company acquiring RIM for its intellectual property will have to face a thousand headaches to get rid of RIM's hardware business. There are no potential suitors in the market that fit RIM well. Patent trolls can be very interested in acquiring RIM. But they wouldn't chip out that much cash for intellectual properties."

Research In Motion Has No Way Out - Seeking Alpha

I'm NOT agreeing with "No Way Out" but I agree that the acquisition value is far under the current market cap. An acquirer of RIM needs to be ready for one thing... the acquiring company's market cap drops by AT LEAST $4 billion the day a $7 billion acquisition is announced. Who, other than Apple, can afford $4 billion lopped off the share price in one day? And Apple isn't a buyer at this stage.

Gonna have to develop and sell their way out of this one. I really like the idea of ONE full touchscreen BB10 "home run" phone delivered on-time or EARLY with a VERY aggressive trade in policy for loyal 2011/2012 BB7 purchasers. It's the one thing that will work. I actually think they can do it, if they FOCUS.

Forget tablets, the non-iPad tablet market is too small to matter, and Amazon will thrive in that sliver.
    Last edited by RIMvanWinkle; 04-04-12 at 07:53 AM.
    04-04-12 07:16 AM
    There's no reason to "fan the fire" until after BB10 is launched
    04-04-12 07:46 AM
    RIM should buy RIM

2 Billion in cash and 7 Billion market cap. Thor should just say 'we are cancelling BB10, and becoming another android OEM' then say 'we are handing things over to Balsillie to be in charge of everything and eliminating all upper management'. That should hopefully create enough negative sentiment to drop the market cap low enough so RIM can buy out all remaining stock. Feasible? no, realistic? probably not. But its an idea.
    Millions of investors literally just wet themselves. The next time you wish to invoke "he who shall not be named," please offer your end-of-post disclaimer at the beginning. Their dry cleaners will thank you.
    04-04-12 08:00 AM
    I want to see McDonalds buy out RIM. A McBerry would be mighty tasty!LOL
    04-04-12 09:22 AM

Those that know me well, know I openly admit to being a McDonalds fan boy, if I was ever to get a company brand tattoo it would be the golden arches lol!

I would so buy the BigMac BlackBerry, and while at McDonalds, get my BlackBerry Pie, BlackBerry Shake, and BlackBerry Muffin

Pay for my payments via NFC on my BlackBerry, and add my favourite McDoanlds locations to BBM to get exclusive location discounts and promotions.

The little toy BlackBerry's in Happy meals, distributed BlackBerry's at discounts to Employee's locking up the teenage market segment,
    Oh the fun!
    04-04-12 09:29 AM

Should we get another petition started?? lmao
    I wouldnt mind a mcdonalds app... if only it could food delivered to me..

04-04-12 09:53 AM
    Aside from getting me hungry!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    There really are a lot of venues for the Playbook if aquisiton happens look at Cisco's Cius, i can easily see it booting out Android.

Cisco Cius Android tablet hands-on (video) -- Engadget

This is an business device, it's all about attacking the market correctly which we know RIMM is sluggish and poor at. When it comes to RIM's survival I'd rather have them in the hands of let's say Cisco than McDoanlds
    04-04-12 10:11 AM
    If it happens it will be Microsoft/Nokia.
    04-04-12 11:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD