Now a lot of people think that when John Chen says he will see how the hardware business goes he means in house hardware designing....bb10 has to run on hardware people think that blackberry will stop making phones that is not the case my friends here is the game plan and I know because I've listened and watched every article out there and both the earnings call.

First of all blackberry made a 5 year contract with Foxconn to produce low end and mid tier phones while blackberry for now will work on the high end side design and so on. Now John Chen said that eventually even with the high end phones Foxconn will eventually take over that. When he means exit out of the hardware business later IF he decides to means no in house design by blackberry but by Foxconn....

Focusing on software is where the money is and makes perfect sense. Let blackberry give the hardware part to Foxconn down the road...im interested in the software and we will get flagship high end phones as well so do not fret.

So again blackberry might stop making phones in house but as long as bb10 exists we will have hardware to run it on....so stop with the speculation people...
    04-06-14 10:52 PM
    Exactly, even JC repeated so many times that BlackBerry will not leave handset business, some people still think otherwise. Because once BlackBerry became cool again, selling a lot of phones will be a big thing.

Posted via CB10
    Carjackd likes this.
    04-06-14 11:35 PM
    The hardware is the accessory that goes with the software. It should be available to all who wish to use it. Not having it is an incomplete package.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-14 11:51 PM
    To add one more. The lesser emphasis dependence of execution strategies for the hardware division does not mean they will leave nor abandon the hardware market. But BlackBerry is also very unlikely to enter the 1st to have so and so spec race. It has been confirmed. But BlackBerry will not abandon nor be held ransom over hardware sales.

Posted via CB on BB10
    04-06-14 11:55 PM
    Blackberry's main strength has always been it's software
    This makes perfect sense

Posted via CB10
    04-07-14 12:26 AM
    You are right.

BlackBerry will eventually stop building hardware so called (in house) and allow Foxconn to own and control this.

When I say BlackBerry needs to stop making hardware, this is the outcome im talking about, essentially, outsourcing the hardware and shutting down or selling off the in house hardware manufacturing businesses.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-14 05:11 AM
    Unfortunately all you have written is speculation. If Blackberry doesn't turn sales around they will exit the hardware business, end of story.
    That's all you really have to say....bb10 will always be around blackberry would have to go bankrupt for that to happen and with 2.7 billion cash and no debt....not going to happen.....the z3 will be BlackBerry ace in the hole for bb10 adoption ....

Funny thing is to pass true judgement I have a z30 (main phone)....Samsung S4 (i9500 with the exynos chip)...iPhone 5......i own all for fun......

Samsung s4 even with less Samsung bloatware is laggy....some games force close randomly....again I find that so dumb since it has two quad-core processors and 2gb of ram but again I know it's because of the Samsung bloatware and android OS and it's running 4.4.2...going back to my z30 I cam say it's a lot faster at browsing pages...loading games....apps....and just multi taking as a whole going back forth between apps and games and messages no OS even comes close...however appreciate Google service big time when it comes to gaming and they have tons of apps and games....but that's all it has apps and games after a while you get bored of it...trust me I know.....and the keyboard on the Samsung phone isn't even close to the BlackBerry one...found it extremely frustrating to type on the s4.....also customization and options android has this hands down no other operating system comes close to this...

IPhone 5 or iOS 7 OS.....very very very smooth OS....apple has perfected the hardware to software match very impressive with 1gb ram and low dual core...tons of apps and games...very easy to use....however keyboard is a pain to use...very very restricted os unless it's jailbroken...very non productive phone......(especially business men and women I don't know how they even consider it a phone).....lack in standard hardware...nfc...dlna...hdmi out.....extremely poor battery life....definitely would have to carry a charger around...iOS 7 I don't like the look of it very teenager...girly OS...I like the flat look just like the colors and childish look to it..however I give apple this they have the best out of box straight forward to the point use the phone right away approach that anybody from a 5 year old to a 95 year old can use it.....

bb10...extremely great battery life...amazing build quality....great for multi tasking...smooth os...the hub.....stereo speaker (z30).....keyboard number one....nice display even for 720p....native apps compared to android and ios no comparison....browser super smooth....great built in apps and features....love bedside mode....integrated file manager....some android apps run better on my z30 then my s4......games and apps don't have stupid ads like android ones.....however one thing and I understand what people mean by lack of apps and games google play store and apple store has tons of options but that is gap that eventually be closed.once bb10 gets more traction....same thing happened to windows phone when they first came out....

What I say is true and I use facts and the truth
    newcollector likes this.
    04-07-14 07:13 AM
    @Anthony I like your summary. Tell the world please.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-14 07:33 AM
    True enough......however, BlackBerry has built some quality hardware. Hope subcontracting out works for them going forward.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-14 07:44 AM
    True enough......however, BlackBerry has built some quality hardware. Hope subcontracting out works for them going forward.

Posted via CB10
    I agree with you 100 percent big time on that blackberry phones have always been the toughest phones out there
    04-07-14 08:39 AM
    I agree with you 100 percent big time on that blackberry phones have always been the toughest phones out there
    A poster on another thread described the Z10 as a "whack of plastic garbage". I took umbrage with that very inaccurate description. After a couple of years of use, by 9800 and my 9810 Torch's were taking a licking and still ticking. I try to take care with my phone, but no matter how much care, I still have dropped my Z10 while cased and while naked. Still no dents, chips, scratches and it keeps rocking on. My wife's experience and my three children's (all adults) experience with their iPhones has been less stellar and a lot more costly in repairing.
    04-07-14 11:29 AM
    That's all you really have to say....bb10 will always be around blackberry would have to go bankrupt for that to happen and with 2.7 billion cash and no debt....not going to happen...
    BB has debt of $1.25B (almost half of their current cash), has already sold off their property, have let go over 4,000 employees, and is STILL burning cash at the rate of half a billion dollars a quarter. Exactly how long do you suppose that can continue?

What I say is true and I use facts and the truth
    Just not all of them.
    Drew808, JeepBB, andy957 and 1 others like this.
    04-07-14 12:07 PM
    BB has debt of $1.25B (almost half of their current cash), has already sold off their property, have let go over 4,000 employees, and is STILL burning cash at the rate of half a billion dollars a quarter. Exactly how long do you suppose that can continue?

Just not all of them.
    Perhaps it's better to just yap about BlackBerry being dead after they are really dead, Troy. Otherwise, it's just another "prediction" that is still... Dead wrong. for how many years since now? Since what, when was BlackBerry supposed to be dead? I think you even made a claim somewhere they won't last past 2013?

Posted via CB on BB10
    Nharzhool likes this.
    04-07-14 12:12 PM

Just not all of them.
    Troy do you know what convertible debentures is....???? A long term unsecured. Interest bearing corporate bond than can be exchanged for common shares.......

In other it is NOT cash debt....once blackberry surpasses a certain stock price well over $10 then that is paid back or in other words exchanged for shares.....that convertible debt is not against their cash in hand right now so scratch that off your list educate yourself before making a comment and sold of f their property and Releasing it back which is cheaper my friend and plus why would they need all that property when they are downsizing .....thats 2nd off your list......blackberry had over 20000 employees when they were at their prime and to cut cost and bring them back to profitability they had to cut jobs to stop the bleeding and that was said way in 2013 that this will happen and will continue to happen until may of this year as said numerous times....when you are in trouble and need to re invent yourself cutting jobs and downsizing makes sense in any corporation....even at rogers they are had to do it and couple of my friend we're laid off and those were on 5000 range lay offs....rogers is still standing....3rd yes they burning cash but it's far less than what it was third quarter plus with bbm channels and stickers creating revenue on its own they will show some cash flow and as well bes 12 coming in November of this year plus the z3 is launching in Indonesia in a couple of week and Indonesia has a huge population and blackberry is strong there that wil show some great bb10 adoption rate and increase in cash flow especially when the z3 goes to India Mexico Africa....and so on....so yes blackberry is burning cash right now but that will continue to decrease little by little however john Chen said they will break even by next year March....they will survive and apple back in the late 90's was far far far worse position and no one can predict the future but with qnx...bbm...bes...blackberry future is looking solid and promising....
    Last edited by Anthony Roberts5; 04-07-14 at 01:04 PM.
    Skyforever likes this.
    04-07-14 12:43 PM
    It's amazing how many people say BlackBerry is dead. They are retooling for the future and that costs a huge amount of money. But it is an investment. Prem didn't give them all that cash because he knows they are dead and Chen is his drinking buddy. He gave BlackBerry the cash as an investment and he knows the tech and the potential of QNX....i must say, BB10 is the most stable device I own by far.....its so hard to believe until you own a z30. Good work Anthony.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-14 03:11 PM
    Troy do you know what convertible debentures is....???? A long term unsecured. Interest bearing corporate bond than can be exchanged for common shares.......

In other it is NOT cash debt....once blackberry surpasses a certain stock price well over $10 then that is paid back or in other words exchanged for shares...
    And if the shares never hit that magical number, then what? Oh, yeah, it's DEBT. Don't be in denial about that - I fully understand how it works. The lenders will only "convert" if converting makes them MORE money, not less.
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-07-14 04:04 PM
    Bump for reading between Chen's lines.

From a Z30
    04-07-14 04:06 PM
    Um and where were you??? It hit that number ages ago this year earlier and now back down I believe ...or were you living under a rock....tech turn around aren't done in a quarter it takes years....apple.....ibm....these are a few examples of tech turn around that took years to happen. you really think that blackberry won't surpass 10 bucks a share you my friend are in denial......and the interest rate for the loan is extremely low because there is an option to convert hence why they took that kind of loan so be quiet saying that the loan is against there current cash in hand because it isn't so remember that......I ain't stupid you make it seem they they have zero cash in hand and have 2 billion in cash debt then that is when you worry then that is when you see bankruptcy...I am not in denial my friend you are the one with misinformed information about convertible debt.....again I have one word for "z3" that is when you will see the company start to grow in terms of market share and bb10 adoption rate.
    Skyforever likes this.
    04-07-14 04:18 PM
    There is no money in the OS, Android and Windows Phone are free.

If Foxconn can't sell enough phones they won't manufacture more.

BB10 is almost dead in the same sense that webOS is dead.

BlackBerry doesn't need BB10 to succeed, they have many assets.
    Last edited by sati01; 04-07-14 at 04:53 PM.
    04-07-14 04:41 PM
    [QUOTE=Troy Tiscareno;10217280]BB has debt of $1.25B (almost half of their current cash), has already sold off their property, have let go over 4,000 employees, and is STILL burning cash at the rate of half a billion dollars a quarter. Exactly how long do you suppose that can continue?

You're just wrong!
    BlackBerry reports a loss of nearly a half billion a quarter. But that's not at all cash as its mainly a non cash-effective write down on inventory and other stuff.

BlackBerry still has a strong cash and liquidity position compared to other companies!

You must separate the balance sheet and the cash flow calculation! Just let those do the numbers who understand them...

Posted on CB 10 and typed on the best Keyboard ever
    Skyforever likes this.
    04-07-14 04:54 PM
    [QUOTE=koebi90;10218202]

You're just wrong!
    BlackBerry reports a loss of nearly a half billion a quarter. But that's not at all cash as its mainly a non cash-effective write down on inventory and other stuff.

BlackBerry still has a strong cash and liquidity position compared to other companies!

You must separate the balance sheet and the cash flow calculation! Just let those do the numbers who understand them...

Posted on CB 10 and typed on the best Keyboard ever
    Thank you!!! These people dont understand the numbers at all but its ok end of this year and 2015 is when blackberry its truly going to shine trust me!!!
    04-07-14 05:28 PM
    Interesting form of thinking. Interesting times ahead I suppose.
    04-09-14 07:48 PM
    BlackBerry... dead since 2010 and yet, still here. lol. Realistically, this one comment he shouldn't have made because there's so many ways people can twist it.
    04-09-14 07:53 PM
    They should just make phones on demand and sell them directly online instead of wasting cash and resources to have them on carriers.

Star Wars fan? Come join us C00121E8E
    04-09-14 07:57 PM
    They should just make phones on demand and sell them directly online instead of wasting cash and resources to have them on carriers.

Star Wars fan? Come join us C00121E8E
    That would be nice; even more so if they could match carrier pricing.
    04-09-14 08:00 PM
31 12