So my class mate sitting next to me, had this huge case on her phone, I asked her you have the otter box defender series on that thing or what? Ya, she said and she let me take a look at it. Then I said holy crap its only noon and your battery is at 47%? "Ya I have to charge it a couple times a day" she says. Hmm my battery is at 90%, she said she got up at 8 am, I got up at 7:30 am (assuming this is the approximate time the phones came off their chargers).
    So I know the Iphone does web browsing way better, runs faster and stuff, but I would hate to have a phone I am afraid to pull out and use cause I have to watch my battery like that (this the first time I actually looked at the Iphone 4).

Its kinda like only having 500 minutes ya you have a nice phone, but you got watch how and when you use it and be sparing about it. I guess it was just a nice way of reminding me today how much I love and appreciate my berry, I don't ever think about my battery ever! Other than that I got admit that phone was dam fast though, but also fast to drain its life. And holy crap that defender case looked like you could roll a car over it and it would still be ok lol.
    10-06-10 03:39 PM
    Lol awesome story bro... Yeh I could imagine an iphone's battery life wouldn't be too good due to all the eye candy and speed it has

I own the curve 3G and love it so far...no lagn no nothing...sure it may not be as snappy as the iphone but its still more than useable and it lasts me an entire day under med - heavy usage

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-06-10 04:05 PM
    lol i charge my 9700 once every two days when wifi is off and im on it all day!
    10-06-10 04:07 PM
    Aah, the pitfalls of hi-res screens. Now we get to see the reasoning behind the Torches display not being up to par with the competition. I think it came down to "what good is it if the battery is dead?" My stepdaughter has a Droid, looked awesome, bad battery life. There is always going to be a trade off until battery technology catches up. Enjoyed your post geer_matt. See you in the forums!

10-06-10 04:07 PM
    The single biggest factor in battery life is using the Phone.

1500 mAHR removable/rechargeable lithium-ion battery
    Talk time: up to 6 hours (GSM� or UMTS�)
    Standby time: up to 21 days / 504 hours (GSM), up to 17 days / 408 hours (UMTS)
    Music playback time: up to 38 hours
    An hour on the phone is equal to a full day on standby, or roughly 6 hours of music playback.
    10-06-10 04:48 PM
    I'm sure the phone is the biggest drain. But considering the display is always on no matter what function you are going to use, I would think the higher res screens would have to be a contributor to shorter battery life.

Last edited by albee 1; 10-06-10 at 07:21 PM.
    10-06-10 07:14 PM
    I think one interesting stat is music playback. That requires the CPU and memory to active in addition to the standby drain. That is an indicator of how much power is being used, without an active screen display.

Applications that require a high ratio of screen on time, like videos or games, will have greater impact of power use.

The way semiconductor tech is evolving, the newest high res screens are getting the newest power management logic. The odds are good, they either use the same or less power then earlier generation displays.

Moore's Law is still in effect, every 24 months, we double everything.
    10-06-10 11:32 PM
    Good read Reed, it's amazing that they had the foresight in the 50's and 60's to even perceive something like what is occurring now. But I guess it's no surprise they named it after Moore. The scale reminds me of the Logrithmic or Decibel scale. To increase sound output by 3 decibels, one has to double the wattage of power output of an audio amplifier. Sorry to stray off the path but it's the first thing that came to mind when I read your link. Thanks again for another great educational post Reed!

10-07-10 09:07 AM
    So my class mate sitting next to me, had this huge case on her phone, I asked her you have the otter box defender series on that thing or what? Ya, she said and she let me take a look at it. Then I said holy crap its only noon and your battery is at 47%? "Ya I have to charge it a couple times a day" she says. Hmm my battery is at 90%, she said she got up at 8 am, I got up at 7:30 am (assuming this is the approximate time the phones came off their chargers).
    So I know the Iphone does web browsing way better, runs faster and stuff, but I would hate to have a phone I am afraid to pull out and use cause I have to watch my battery like that (this the first time I actually looked at the Iphone 4).

Its kinda like only having 500 minutes ya you have a nice phone, but you got watch how and when you use it and be sparing about it. I guess it was just a nice way of reminding me today how much I love and appreciate my berry, I don't ever think about my battery ever! Other than that I got admit that phone was dam fast though, but also fast to drain its life. And holy crap that defender case looked like you could roll a car over it and it would still be ok lol.
    Who sits around and watches the battery?
    10-07-10 12:30 PM
    People who don't have blackberrys.

10-07-10 12:58 PM
    Who sits around and watches the battery?
    people who are constantly worried about it being drained due to heavy usage
    10-07-10 01:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD