I love reading the forums. I learn so much, but I can't understand why one phone has to be "better" than another. I use and love my Bold 9650, but I also use an HTC Incredible (Android) that has a very fast browser and a gorgeous screen. Each phone has it's own unique pros and cons, but I don't think that that makes one better than the other. I personally like the Blackberry platform more than I like Android, and I would prefer to have a Torch 2 more than any other phone, but that won't happen unless Verizon gets it. In the meantime, I like the idea of being able to use both BB and android, taking advantage of each platform for different needs. Maybe that is the bottom line here. Everybody gets to use the phone or phones that they like the best while allowing everyone else to do the same without the "my phone/platform is great and your's isn't. " Having choices is a wonderful thing!
    03-26-11 09:04 PM
    I only speak for myself.
    03-26-11 09:06 PM
    Whats worse is the blatant attempt to change the discussion. I posted the talk time chart because Qbnelt had mentioned a contractor out working with an Android had to constantly worry about his battery, where she did not. To me that discussion really didn't involve 3G web surfing, not to suggest it plays zero role but I would suggest it's a much much more insignificant role compared to talk time when the discussion is centered around a work role. (which she did mentioning needing it to last FOR WORK)

My point was to show actual tests don't validate such opinions that suggest the android user must constantly be leery to use their phone.

Sigh. It cracks me up how territorial people are with their device. If next gen androids drop the ball and blackberry or windows or palm take a big step ahead.. I'll move on to them in a heartbeat.

Brand loyalty is beyond lame!! (employees and stock owners excluded)
    Two different users of two different platforms together in the same work environment during an intense install with constant emails and phone calls when it became evident that there might be a need to rollback. One user began focusing heavily on the battery life on his device while another user did not even bother with giving it a thought.
    Make of it what you will. It simply occurred.
    03-26-11 09:19 PM
    So you use mobile sites on your PC too?

I used mobile sites on my Blackberry because Blackberry browser isn't good. You do too.
    No I don't. But I never considered crackberry to be a full site delight. I certainly could use the full site on my phone. Why would I? I asked that before but got a question about my laptop.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-26-11 09:25 PM
    The only reason the BB gets better battery life is because of the lack of a touchscreen. That's it. It offers an extremely limited and craptastic user experience and is just a big pain in the **** to deal with. Every phone does email better and Blackberry offers nothing not available elsewhere (and everything Blackberry does, both iOS and Android do much better).

You Blackberry lovers are becoming an endangered species, and soon you will be extinct. Enjoy 3 year old technology on new devices, with empty promises of better things to come.

The best thing I ever did was give up my 9700. That thing would need a battery pull every day and the trackpad on it was a j-o-k-e. RIM is a dying company with no direction nor any desire to innovate.
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-26-11 09:48 PM
    So you use mobile sites on your PC too?

I used mobile sites on my Blackberry because Blackberry browser isn't good. You do too.
    I use the mobile sites on my phone because the screen is small and 3G is relatively slow. Isn't that pretty much the reason why so many sites have mobile versions? For browsing while mobile? Why browse a site that you have to zoom every page to be able to read when there's a mobile equivalent? My eyesight isn't what it used to be, so a 4.3" screen isn't going to make so much of a difference that I'd all of a sudden want to start browsing the full sites on my phone. And I don't want to carry around anything that big anyway.

Again, when talking about what's a better device than another, the discussion goes back to what works for individuals in different situations.
    03-26-11 10:01 PM
    RE: Op - I think your battery life on all-screen phones gets greatly affected by brightness. Which is why I can't deal with some of them. On my ipod touch I just CANNOT enjoy the device if I know the screen is not at it's brightest. Maybe it's stupid, but I hate looking at a dim screen. My 9700 is always at 100% and it seems to be doing great, again, probably also because half the device is not screen.
    03-26-11 10:04 PM
    I love reading the forums. I learn so much, but I can't understand why one phone has to be "better" than another. I use and love my Bold 9650, but I also use an HTC Incredible (Android) that has a very fast browser and a gorgeous screen. Each phone has it's own unique pros and cons, but I don't think that that makes one better than the other. I personally like the Blackberry platform more than I like Android, and I would prefer to have a Torch 2 more than any other phone, but that won't happen unless Verizon gets it. In the meantime, I like the idea of being able to use both BB and android, taking advantage of each platform for different needs. Maybe that is the bottom line here. Everybody gets to use the phone or phones that they like the best while allowing everyone else to do the same without the "my phone/platform is great and your's isn't. "
    Totally agree, and much more eloquently put than I typically do. I learn a lot, and I like being able to help out others and share information when I can, but ...

Having choices is a wonderful thing!
    Apparently not on this board.

You see, I'm stupid for preferring this archaic platform and underpowered hardware, and I'm rude for firing off when I'm sick of my phone, the company that makes it and the rest of the people who use it are constantly being berated and basically insulted. I should probably be living in one of those 'third world countries' where BlackBerry's are selling so well with the rest of the primatives who are buying them. This board unfortunately is getting worse by the day.

But I've resolved myself to not get in any more pissing contests for at least the rest of the weekend. My last rant was late last night, so I'm half way there. If somebody else wants to take on the troll hordes, knock yourselves out. But come Monday when I'll be in a fairly foul mode again having to go back to my craphole of a job, I'm fairly certain I'll have run out of other cheeks to turn. But for the next 36 hours or so, 'Serenity now, serenity now.'

Chrisy and Fatoomah like this.
    03-26-11 10:21 PM
    Awesome post fitty!

03-27-11 07:15 AM
    The only reason the BB gets better battery life is because of the lack of a touchscreen. That's it. It offers an extremely limited and craptastic user experience and is just a big pain in the **** to deal with. Every phone does email better and Blackberry offers nothing not available elsewhere (and everything Blackberry does, both iOS and Android do much better).

You Blackberry lovers are becoming an endangered species, and soon you will be extinct. Enjoy 3 year old technology on new devices, with empty promises of better things to come.

The best thing I ever did was give up my 9700. That thing would need a battery pull every day and the trackpad on it was a j-o-k-e. RIM is a dying company with no direction nor any desire to innovate.
    I think you need to take that big *** phone, turn the sum-bish sideways and stick it straight up....

Honestly, people are a flippin' joke for liking and what works for them.

Get off your high horse! I love my 9700 and I have had Androids and iPhones....

So it comes down to your extreme biased opinion...

Chrisy and anon(73368) like this.
    03-27-11 07:18 AM
    That is true Bold. I love hearing opinions! Just wish people didnt take it as a personal attack. It's not. Just phone talk. Geez.
    03-27-11 07:26 AM
    Same somewhat dude. I originally had a 9650, however when I came crawling back to Blackberry I was only able to get ahold of a Blackberry Tour
    03-27-11 07:42 AM
    Why are you using mobile CrackBerry and not the full site?
    It is more streamlined....avatars, location, etc don't get in the way. Ads are also gone.
    There is the option of going to the full site by clicking "return to default mode" at the bottom of the screen.
    03-27-11 07:45 AM

News to you - there is NOTHING to keep me from buying an Android device IF I WANT ONE. In fact, I C-H-O-S-E not to buy one because I DID NOT WANT ONE.
    If my experience were so "craptastic" as you call it, I would buy something else. But I L-I-K-E my experience on BB.

If and when RIM dies, I will go Apple, but I will NOT go Android because I DON'T LIKE THE PLATFORM.

Now.....the important points are in caps for emphasis. People have choices. There is absolutely nothing in this world that would keep me from getting an Android if I wanted one. I simply do not want one. I dislike the platform as much as I dislike *certain* posters who happen to use that platform because of their rude and arrogant demeanor, whose attitudes are akin to that of immature 16 year olds.

Oh, thank you for letting me know I'll be extinct in three years' time. I guess I'll have to take care of my will now.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 03-27-11 at 07:53 AM.
    jebulls likes this.
    03-27-11 07:50 AM
    Agreed. Paying $30 a month for email was getting to me. Full sites load faster on my Thunderbolt than mobile sites did on my Blackberry.

I just prefer full sites to mobile, but that's just me. Many sites that I visit do not have mobile versions. Or if they do there is functionality missing.

I like email better here because pictures are embedded, and I can view all my labels so sorting is easy.
    03-27-11 07:55 AM
    You mean these ones?

I've had two android phones, and on long trips and long days with heavy usage, i must constantly worry about my battery. With my 8900 (No 3g here) i can "forget" to charge it at night and go two days with heavy usage without worry.
    Kind of nice.
    The Bold 9780 has a glorified WAP Browser. A Samsung Jack can probably get 8+ hours of browsing as well.

Not to mention the lack of sensors, small/low rez screen that uses up less power, etc.

Measuring talk time is a bit more "even" than measuring browsing time, since cell radios are a bit more uniform in function and when you're talking the phone screen should be off most of the time unless you're surfing and talking at the same time (not possible on CDMA).
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-27-11 08:32 AM
    I have more than 1 BB + a droid homeboy. What is so hard to understand?
    What's hard to understand is you talk to people like ****.....making it seemingly if you don't like what I have, you suck, period...then turn around and say stuff like, can't we all get along. Please let's just be happy with our phones...

You are beyond confusing and as ignorant/arrogant as they come on an online forum...

I shouldn't have to put any member on ignore either. I would rather call them out on how ridiculous they act...and you are not the only one, many bad weeds around here.

Not happy with BB, then move the **** on....

03-27-11 08:32 AM
    Agreed. Paying $30 a month for email was getting to me. Full sites load faster on my Thunderbolt than mobile sites did on my Blackberry.

I just prefer full sites to mobile, but that's just me. Many sites that I visit do not have mobile versions. Or if they do there is functionality missing.

I like email better here because pictures are embedded, and I can view all my labels so sorting is easy.
    Can you view those full sites as they are on that TB without zooming them to be able to read anything on them? Say, the full CrackBerry, for example? If you can, I applaud your eyesight! If you can't, don't you find it a bit of a nuisance having to zoom, and then scroll the screen to get to the section of the page you want to read or navigate from? Or are those extra steps worth it to you for the benefit of viewing Flash content? Not trying to be snotty, I sincerely want to understand. I tried viewing full pages on a Captivate in the phone store (My Yahoo, to be specific), and while they were definitely clearer than on the Torch, there was still no way I could read them without zooming. I personally prefer not to have to do that.
    03-27-11 08:34 AM
    RE: Op - I think your battery life on all-screen phones gets greatly affected by brightness. Which is why I can't deal with some of them. On my ipod touch I just CANNOT enjoy the device if I know the screen is not at it's brightest. Maybe it's stupid, but I hate looking at a dim screen. My 9700 is always at 100% and it seems to be doing great, again, probably also because half the device is not screen.
    I'm with ya about the brightness of the screen.. When I had the Evo I had to adjust the brightness to try to save battery and it was hard to see in sunlight even with it adjusted all the way.
    03-27-11 08:35 AM
    I use the mobile sites on my phone because the screen is small and 3G is relatively slow. Isn't that pretty much the reason why so many sites have mobile versions? For browsing while mobile? Why browse a site that you have to zoom every page to be able to read when there's a mobile equivalent? My eyesight isn't what it used to be, so a 4.3" screen isn't going to make so much of a difference that I'd all of a sudden want to start browsing the full sites on my phone. And I don't want to carry around anything that big anyway.

Again, when talking about what's a better device than another, the discussion goes back to what works for individuals in different situations.
    They have mobile versions because the market used to be dominated by phones with WAP Browsers, and from a world-wide point a view, it still is. Feature/dumb phones are still over 65% of the phone market.

Then there was Windows Mobile which only had IE mobile, which was largely a WAP Browser, and Blackberry OS 6.0's browser is still pretty much a glorified WAP Browser.

"Desktop Browsing" on Mobile phones didn't really become mainstream until late 2008 or so, and for Mobile HTML5 browsers most sites that care are building HTML5 versions of their mobile sites, not WAP versions.

There's a stark difference between m.facebook.com and touch.facebook.com, for example.

Even m.bing.com was recently optimized for HTML5. Try it out, if possible.
    03-27-11 08:37 AM
    What's hard to understand is you talk to people like ****.....making it seemingly if you don't like what I have, you suck, period...then turn around and say stuff like, can't we all get along. Please let's just be happy with our phones...

You are beyond confusing and as ignorant/arrogant as they come on an online forum...

I shouldn't have to put any member on ignore either. I would rather call them out on how ridiculous they act...and you are not the only one, many bad weeds around here.

Not happy with BB, then move the **** on....

Why are you so mad?

I have multiple phones as well. If one of them sucks more than the others, what's wrong with letting people know. Just cause you prefer the phone he thinks sucks more than the others, does not invalidate his opinion.

And what's with people's obsession here with calling others rude/arrogant here? Just want to give yourself and excuse to do the same or something? You certainly are no shining example of politeness. Quite the opposite XD
    Chrisy and howarmat like this.
    03-27-11 08:40 AM

Again Chrissy looks like you had the tour with os5 IT's not a fair comparison! Like you know I've had the Evo and Now I have the Bold with OS6 and its not much different. OS6(Bold) is a big step up from the tour.
    03-27-11 08:40 AM
    I don't get it....so what if we use a wap browser....I can care less for all the ads and what not. It is a smallish screen. Even use mobile on wife's Optimus T and I used it a lot on my mytouch3G as well...

Sometimes it comes down to not wanting it to be faster, but not giving a hoot about all that jazz on a smallish screen...even on a 4.3 screen, which is small compared to a desktop computer....

03-27-11 08:41 AM
    Can you view those full sites as they are on that TB without zooming them to be able to read anything on them? Say, the full CrackBerry, for example? If you can, I applaud your eyesight! If you can't, don't you find it a bit of a nuisance having to zoom, and then scroll the screen to get to the section of the page you want to read or navigate from? Or are those extra steps worth it to you for the benefit of viewing Flash content? Not trying to be snotty, I sincerely want to understand. I tried viewing full pages on a Captivate in the phone store (My Yahoo, to be specific), and while they were definitely clearer than on the Torch, there was still no way I could read them without zooming. I personally prefer not to have to do that.
    I couldn't on the Evo when i had it so I doubt they can on the TB You still have to zoom on any web page. It was a pain in the a**!
    03-27-11 08:44 AM
    OS6 is not much better than OS5.

The biggest change is the browser, which is better, but still worse than Opera Mobile (so you can get better browsing on a Windows Mobile 6.5.x device than you get on BBOS6 still - nevermind WebOS/WP7/Android/iOS).

The OS is largely the same. Many of the changes are mostly cosmetic - and still optimized for QWERTY even if you have a touchscreen device.

Email would still be expensive for him. The email client is still pretty bad. Emails would still get truncated, and there is still no ActiveSync support in Blackberry.
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-27-11 08:47 AM
211 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD