So there are 75 million+ bb users? Why the f@*# are we being ignored? Let's do some of that crackberry stuff and let these developers know there is a demand! So many people complain about a lack of apps, why can't we be proactive about it and tell every one of them we are relevant! There is a grass roots effort to get tango.me(multi platform video chat) on the PlayBook, so show some support and make it happen. Once we get a few big names, the others will hopefully follow.
    02-17-12 04:07 AM
    Just develop your own apps dude. Do you think developers were born that way or something? The reason why there are so many apps on other platforms is because those platforms & communities encourage development, like the huge android development community on xda. If you want to port over a popular app, do it yourself. If you love blackberry and must have one for whatever reason, provide for yourself and make it how you want it to be. You guys shouldn't be encouraging developers (who also happen to be users as well) to develop for a platform they probably are not interested in. Instead taking it a step further. RIM needs to also encourage development as well. Going forward they have to be more open with their community about their software. But it really starts with the people that are interested; you. More than likely the audience you are trying to win over is not going to listen/care. It isn't as if these people aren't aware of blackberry, they just have no interest. So instead focus energy on people who do care about blackberry. That's being proactive.

/motivational speech

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ynomrah; 02-17-12 at 05:18 AM.
    Maliberti likes this.
    02-17-12 04:56 AM
    I can't hack, code, or develop, so I'm SOL. No skills, period.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-17-12 06:29 AM
    I can't hack, code, or develop, so I'm SOL. No skills, period.
    Yeah i'm with that. BASIC got too complicated for me
    I'm missing that part of the brain or something. I'm just a janitor
    02-17-12 07:43 AM
    So there are 75 million+ bb users? Why the f@*# are we being ignored?
    You realise that most of those "75 million" users are in "developing" countries right? And most of those users are probably using something like a Curve, on OS 4 or 5..so I doubt that apps are high on their priority list..
    02-17-12 07:53 AM
    Since RIM isn't exactly transparent about their actual number of subscribers (not reporting the same kind of numbers as competing manufacturers, changing what they count and how, etc.) does anybody know what RIM defines as 'a user' ?

What does that number, 75 million, actually mean? Is it people using their pin every day, several times a week or what? Is it somebody just registering a device? What if somebody activates their Bold, and never uses it again, would that count? Could anybody shed some light on this?
    02-17-12 08:07 AM
    You realise that most of those "75 million" users are in "developing" countries right? And most of those users are probably using something like a Curve, on OS 4 or 5..so I doubt that apps are high on their priority list..
    I'd love to see your stats to back that up. I'm sure you've traveled as much as I have, and have first hand knowledge.
    02-17-12 09:15 AM
    Symbian devices are heavily used in developing countries. People from developing countries tend to have family members who emigrate.
    Skype is available for Symbian to cater for this need.
    The blame for lack of certain core apps unfortunately lies solely at the feet of RIM.
    02-17-12 09:15 AM
    I'd love to see your stats to back that up. I'm sure you've traveled as much as I have, and have first hand knowledge.
    It doesn't take a genius to be able to figure it out. Just look at market share alone. In NA..BB only has like 6% market share now. In the UK (it's biggest share) it's like 25%. That leaves approx 69% of it's users in other countries.

We've seen other graphs that show the Curve as being one the best sellers, and it's no secret that cheap handhelds (such as Curve) are RIM's bread and butter in these "emerging markets" where 2G is standard.

I mean, i'm no detective..but judging from the writing on the wall..it seems pretty clear to me.
    02-17-12 09:22 AM
    It doesn't take a genius to be able to figure it out. Just look at market share alone. In NA..BB only has like 6% market share now. In the UK (it's biggest share) it's like 25%. That leaves approx 69% of it's users in other countries.

We've seen other graphs that show the Curve as being one the best sellers, and it's no secret that cheap handhelds (such as Curve) are RIM's bread and butter in these "emerging markets" where 2G is standard.

I mean, i'm no detective..but judging from the writing on the wall..it seems pretty clear to me.
    OK, I guess you really do know everything afterall. Yes the curve is a best seller, still don't understand what that has to do with what I was asking but thanks for your insightful input.
    02-17-12 09:26 AM
    OK, I guess you really do know everything afterall. Yes the curve is a best seller, still don't understand what that has to do with what I was asking but thanks for your insightful input.
    I guess the point to my original post, was to say simply say that until BB10 happens, you're frustration with lack of apps is going unnoticed. RIM has seemingly been shunned by a lot of the bigger players in app development, probably in large part because their phones weren't able to support higher end apps up until late 2011.

I think over the next few years, we will see this trend reverse however, once BB10 hits the market, and developers begin porting over their already built apps (at least i'm hoping this is the case).
    02-17-12 09:38 AM
    I guess the point to my original post, was to say simply say that until BB10 happens, you're frustration with lack of apps is going unnoticed. RIM has seemingly been shunned by a lot of the bigger players in app development, probably in large part because their phones weren't able to support higher end apps up until late 2011.

I think over the next few years, we will see this trend reverse however, once BB10 hits the market, and developers begin porting over their already built apps (at least i'm hoping this is the case).
    that isn't true at all, rovio made angry birds for the PB because people asked for it.
    02-17-12 09:43 AM
    Most every report I ever seen has mentioned RIM's growth overseas in the low end device markets (CURVE). Which is why many "analyst" believe that RIM will have problems in these markets as cheap Android and Chinese made devices have started invading these markets also. This doesn't mean that RIM's doesn't sell a lot of BOLDS and TORCHES, just that the majority are the lower end. As for OS... who other than RIM really knows.

I do remember that long after the STORM was EOL here in the states, RIM started selling them over in CHINA. If RIM does this regularly in other markets, I wouldn't be surprise if there weren't a large number of OS5 devices out there.

Either way... RIM is concentrating on BB10, they are working very hard to get developers to create apps for the PlayBook or to port over their Android apps to the PlayBook. That way when the BB10 device drop, there will be a pretty good catalog of apps. But that isn't going to help OS4, OS5, OS6 or even OS7 users - many of who are not going to be able to afford to go out and buy these new "premium" BB10 Devices.
    02-17-12 09:48 AM
    But that isn't going to help OS4, OS5, OS6 or even OS7 users - many of who are not going to be able to afford to go out and buy these new "premium" BB10 Devices.
    Right on the money....why some analysts are downplaying the potential qnx has for returning rim to its's "glory days" as far as the stock is concerned. RIM's huge sales growth is due to low-end devices... because of low-end prices. It is doubtful that qnx superphones are going to have sales numbers that come anywhere near an OS 4 curve in Kalmakastanwani (made up country name) where they probably dont even have 3g let alone lte.

Yea RIM is going to be solid and isnt going into bankruptcy, yes they are here to stay but dual-processor lte qnx phones just cannot sell high enough numbers to push the stock back to the $60's+. Consider just how small and narrow your target demographic is.
    02-18-12 06:35 AM
    Where do you expect to find developers to present your demands? If they're here, chances are that they're already developing apps for BB devices. (I'm typing this comment on the PlayBook I got today from the PB developer promotion for ... releasing an app for the playbook)

If you want more apps, I suggest you do as Ynomrah suggests and write some! Developing apps takes time and there is no guarantee that you'll see a return on that investment. I started writing apps as a hobby, having developed BB apps for work for years. It's a way for me to contribute to the BB community while keeping myself productively occupied in my spare time. In short, I write BB apps because I want to.

If someone were to pressure me or otherwise demand that I write for their platform of choice, I don't know that I'd be as receptive as you seem to think I ought to be. I imagine that my immediate response would involve language that is decidedly not family-friendly.
    bobauckland likes this.
    02-18-12 07:41 AM
    Just develop your own apps dude. Do you think developers were born that way or something? The reason why there are so many apps on other platforms is because those platforms & communities encourage development, like the huge android development community on xda. If you want to port over a popular app, do it yourself. If you love blackberry and must have one for whatever reason, provide for yourself and make it how you want it to be. You guys shouldn't be encouraging developers (who also happen to be users as well) to develop for a platform they probably are not interested in. Instead taking it a step further. RIM needs to also encourage development as well. Going forward they have to be more open with their community about their software. But it really starts with the people that are interested; you. More than likely the audience you are trying to win over is not going to listen/care. It isn't as if these people aren't aware of blackberry, they just have no interest. So instead focus energy on people who do care about blackberry. That's being proactive.

/motivational speech

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk
    What an interesting reply....
    02-20-12 01:53 AM
    We can do our part by buying some apps to show our love to BB and developers will follow
    02-20-12 02:14 AM
    that isn't true at all, rovio made angry birds for the PB because people asked for it.
    They didnt make anything, they ported it. And its not because people asked for it, otherwise they would have ported it to OS 7 devices or to the early versions of the playbook OS, you know, around like 8 months ago or so. It is because of the platform and the development tools available, and im not certainly sure that rovio did the port willingly without a push from RIM, considering RIM had announced months before that it was coming to the playbook without rovio even announcing anything, hinting that RIM was involved in there.

Most high performance games in app world come from the NDK, and even unreleased versions of the NDK like need for speed or early betas like gameloft i believe. Hinting again that RIM helped push the development/port of such apps and probably were actually involved in it, without that push these apps would not have existed until the full or beta release of the NDK to the public.

So yeah, its not that people asked for it, its because they had the right tools at the right moment or development was encouraged and supported by RIM with prerelease tools.
    Last edited by gbsn; 02-20-12 at 02:43 AM.
    02-20-12 02:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD