I'm sure it's something on my side. I'll try to go into Gmail at my desktop.

I just got a message that an update is available through AT&T but it seems that it's only available via WiFi. This is another fly in the ointment because I just don't use WiFi. Can't use it at work, can't use it for most of my day, so I've never bothered with it. Now it seems it's the only way I can upgrade.

By the way, you're my new love.....you're awesome, helping like this....
    03-29-11 10:38 AM
    I'm sure it's something on my side. I'll try to go into Gmail at my desktop.

I just got a message that an update is available through AT&T but it seems that it's only available via WiFi. This is another fly in the ointment because I just don't use WiFi. Can't use it at work, can't use it for most of my day, so I've never bothered with it. Now it seems it's the only way I can upgrade.
    From the Moto site:
    Select "Download"
    After the software is downloaded, select "Install now"
    After the software is installed, your phone will re-start automatically.
    Your phone is now updated with 4.1.57 software

It says "suggests" using Wifi because it's a 17MB upgrade..but it still shouldn't force a person to use it. If you can I'd try it anyways and see what happens..sounds like it's a good update..

Bluetooth Improved multimedia experience with Bluetooth devices as well as the ability to use phone with additional headsets

Fingerprint reader Improved fingerprint reader performance

Battery Improved battery performance for longer battery life

Screen Display will turn off automatically now while charging directly on wall charger

Phone stability Improved stability resulting in fewer occurrences of touch unresponsiveness and/or programs quitting unexpectedly.

Car dock Improved performance of car dock and 3.5mm jack
    03-29-11 10:46 AM
    So what's the deal here, I was told Yahoo and Hotmail are push and you get them in seconds, should I understand most people have them forwarded to Gmail to get push? It's confusing. Sounds like a lot of trouble just to get some emails set up.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-29-11 10:48 AM
    I'm wondering if there is a difference between "Windows Live" Hotmail and other Hotmail? Does anyone know? My Hotmail is thru Windows Live..but I can't get any concrete evidence of whether that is the only one or if there is other "versions". I'm just wondering if this is perhaps what's causing this problem
    03-29-11 10:51 AM
    So what's the deal here, I was told Yahoo and Hotmail are push and you get them in seconds, should I understand most people have them forwarded to Gmail to get push? It's confusing. Sounds like a lot of trouble just to get some emails set up.

Tbh..i'm not entirely sure. I've also been told that Hotmail and Yahoo is push when configured properly (although i've never used yahoo so can't comment)..but i've never been able to figure out exactly how to go about it. I'm definately no email expert..but I have been able to get true push for me working via Gmail (as well as using third party email handlers..although I don't use them anymore).
    03-29-11 10:54 AM
    Getting a wee bit frustrated. Going for a ride. Beating up on a stallion will make me feel better.

Rick, you're really wonderful. I really appreciate what you're doing.

Need to breathe a bit.
    03-29-11 11:04 AM

On most devices, they do show up within seconds/a couple minutes. It sounds like Q is in her situation where she needs her emails ASAP. Rick is helping her configure the fastest way possible to get her emails. Sounds like you just love reading into things.
    03-29-11 11:55 AM
    Something else that I've noticed, on my device it goes into email delivery even more, by setting times for email delivery during "peak" and "non peak" times. You can configure these yourself. Say you set your "peak" time as 8-5 M-F, and during this time you set email to immediately push to the phone. Then you have it set to have email delivered every 15 minutes during off-peak. This is just as an example, you can set it to anything you want. But, if you just change the setting to "push" without delving into the peak/nonpeak settings, it's been my experience that the peak/nonpeak settings will take priority so even if you set it to push, if you have something else set in your peak/nonpeak settings it'll default to that. I hope I'm explaining that correctly, lol. It makes more sense when you actually see this option in settings.
    03-29-11 12:04 PM
    On most devices, they do show up within seconds/a couple minutes. It sounds like Q is in her situation where she needs her emails ASAP. Rick is helping her configure the fastest way possible to get her emails. Sounds like you just love reading into things.
    The whole point of push is to get emails ASAP and to save battery life by having the server check for new emails and push them to device, doesn't matter if you need them or not. I've been told many times on this forum that Android has push for gmail, hotmail, yahoo. Then we get others saying it's not push unless you forward them to gmail. You must admit, it's a bit confusing.

03-29-11 12:26 PM
    The whole point of push is to get emails ASAP and to save battery life by having the server check for new emails and push them to device, doesn't matter if you need them or not. I've been told many times on this forum that Android has push for gmail, hotmail, yahoo. Then we get others saying it's not push unless you forward them to gmail. You must admit, it's a bit confusing.

I do admit, it can be confusing, & I admit that the fragmentation of Android is a downfall in cases like this when trying to help a new user. Not every device, skin, etc is the same so it makes it hard to troubleshoot.
    03-29-11 12:28 PM
    Holy thread hack batman.
    03-29-11 12:31 PM
    I do admit, it can be confusing, & I admit that the fragmentation of Android is a downfall in cases like this when trying to help a new user. Not every device, skin, etc is the same so it makes it hard to troubleshoot.
    I wonder how many people have been fooled by claims Android does email just as well as blackberry if not better in this forum only to find out different though. It's not about who's better really, it's about what's what and helping people make informed decisions. I decided long ago my main device is always going to be a blackberry so it doesn't really matter to me. I recognize Android is good at many things, I wish blackberry had the android google maps for example, but email ain't one.

03-29-11 12:45 PM
    I wonder how many people have been fooled by claims Android does email just as well as blackberry if not better in this forum only to find out different though. It's not about who's better really, it's about what's what and helping people make informed decisions. I decided long ago my main device is always going to be a blackberry so it doesn't really matter to me. I recognize Android is good at many things, I wish blackberry had the android google maps for example, but email ain't one.

I really wonder what people DO for work to absolutely need their email within seconds, rather than within, say, 5-10 minutes. The only thing I can think of is a job where people have to make/accept bids. Maybe also a support role where clients email them w/ various support questions.

Along the same lines as the comment you posed, I wonder how many people have been dissueded from getting an Android because they were misinformed that it's not as good as blackberry, when it would've worked just fine for their needs. For ME personally, I really don't mind getting them after 10 minutes because I like the aesthetics & functionality of the email client. Plus I like that the emails aren't truncated. These are just MY needs, though. I don't use my phone for business use, & all my closest contacts know that if they email me I'll get it fast, but if it's a dire need to get ahold of me they know to call or text.
    03-29-11 12:55 PM
    Well, I've decided to just have the five minute delay. This won't be my primary device, if I keep it. But there is obviously something that either I'm not doing right (possible) or that hotmail and gmail don't do well together.
    This is an irritation, but so far not a deal breaker as long as I have my trusty/trusted BB giving me instant push the way it always has. More of an irritation right now is that I've got an upgrade waiting to get pushed to WiFi which I never use, simply because it's not feasible for me. It's not allowed at work, it's not available during my commute, and at home I have my laptop. So it looks like I'll have to spend some quality time at Union Station tomorrow to get that upgrade pushed to my device. That is annoying.

So far, as much as I've used it today, it's still at 20% since it went off the charger 9 hrs 39 min and 36s ago. Not sure how it will translate once it's settled in.

I can now say that I've put some personal time with all U.S. platforms. Android was my least favourite and those issues that I initially didn't like about it are evident this morning. But.....it is a gorgeous device with a gorgeous display and very, very easy to change around. Thing is, if you have gmail you're fine. But I won't give up my email address for a device. And for some reason, as much as Rich tried to help me (and I love him for it) the email sync is a pain in the ever loving derriere.

Penguin - just so you know....at work, I need instant communication. When issues arise there I need to act immediately. Also, as the mum to two adorable kidlets, I am on call 25/8. You'll see if you ever have your own kidlets. Also, for my volunteer work, I must have instant communication. Five minutes' delay may not seem like a lot, but if it means notification that your darling little monster fell in the playground, you want to know five minutes *before* it happens.

Try being five minutes late to catch a plane and you'll see how important five minutes can be!!!!!

So...I've learned a lot, got frustrated, trusted my first impression, and I think I may keep this one. The iP5 may not be in my future.

Guess I'll have to break down and buy a router. They're useful anyway.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    03-29-11 01:25 PM
    Sorry if I've missed a detail here, or if you do have it set up this way and it's still not working, but I think Hotmail "push" only comes through an ActiveSync connection.
    03-29-11 01:32 PM
    I really wonder what people DO for work to absolutely need their email within seconds, rather than within, say, 5-10 minutes. The only thing I can think of is a job where people have to make/accept bids.
    Hmmm . . . how about someone who manages web and mail servers or other IT devices?

Let's say the system administrator has a monitoring feature that sends an email alert if it notices any sign of trouble. The quicker he/she is notified of the problem, the sooner it will be addressed.

There's one job where fast notification is important. I expect there may be even more.
    03-29-11 01:39 PM
    But Android doesn't support ActiveSync....does it?!?!?
    03-29-11 01:40 PM
    Hmmm . . . how about someone who manages web and mail servers or other IT devices?

Let's say the system administrator has a monitoring feature that sends an email alert if it notices any sign of trouble. The quicker he/she is notified of the problem, the sooner it will be addressed.

There's one job where fast notification is important. I expect there may be even more.
    That's the ticket. A chief of an IT Infrastructure/Enterprise group's head is on the platter if any system goes down and there is a delay in response.
    03-29-11 01:43 PM
    Penguin - just so you know....at work, I need instant communication. When issues arise there I need to act immediately. Also, as the mum to two adorable kidlets, I am on call 25/8. You'll see if you ever have your own kidlets. Also, for my volunteer work, I must have instant communication. Five minutes' delay may not seem like a lot, but if it means notification that your darling little monster fell in the playground, you want to know five minutes *before* it happens.

Try being five minutes late to catch a plane and you'll see how important five minutes can be!!!!!
    I never doubted in the slightest that you had your reasons for needing email asap. But, if/when I ever have kidlets, I'd throttle the caregiver who emails me instead of calling!
    03-29-11 01:44 PM

This I can totally see, especially since my company had its own IT troubles this morning!
    03-29-11 01:44 PM
    I never doubted in the slightest that you had your reasons for needing email asap. But, if/when I ever have kidlets, I'd throttle the caregiver who emails me instead of calling!
    LOL!!!! You've got me there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    03-29-11 01:46 PM
    I'm not entirely sure what this is...but I know I've heard the term thrown around a lot in Android discussions. What is it?

Also, have you tried other email apps like K-9 to see if they'd manage email more to your liking? I've actually never tried any of the email apps, myself.
    03-29-11 01:48 PM
    Sorry, I'm not an Android user so I don't know that.
    03-29-11 01:50 PM
    Penguin, it's a mobile syncing tool primarily, I'd thought exclusively, for WM devices. It's Exchange.

I haven't read anything about ActiveSync use with Android devices....hhhhmmm....now you have me thinking....but some people use it with iPhones where there is no BES, so I would assume there are some people using it with Android.

I'm not too familiar with Exchange. We're BES.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 03-29-11 at 02:02 PM.
    03-29-11 01:57 PM
    Penguin, it's a mobile syncing tool primarily, I'd thought exclusively, for WM devices.

I haven't read anything about ActiveSync use with Android devices....hhhhmmm....now you have me thinking....
    Just a quick google found this: Android 2.2 and ActiveSync policies – a complete guide what works | Sysadmin Lab

Does this help @ all?
    03-29-11 02:01 PM
211 ... 56789
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD