"I really wonder what people DO for work to absolutely need their email within seconds, rather than within, say, 5-10 minutes. The only thing I can think of is a job where people have to make/accept bids. Maybe also a support role where clients email them w/ various support questions."

Personally I run a small courier business so fast emails are a must but the reality is it's expected to get them fast and deal with them fast in any job or business. Clients/Employers are very impatient now days.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-29-11 02:02 PM
    But Android doesn't support ActiveSync....does it?!?!?
    Yes..from everything i've read it does (as of 2.1 or 2.2).

It also seems there may be an issue with the specific Gmail app related to the Atrix at the moment..that could be what's causing an issue. I found a thread but nobody's been much help in it yet.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/moto...gmail-app.html

I'd head over to the Android sub forums for full clarification of Exchange..but i'm almost positive it is supported..as my real estate friend's office uses it..and he has it on his phone.
    03-29-11 02:03 PM
    Penguin, it's a mobile syncing tool primarily, I'd thought exclusively, for WM devices. It's Exchange.

I haven't read anything about ActiveSync use with Android devices....hhhhmmm....now you have me thinking....but some people use it with iPhones where there is no BES, so I would assume there are some people using it with Android.

I'm not too familiar with Exchange. We're BES.
    Look up an app called Touchdown. You might find a solution with that. It is a bit pricey though.
    03-29-11 02:03 PM
    More of an irritation right now is that I've got an upgrade waiting to get pushed to WiFi which I never use, simply because it's not feasible for me. It's not allowed at work, it's not available during my commute, and at home I have my laptop. So it looks like I'll have to spend some quality time at Union Station tomorrow to get that upgrade pushed to my device. That is annoying.
    Now if only your current Berry had Mobile Hotspot then this wouldn't be an issue

It does seem weird that AT&T would only push this thing via Wifi..I mean..what do they care really if you use your data up to download? Although I guess I could see people complaining then that they shouldnt have to pay for a software upgrade if they did go over their data..
    03-29-11 02:11 PM
    "I really wonder what people DO for work to absolutely need their email within seconds, rather than within, say, 5-10 minutes. The only thing I can think of is a job where people have to make/accept bids. Maybe also a support role where clients email them w/ various support questions."

Personally I run a small courier business so fast emails are a must but the reality is it's expected to get them fast and deal with them fast in any job or business. Clients/Employers are very impatient now days.

Not my job, hence why I asked. Of course we're expected to read & act on our emails, but it's not an IMMEDIATE need. I'm a conference call facilitator. I can see where you need immediate emails, however.

The funny thing is, at my job all the supervisors take turns being "on call" for a week. If an emergency arises, the lead on call is expected to immediately react & run into work (if they're off the clock). The lead on call phone is a BB 8530. Emails haven't even been set up on the phone. I think BBM is utilized in emergency situations, though.
    03-29-11 02:11 PM
    Lol, one thing is for sure, Android don't make it easy when it comes to email. In this amount of time I could've had 100 blackberrys set up for instant email.

03-29-11 02:28 PM
    Not my job, hence why I asked. Of course we're expected to read & act on our emails, but it's not an IMMEDIATE need. I'm a conference call facilitator. I can see where you need immediate emails, however.

The funny thing is, at my job all the supervisors take turns being "on call" for a week. If an emergency arises, the lead on call is expected to immediately react & run into work (if they're off the clock). The lead on call phone is a BB 8530. Emails haven't even been set up on the phone. I think BBM is utilized in emergency situations, though.
    Maybe emails are not allowed to leave the company's computers.

03-29-11 02:29 PM
    Lol, one thing is for sure, Android don't make it easy when it comes to email. In this amount of time I could've had 100 blackberrys set up for instant email.

This is one user. My email was setup before my device went through the initial "learn how to use your device" tutorial when you turn on the device for the first time. I know plenty of people who use exchange on their Android devices that entered their account/password and were done all within 1 min.

I can have 100 Android devices set up for instant email before most BBs even boot up. /sarcasm.
    03-29-11 02:30 PM
    This is one user. My email was setup before my device went through the initial "learn how to use your device" tutorial when you turn on the device for the first time. I know plenty of people who use exchange on their Android devices that entered their account/password and were done all within 1 min.

I can have 100 Android devices set up for instant email before most BBs even boot up. /sarcasm.
    Yeah, you set gmail up fast, what about the rest? Set them up as push I mean. And exchange is a payed for service if you own your own domain, which is another payed for service, how many people have that?

I have my own domain and I wouldn't pay more money for exchange.

03-29-11 02:39 PM
    Yeah, you set gmail up fast, what about the rest? Set them up as push I mean. And exchange is a payed for service if you own your own domain, which is another payed for service, how many people have that?

Setting up email on Android can be as simple or as complex as you need it to be. When I set mine up, I set up all my accounts via a wizard that took less than 30 seconds per account. Apparently I set all mine up to the default of 15 minutes. I didn't even know about the peak time/non-peak time fetching until last week. Everything had just worked according to my needs. I have my regular gmail, secondary gmail, two yahoo, & one hotmail coming to my phone & they all took less than 5 minutes to set up altogether. Again, one of the best things about Android is customization.

Maybe emails are not allowed to leave the company's computers.
    Not the case. Other departments whose members have BB's get email on their devices.
    03-29-11 02:42 PM

We have had this discussion before. I would not buy exchange for myself either. But for people with companies that have it, it is free for them to use (the user not the company). Email is instant on exchange. It is not hard to set up on an Android device. I know tons of people that use it every day flawlessly.
    03-29-11 02:43 PM
    We have had this discussion before. I would not buy exchange for myself either. But for people with companies that have it, it is free for them to use (the user not the company). Email is instant on exchange. It is not hard to set up on an Android device. I know tons of people that use it every day flawlessly.
    So what happens to those ones that don't have exchange?

03-29-11 02:49 PM
    Setting up email on Android can be as simple or as complex as you need it to be. When I set mine up, I set up all my accounts via a wizard that took less than 30 seconds per account. Apparently I set all mine up to the default of 15 minutes. I didn't even know about the peak time/non-peak time fetching until last week. Everything had just worked according to my needs. I have my regular gmail, secondary gmail, two yahoo, & one hotmail coming to my phone & they all took less than 5 minutes to set up altogether. Again, one of the best things about Android is customization.

Not the case. Other departments whose members have BB's get email on their devices.
    Fair enough but pulling every 5 minutes is not an alternative to push email, sure, it will do, but it will use a lot of data and incur a lot of roaming charges and it will use up your battery pretty fast, all so you can mimic blackberry push email.

03-29-11 02:53 PM
    So what happens to those ones that don't have exchange?

They deal with the wait, convert to an email account that supports push for Android, purchase an exchange license or they get a different device.

BlackBerrys support push for all email accounts due to the NOC. Other platforms do not use a NOC. The NOC has benefits and downfalls, the user has to decide what is best for them.
    03-29-11 02:54 PM
    By the way AVT, I thought you told me once that you don't need a gmail account to use an android device but sounds like Q was forced to open an account.

03-29-11 02:56 PM
    By the way AVT, I thought you told me once that you don't need a gmail account to use an android device but sounds like Q was forced to open an account.

You don't. You can skip the process all together in the beginning. I believe the only thing you need a Gmail account for is the market due to Google checkout and their policies.

There is an option to skip the creation of a Gmail account right when you first start up the device and it asks you if you have one. I have done it 100s of times when testing out new ROMs and going back to stock.
    03-29-11 02:58 PM
    Fair enough but pulling every 5 minutes is not an alternative to push email, sure, it will do, but it will use a lot of data and incur a lot of roaming charges and it will use up your battery pretty fast, all so you can mimic blackberry push email.

Roaming charges? You're really stretching on that one. Who gets roaming charges unless you're either travelling internationally or on a prepaid carrier? Plus, my battery life is just fine. I get around 15-17 hours with moderate use, more if I plug it in during my commutes. Getting email within seconds isn't a huge priority for me. I've had it set for 15 minutes & usually get it sooner than that. That's plenty for me. Now, when I was previously using Sidekicks & sometimes wouldn't get my email until 2 hours later...THAT was a problem.
    03-29-11 03:03 PM
    Roaming charges? You're really stretching on that one. Who gets roaming charges unless you're either travelling internationally or on a prepaid carrier?
    He lives in Ireland. Europe still does things like that. Just like they don't have unlimited data so BB data compression really helps some people.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    03-29-11 03:05 PM
    He lives in Ireland. Europe still does things like that. Just like they don't have unlimited data so BB data compression really helps some people.
    Yep, 1 hour's drive and I'm roaming and at least for Vodafone UK(I live in Northern Ireland and it's complicated ) the cap seems to be 500 mb and 1gb if you get a sim only contract.

Mainland Europe is even worse, you can easily cross 2-3-4 countries in a day's drive.

03-29-11 03:11 PM
    Yep, 1 hour's drive and I'm roaming and at least for Vodafone UK(I live in Northern Ireland and it's complicated ) the cap seems to be 500 mb and 1gb if you get a sim only contract.

Mainland Europe is even worse, you can easily cross 2-3-4 countries in a day's drive.

My bad. I knew you lived in Northern Ireland but I didn't realize that y'all had roaming charges. That sucks! I can totally see how BB's compressed data would be a necessity.
    03-29-11 03:13 PM

Yea. It sucks. But luckily their are devices that cater to your needs if you don't want to shell out the extra money for the others.
    03-29-11 03:14 PM
    WOW!!! who knew that my little impotent attempt so set up push on my Atrix would generate so much discussion!!!! And we've completely hijacked the thread!!!!

Anyhoo....you guys, thank you so very much for all your help.

AVT, the Atrix was a random, impetuous type of purchase. I let the guys at the AT&T store do all the set up because I was with Tim and we were both playing around with his iP4 and looking for cases, looking at the dock, etc. I figured I'd let the CS rep do it all, we were rushed, I had to catch my train....you get the picture. But he did say that gmail was required. Whether for the market or the push, I don't remember. But he did say I must have a gmail account.

I do like the phone very much. I may get to love the phone, we'll see. I do like it more at this point than I like the 3GS when I got that, and THAT says a LOT!!!! I was in love with my 3GS. Briefly. This one....I don't think this one will go back.

Oh! It's at 10% now, been off the charger for 9 hrs, 43 min and 18 s.

That said.....it is not, for me, for my day, for my wants, needs, purposes, a BB replacement. Y'all might remember one of my many arguments with all y'all when I said I didn't like the way Android handled mail....well, whether it's because I'm not doing it right or whether there is in fact something going on with the Atrix Gmail app, like Rick found in a post from Android Central, the mail solution is not as enjoyable as it is on BB.

I thank you guys, you're my new mates, I am grateful. You're very helpful.

I'm fairly certain I will keep the Atrix. It is gorgeous. But I remain a BB kind of girl!
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 03-29-11 at 03:21 PM.
    03-29-11 03:17 PM
    Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Just never believe what a store rep tells you. Most of them know jack **** about what they are trying to sell you.
    03-29-11 03:19 PM
    yah, I know....we were just two geeks in a proverbial candy store together. You don't get geeks together when one is getting a gadget and the other is in for the ride....
    03-29-11 03:24 PM
    Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Just never believe what a store rep tells you. Most of them know jack **** about what they are trying to sell you.
    Quoted for truth. Like the post a couple weeks ago where a girl who was trying out android said that a T-Mo rep said that you couldn't download email attachments to a MyTouch 4G. The rep said that you needed to MMS yourself the attachment. What bull.

Q - can you imagine what you'd think if you were able to travel in time to two weeks ago, & tell yourself that in two weeks you'd be loving an Android device?
    03-29-11 03:25 PM
211 ... 6789
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD